• Yay

5 27.78%
  • Nay

13 72.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bourne Legacy (Tony Gilroy)

The Bourne Legacy (Tony Gilroy)

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Posted some thoughts in the upcoming thread the other day. It's just awful.

Here's my review.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Harry says the opposite. This video is a riot btw. I didn't know he did a segment like this.

[youtube]AD-_qWmhMKU[/youtube]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Posted some thoughts in the upcoming thread the other day. It's just awful.

Here's my review.
    lol

"The CIA, apparently, operates like Dragon Ball Z."

Also, according to Harry, there's already talks of a Bourne/Cross film where they fight more CIA agents together.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Maybe they can meet Frankenstein.
    Movie Theater Diary

Harry Knowles is the most bent reviewer around. He'll give any film a positive review if the studio gives him nice things.

That is a pretty cool poster though.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Gotta agree with everything 8 says. Plus it's shockingly boring. So many fucking conversations about shutting down programs and so few scenes where anything actually happens.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Mild nay. Given the pedigree, it is disappointing. It is subdued enough that there's enough time for one's mind to wander. So I start to think, no wonder it took eleven years to get Bin Laden. Our national intelligence community is too busy being at war with itself.

It's a shame because I like everyone involved. I liked the idea of a story running concurrent with the events of the last (and best) film. I especially liked the Alaskan training ground with the window into how these assets hone their skills. Cross laying in bed and seeing Bourne's name carved into the wood was a great little moment. Lots to like, but the hints in the trailer that suddenly this franchise would take a serious sci-fi turn bore unfortunate fruit. The whole dependency on pills subplot felt kind of out of date and it's not like he needed them to stay alive or anything.

The action is by now routine. The Manilla chase feels only like a bridging action scene to a real climax. Only it never comes. The film has one of the most anti-climatic endings I've seen in a long time. As soon as the Moby song fires up, I'm thinking, 'Seriously?'" After 135 minutes too. The theater manager asked me what I thought and as soon as I mentioned the ending, she told me others have said the same thing.

Other elements are starting to feel cliche. The asset activated to go to Manilla is not only an asset, but a super asset! With reduced empathy and everything!

[
    ]

The way other operations were carried out also had me asking questions.

[
    ]
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

CHEMS?

CHEMS!
    Movie Theater Diary

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    ^ I wish someone would viral me out!
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    [
    ]
    This scene was so bad. The kitchen conversation was way too long, overwrought, and full of dialogue reminding Weisz of things she didn't need to be reminded of for the audience's benefit. Watching it I was thinking, "There's no way they sat in the edit bay and said, 'This is really flowing, I think we're done here.'" The movie totally lost me here after barely ever having me.

Also, I know the series hasn't been completely realistic, but at least Bourne and his fellow Treadstone agents seemed plausible, only slightly heightened in their physical abilities. Legacy pretty much throws this out of the window and on a couple of occasions adds in crazy jumping abilities that look like something out of Twilight. WTF?
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Yeah, I was hoping that aspect would be a little subdued, but nope, movie opens with Renner leaping 20 feet across mountain peaks.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah, I was hoping that aspect would be a little subdued, but nope, movie opens with Renner leaping 20 feet across mountain peaks.
    That I kind of bought, but Oscar Isaac jumping down from that tree and the LARX agent jumping onto that blue structure in Manila were ridiculous.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    That I kind of bought, but Oscar Isaac jumping down from that tree and the LARX agent jumping onto that blue structure in Manila were ridiculous.
    Ha, I forgot about that shot. You're right, that's straight out of a vampire movie.
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Yeah, definitely a nay. It's just sooooo thin. It's like 20 minutes of story stretched out over two hours. Also, Renner is no Damon, and that's not something I expected to say. I didn't care for his take on a "program participant." Love Weisz though. She absolutely nails "distressed, psychologically exhausted female" time and time again. Wasn't a train wreck or anything, just not terrible interesting for the majority of the running time.

[
    ]
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

CHEMS!
    Movie Theater Diary

BLUES! GREENS!
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Right after I got out of the theatre my vote was a mild yay, but as time has gone on, the worse this one sits.

It cant stand on its own, its chase scenes were repetitive and boring and the main plot thread is just too much to take

BLUE
    GREEN
    VIRUS!

Yeah...next, please.

A nay from me as well. I too found it disappointing. I agree movie has one of the worst chase scenes I've seen in years. It went on for far too long and I could actually hear people next to me in the audience sighing.

Yay for me, but obviously with reservations. I think there's enough quality (good helmer, nice cast) on offer to entertain and engage, but it really lacks the propulsive energy and economy of plot of the last one, instead getting bogged down in scientific hogwash about C-H-E-M-S and far too many shady gov't types arguing about what needs to be done or else. The Weisz interrogation scene was cringeworthy, completely unnecessary. I Actually found her acting grating in that scene, yelling and then yelling some more although the dialogue wasn't too strong either. But really, like Ebert said about The Bourne Ultimatum, "what happens is essentially immaterial. What Matters is that something must happen, so the hero can run away from it or towards it." Indeed, The penultimate movie didn't really have anything major to reveal, but the direction and editing were astonishingly exciting and, to a lesser extent, that is the case here. The final chase sequence is one of the action highlights of the year.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    The film could have done more to explore the idea of drug-dependent agents, the romantic relationship felt more obligatory than organic, and I thought the third act went a bit limp — but it kept my interest the whole way through, and I did care about what I was watching.

Surprising light on action, but whatever was there was far better filmed than much of the action elements in the last two films. And Jeremy Renner is extremely watchable.

Hope they do another one.

★★★★★
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

You know, Max, there was a point, a specific scene in Manila, where I thought they were going to push the romantic angle by having Aaron and Weisz kiss, but I'm glad they didn't. There was something there allright, but virtually by default because he kept her alive. So obligatory sounds about right actually.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Yeah, it's a mirror of the first movie in which a relationship of mutual benefit transforms into something more. I felt they needed to develop the relationship between the two leads a bit more before I could believe Weisz's caring so much about Jeremy Renner.

Still, the no kissing thing helps save the relationship moving from "obligatory" to "forced." So I suppose that's something.

Also, I'm not as against the chems as everyone else. I actually liked the idea of hooking your agents on performance enhancing drugs, and it's a nice callback to the first movie in which agents are given pills to (supposedly) suppress their headaches and disorientation resulting from the extreme nature of their training. If anything, I thought they could have done more with that idea. Maybe they will in the next one.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast