Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord

Just cut my cable two days ago. Our internet is paid for so all I'm paying is 8 bucks a month for Netflix. Cable is such a scam.

I haven't had cable in about three years, and I don't miss it a bit. Sports was the hardest thing to give up, but amazingly I'm still alive after all these years. $40 for internet, and all is good.

I haven't had cable in several years. Sometimes I consider getting it (well, satellite, since my road isn't wired for cable) but the cost vs. convenience puts me off.

I don't watch sports, which is huge. Other than that, I have Netflix and the internet.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I quit paying for tv around 2000. I currently pay $45 for hi speed, and $7.99 for Netflix. With Roku I get many news and movie channels for free. The only thing I've ever remotely missed is football, and I can go to a friends house or hit a bar.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    When I asked Comcast today if they would rather me drop everything than to keep me at the current price- their reply was "Yes"... I'm calling today to cancel. Scared.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Director
    Ouch. I had noticed last month that my cable/internet bill had ballooned to $160 because my Triple Play introductory period was over. I called Cablevision up and asked to talk to someone with account cancellation and explained that it was too expensive and I'd be switching to Fios. They were more than happy to lower it back to $99 and throw in all the movie channels but HBO for free.

I've done this 3 straight years.

Comcast is evil and they know they have a monopoly in my area.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

LOL

Called to cancel and they lowered it back under $139...

How do these departments not talk to each other? That's all I wanted from the beginning.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You stream over 280 GB a month?
    That was my question as well. It doesn't seem possible, but according to my account I've done it three times in the last 12 months.

How much data does streaming a movie take?

Director
    HD streaming is usually 3-4GB per 2 hour movie. SD is 500-700MB.

I stream like a mother fucker and I've never passed 110GB. That includes torrenting, steam/online gaming, streaming shit from my phone in the morning, Netflix, Amazon, Sirius.

I honestly don't know what my bandwidth cap is.

All I know is that I do TV marathons on Netflix and Hulu all the time and I've never gotten a warning call or a bill hike.

This year alone, I got caught up on Buffy, Angel and Supernatural on Netflix. That's 19 seasons at 22 hour each. Not counting all the movies, plus the weekly shows I follow on Hulu, of which there are so many. All HD.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I streamed all 240 episodes of How it's Made in HD in a single month....

JK, but that would be awesome.

Building I moved into in June forces everyone to pay for their cable package. $75 for internet and Directv. Was without cable for about six months before that and didn't miss it much.

More people cutting the cord. Could À la carte be on the horizon??

More people cutting the cord. Could À la carte be on the horizon??
    I really, really hope so. Thats my desire. I have basic satellite right now, but thats mostly for sports.

The problem with a la carte is that the good stuff that most of us watch is the expensive stuff that the lesser stuff that everyone else watches helps pay for. I just worry that we'll end up paying almost as much for fewer channels.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I streamed all 240 episodes of How it's Made in HD in a single month....

JK, but that would be awesome.
    They keep adding more! Love that show. /nerd

FYI for all you cord cutters;

Web TV service Aereo currently only works in New York City, but the IAC-backed startup is planning to roll out its service to 22 more US cities starting in the spring thanks to a hot new injection of $38 million. The service grabs in-market OTA TV signals and allows users to stream shows in real time via the Internet on an iPad, laptop or Roku. It also allows you to DVR shows for viewing whenever you want.
    The 22 chosen cities include: Chicago, Boston, Miami, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Cleveland, Kansas City, SLC, Raleigh-Durham, Birmingham, Madison and Providence

That is a really cool idea, and for a reasonable price.

The selection isn't great... so far. If it's successful, maybe they'll get more than just basic network stuff.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, it's cool, but it's just basic channels. I already have an HD antenna. I don't want DVR all that much.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah, it's cool, but it's just basic channels. I already have an HD antenna.
    That you can also stream to your iPad/phone/tablets?

That you can also stream to your iPad/phone/tablets?
    I don't like watching stuff there. Hell, I do the opposite. I have a TV in my bedroom that is only used to mirror my Kindle Fire while I watch HBO Go, Hulu and Netflix.
    Movie Theater Diary

Fair enough. I figured connected people would like the option to not be limited around the house.

I've never had cable or satellite in my entire life, haven't missed much.

When people say that $130 a month is "reasonable" it boggles my mind.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast