Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Thread

Wolverine MAX is such a dumb idea.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Checked this out.... Pretty dumb issue.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    my main reason for checking it out was that i thought connor willumsen was drawing the whole thing.

flipped through it at the shop. while willumsen's pages look excellent, most of the book is done by boschi which doesn't measure up. i passed

I love me some Boschi, but it looks like he's getting more conventional. My story is an echo of 'capelli's.

So, if I was a star-rating man these days, thus far my ratings'd go like this:

Uncanny Avengers: ***1/2
    Iron Man: **** (huge surprise, terrific angle)
    Deadpool: ***1/2

Quite impressed. Love the preview pages on most of the others, too.

deadpool didn't do anything for me. i won't be picking up issue #2.

This is potentially great.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    Except that I have yet to read a good comic by Bunn, and his work on Brubaker's Captain America constitutes some of the worst comics I've read this year.

I like The Sixth Gun.
    Movie Theater Diary

I LOVED "Iron Man" #1.

New, fresh approach to some popular ideas and what looks to be a great new storyline.

Shaving Tony was a hilarious little twist :lol:
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Huh... Iron Man's premise seemed boring to me, so I skipped it.

For some reason I thought a few more NOWs were coming out. Deadpool didn't really interest me, but I got it anyway. I'll read tomorrow. Guess I'll pick up Iron Man too.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Can't say I was very impressed with Iron Man at all. Seems very generic and even Gillen's characteristic wit is fairly muted. Some charming moments but overall it's pretty bland, and of course Greg Land is so boring and slick. I'll probably keep reading for a bit to see if it picks up, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Gillen does with Young Avengers much more.

Didn't like Deadpool at all either, besides Tony Moore's art. Remender's handling of the character is just so much better in every way, and after reading his more nuanced take on Deadpool, it's hard to go back to the dumb jokey action version.

Uncanny Avengers was a good start though.

i thought iron man seemed promising. i've never read gillen before and i'm interested in checking out more of his work now.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i thought iron man seemed promising. i've never read gillen before and i'm interested in checking out more of his work now.
    The best stuff I've read from him is the second Phonogram miniseries (the first is a bit uneven but worth reading to be introduced to the concept) and some of his recent Journey Into Mystery run. JIM is pretty spotty as well (it seems like he's never had a real consistent run on anything) but it had quite a few standalone issues that were some of the best comics Marvel has published in the last couple of years.

I'll keep reading his Iron Man because he's definitely capable of moments of brilliance. I wish he had a different artist though.

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    some of his recent Journey Into Mystery run. JIM is pretty spotty as well (it seems like he's never had a real consistent run on anything) but it had quite a few standalone issues that were some of the best comics Marvel has published in the last couple of years.
    What are some of your issues with JIM?

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    What are some of your issues with JIM?
    I don't think that Gillen's nearly as good at long-form plotting as he is at dialogue, humor, characterization, and done-in-one short stories. His longer arcs tend to drag a bit. The New Mutants crossover I thought was pretty lousy, though that's not entirely his fault. And at times he tends to overdo the extravagantly written narration boxes, especially early on in his run when he was doing all those Fear Itself tie-ins. Those issues are really overwritten.

But again, he could come out with some amazing single issues, like the one where Volstagg tells his kids a story. And I love his characterization of Kid Loki throughout the run. I do mostly like his JIM, but like everything else I've read by him, not without qualification.

Looking at his bibliography, he actually hasn't written a ton of comics yet - I think he'll only get better and is definitely someone to watch, but he isn't quite there yet on a consistent basis.

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    at times he tends to overdo the extravagantly written narration boxes
    i definitely noticed this tendency in Iron Man. i assumed it was just because it was a #1.

I am not a stranger to this odd tendency among some comics readers to be averse to reading words. Do you guys dislike Golden- and Silver-age comics? Gillen's books are like See Spot Run compared to pretty much anything written in those eras.

I'm fine with lots of words in a comic if it's done well, but 9 times out of 10 a comic with lots and lots of text boxes is going to feel really clunky. Scott Snyder's another big offender among writers who I otherwise mostly like. If it's not done well, just throwing tons of wordy text boxes onto every page really messes with the pacing and the balance of words/images in a comic.

And yeah, I find a lot of older Marvel/DC comics REALLY tough going for exactly that reason.

i'm pretty much in agreement. it CAN work, but more often than not it disrupts the flow of the comic.

Yeah, Deadpool #1... Pretty silly. Won't be moving on with that one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A few more Marvel Now titles out this week. Here's my quick rundown of everything that's come out so far.

Uncanny Avengers - Pretty good balance of the big epic flagship title it's meant to be with some typically Remenderesque high-concept weirdness. Great final page that sets the tone for what's to come. ****

Deadpool - Really silly and pointless, and even Tony Moore's art can't save it. *

Iron Man - Could get better but so far it's pretty bland and feels like it's just regurgitating familiar ideas and characterizations for Tony Stark. **

All-New X-Men - Lots of promise here. The 1st issue is mostly all set-up since the premise - time-traveling original X-Men - is only introduced at the very end, but it's got me very excited for what comes next. A solid intro. ***1/2

Fantastic Four - Another one that's solid and promising rather than fully exciting yet. Some nice banter, a good feel for the characters right out the gate, and an interesting premise that suggests lots of opportunities for great stories and ideas. Bagley is as always competent but not exactly exciting, unfortunately. ***1/2

Thor: God of Thunder - The best Marvel Now 1st issue so far, it's just a great concept, perfectly executed. Three Thors from throughout history, gradually getting closer and closer to a powerful threat. Epic and intense, with some welcome flashes of humor and character to leaven the drama. ****1/2

X-Men Legacy - Wasn't expecting much out of this one but it's intriguingly off-kilter and quirky, very odd. Love all the bizarre scenes set inside Legion's mind. I'm not really familiar with Legion at all but this issue definitely has me interested in where this is going. ***

Avengers Assemble - I love DeConnick's Captain Marvel so I wish I could say this is another hit from her, but it's pretty lame honestly - second-rate Bendis with lots of goofy dialogue and countless stiff talking head panels. Still better than Deadpool I guess. *1/2

i wasn't overly fond of the art in thor, but it's probably the best written of the books i've read to date. fantastic four suggests fraction has an idea in mind for the FF books, and i'll be sticking around because FF is drawn by allred, but it doesn't have its hooks in me yet. i'm not really interested in bendis's x-men.

I enjoy that White has adopted a softer palette for Thor, it being a nice complement to the coloring style Ribic uses on his covers.

Paul Cornell and Alan Davis on a new book should excite me. That it is a Wolverine book makes me so not excited.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast