Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Cutting the Cord

This thread is dedicated to the frustrations of cable and the movement among MCers to cut the cord and go 100% streaming.

What are you paying for cable?

I am was paying $137/month for Comcast which is reasonable. I've never paid over this amount in the 2 years I've been subscribing.

• 1 HD/DVR Box
    • 2 Digital boxes
    • 30 MB Internet
    • Digital Voice
    • Sports Package

I noticed my bill for last month went up $5 so I called to find out WTF? The guy said that my "DVR Trial" ran out and my bill would be $157 next month $140 is my limit, I refuse to pay over that.

My negotiation period isn't until November either. I'm playing hardball- the last time I called to cancel they gave me the sports package and the DVR but they never said that my bill would go up after a year. Now its impossible to get back down to my rate even canceled the Sports Package and the DVR. (I lose Red Zone if I cancel the Sports Package- that's the only freakin thing I want out of Comcast)

I'm working with someone on Twitter- hopefully will work out.
    If not, I'll have to cancel TV everything- being a sports fan it's going to kill me.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I haven't had cable in about 3 years.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I cut the cord 2 years ago.

I dropped cable in January when Comcast moved Turner Classic Movies into a more expensive tier. I wasn't even watching it that much, to be honest, but to not even have the option was unacceptable. Apart from The Daily Show, I was watching mostly trash.

I still get internet from Comcast, and the price went up when it was no longer packaged with cable (now $80/mo), but it doesn't look like I can get a much better deal from any competitors at the moment.

I watch a lot of shows that stream on Netflix through the Roku, and I think I will probably get Hulu Plus somewhere down the line. I watch The Daily Show online, in the morning instead of the evening.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I haven't had cable in about 3 years.
    IF/When I cancel, I will go 100% streaming with Roku, PS3 and PC.

However, the cost almost doesn't seem worth it at that point either. Sure I'll have TV on Netflix and Amazon and maybe I'd think about Hulu Plus... but I need a decent internet connection for that.

To get only internet from Comcast now, it would cost me $70/month

NFL is $300/season = $50 /month
    MLBTV is $24.99 = $2/month
    HULU is $7.99/month

Now we're already talkin about $153/month with no TV channels... Doesn't feel worth it.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Haven't paid for cable since it stopped being a promotional rate of $5 a month on top of my Internet almost 5 years ago.

I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, and about one in five times, they actually have the thing I want to watch. I rent a lot of things through Amazon.

And I watch Community, The Daily Show, and Craig Ferguson for free on their networks' sites.

I bought season 3 of Louie on Amazon to receive it for $1.89 an episode as it airs. First time I've done it, and I'm pretty satisfied with it, since there aren't many shows I deem worthy of such.

I pay $1 for the Discovery channel, in addition to my internet.

I just lowered my internet speed, and now pay $50 a month to Comcast.

If it's not free on Roku or Amazon, and not easily downloadable, I don't watch it. And I don't watch sports.

TV is very unimportant to me.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    To get only internet from Comcast now, it would cost me $70/month
    Wow Comcast is fucking awful. I pay $45 for a 50Mbps service with Optimum.

EDIT: Total, I mean. I of course split that cost between 3 people.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Wow Comcast is fucking awful. I pay $45 for a 50Mbps service with Optimum.
    AND I live in an area where Fios, Charter, Cox... doesn't exist. Comcast has a monopoly in my area.

If someone signs up for "Verizon Fios", Verizon sends a DirectTV truck to your house and puts up a dish unbeknownst to the customer.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I cut the cord back in April and made it until mid-June. Now I just have the basic channels and a free DVR on top of my internet. I pay $107/month, and I think that's fair. I just didn't want to sacrifice sports. I'd rather cut something else out. I love watching Tigers games and Red Wings games with my kids (and just on my own). Months of no Tigers, even though it was likely a blessing with the way this season has gone, was too much to swallow for me.

Anyway, I'm pretty set:

- I've got an HD antenna to catch network TV.
    - I pay for Hulu Plus.
    - The lady pays for Netflix.
    - I share an HBO Go login with someone who has Fios.
    - I split Amazon Prime membership with several peeps.

For all that plus the internet bill itself, I estimate my personal spending to be about... $55 a month or less?

It's pretty cost effective to not care about sports apparently.
    Movie Theater Diary

Man... $50 is what I pay for my verizon wireless bill. If I could get both my entertainment package and wireless ~$100 that would be golden.

I've never had cable or satellite in my entire life, haven't missed much.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Is Amazon Prime worth having along with Netflix? From what I've seen, they both have pretty similar content.

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus and that's it. That is more than enough for me. Only thing I miss is college football games and the occasional big event like the Oscars, where I can always arrange to be at someone's house or a sports bar or something.

Total = less than $30/mth. (less than $65 counting the internet bill)
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Back in 2000 when my wife and I moved into our previous place, we decided to either get cable or high speed Internet. We chose the latter and haven't looked back. It's amazing how quickly we stopped missing it. Hell the TV is in the basement, hasnt been hooked up since May.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I pay $40 a month for internet (I think it's 50/25) and about $70 a month for second tier cable (maybe 200 actual channels) and one DVR.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Anyway, I'm pretty set:

- I've got an HD antenna to catch network TV.
    - I pay for Hulu Plus.
    - The lady pays for Netflix.
    - I share an HBO Go login with someone who has Fios.
    - I split Amazon Prime membership with several peeps.
    That's pretty much how I do it except I pay for Hulu Plus & Prime (which I have for shipping reasons) and I don't have HBO Go. I pay like $60 for cox internet which is 27/6.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I cancelled Directv like 6 months ago and they did everything to try and keep me but I was already done. My bill was like $120 a month and by the end of the phone call of me cancelling they were ready to knock it down to $39.99 a month and throw in free HBO/Showtime for six months. Shows how much of a markup there is on cable/satellite. I still said no.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I called and complained to Comcast when I moved from Chicago to Atlanta because they tried to hike up my bill from $100 even to $130-something. The lady somehow managed to get it back down to $100 without changing my service.

I have HDTV, basic cable, DVR, HBO, and internet with them. I've actually been satisfied.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I have been cable-less since March. It's been pretty nice, but I'm starting to get tired of using my computer as my TV. Streaming sporting events in a really crappy image quality gets really tiresome.

I do pay $37.64 a month for internet, though, so that's awesome.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Have been w/o cable for awhile now, and pay seventy bucks a month for high speed internet.

Just found out one of my wife's friends is a DirectTv manager, so we might be able to get a good discount and DSL for the same price as Comcast High Speed.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

There is only one reason I haven't cut the cord: data caps.

If I streamed everything, I'd go over my data cap and if I do it enough, Comcast will cancel my account (they've threatened to once already).

It's really as simple as that for me,

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    There is only one reason I haven't cut the cord: data caps.

If I streamed everything, I'd go over my data cap and if I do it enough, Comcast will cancel my account (they've threatened to once already).

It's really as simple as that for me,
    You stream over 280 GB a month?

Our homeowner's association pays for basic cable. That's enough for us not to cut the cord. Well, enough for me. I'll admit it: I'm a television addict. I think my husband once suggested getting rid of it, and I freaked out.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast