Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Thread

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    It is third, after Uncanny and New. Sorry, but Greg Land...
    well greg land didn't draw the latest issue

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    well greg land didn't draw the latest issue
    ...and Schiti is definitely not shitty. I'll probably read it in trade so I can zip through all the crossover silliness.

Greg Rucka writing a young Cyclops series?!

Yeah. He didn't really address the open letter he wrote about Marvel and DC in that CBR interview. Weird.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm a Spurrier fanboy, for sure. X-Force was going to be my opportunity to demonstrate restraint, but unfortunately it ended up being pretty damned entertaining. And the art is effective. I disagree with the naysayers.

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    Is the word on X-Force negative so far? I liked the first issue a lot.

Legacy ending ruled, too.

I'm a Spurrier fanboy, for sure. X-Force was going to be my opportunity to demonstrate restraint, but unfortunately it ended up being pretty damned entertaining. And the art is effective. I disagree with the naysayers.
    i find the art absolutely hideous, but in a kind of appealing way

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    Legacy ending ruled, too.
    "Ruled" barely scratches the surface. I've read the whole thing twice, and I still can't figure out how Spurrier successfully actualized a character out of existence (a nice rejoinder to the similar gesture made in Numbercruncher). That's some sorcery right there. Emotional, dazzling, hysterical, intricate, uncompromising. Contender for the best at being what comics can be, marred only insignificantly by Khoi Pham, whose work wasn't even that bad anyway.

"Ruled" barely scratches the surface. I've read the whole thing twice, and I still can't figure out how Spurrier successfully actualized a character out of existence (a nice rejoinder to the similar gesture made in Numbercruncher). That's some sorcery right there. Emotional, dazzling, hysterical, intricate, uncompromising. Contender for the best at being what comics can be, marred only insignificantly by Khoi Pham, whose work wasn't even that bad anyway.
    Just finished it. It's incredible...those last few pages really, really got to me. Didn't know much about Spurrier beforehand, but definitely a guy on my radar now.

Daredevil continues to be the most consistently great ongoing. I kept waiting for the quality to dip at some point these past few years,a dm it's only gotten better if anything. Looking forward to the "reboot" next month.

I'm still not really interested, but holy crap, the art on the new Ghost Rider is sexy as hell.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Tradd Moore is amazing. I know nothing about the writer on that book and don't care about Ghost Rider much, but Moore doing Ghost Rider is such a no-brainer brilliant pairing that I'm sure I'll at least love looking at it.

I just wish Moore was paired with Ales Kot on something like this at Marvel; the Zero issue they did together is one of my favorite comics.

I'm way too intrigued not to shell out for a least the first couple issues.

Skottie Young is writing and drawing a Rocket Raccoon solo series.

Marvel ain't kidding around with fan service.
    Movie Theater Diary

Moon Knight kicks ass.

Hawkeye 17. Yes.
    Movie Theater Diary

Eh, it was not bad. I admire the ballsiness of it more than I actually love it.

Any Hawkeye fans should be reading Ales Kot's new Secret Avengers. The first issue ruled and had a distinct Fraction Hawkeye vibe to it. Kot's skyrocketing up my list of favorites lately, and this was a total blast, like a mix of Hawkeye, Nextwave, and Kot's own Zero.

So... Silver Surfer #1. They weren't kidding about it being influenced by Doctor Who. Silver Surfer being told by an omniscient thing that this one Earth girl is the most important person to him in all of time and space, but he doesn't know who she is yet, and it's implied that their relationship is a time paradox because she'll become important to him in the future after traveling space with him.... It reads exactly like a Doctor Who premise.
    Movie Theater Diary

Three-quarters done with Battle of the Atom (HC checked out from work). It's aggressively bad. I kind of can't believe the fumbling of the talent involved. Anyone look at those Bachalo issues? Easily rock bottom. And I've been trying to give Bendis a pass since being overwhelmed by Powers, but this is some seriously lazy writing.

But definitely love those Art Adams covers (his covers for Remender's Secret Avengers run are some of my all time favorites).

So glad I slogged through the morass of BotA, a truly, truly meaningless lump of doggerel, because the new Doop issue is some hardcore rockage. Milligan's disdain for the X-book modus of convolving everything beyond reasonable sense is a song I know all too well, and I love him for singing it. Awful comics redeemed by the inexplicable, green marginista.

I'll say it. Fire Hickman from Avengers, replace him with Al Ewing.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'll say it. Fire Hickman from Avengers, replace him with Al Ewing.
    i've been kind of underwhelmed by his avengers for a while, but the latest new avengers was great. not that mighty avengers has been all that impressive either

forget the avengers though, what about that moon knight

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    what about that moon knight
    I like Shalvey's visual evocations, but kinda was hoping for more character work (last pages of the first issue have been the height so far). Latest was a great bit of setpiece, like the best Global Frequency issues, but the all-flash approach is a little distracting. Coulda been Batman. Coulda been The Punisher. I like Ellis with more of an intent.

Hickman's New Avengers has consistently been a lot better than Avengers. I wasn't crazy about that last Avengers arc (part of it could've been the Larocca art) but NA seems to be getting back to the slowly creeping dread and gloom that characterized it in the earliest issues, before Infinity intervened. I love NA.

Of the newer series, my favorite is probably She-Hulk. It's just delightful, a really fun book with some sharp character work and beautiful art from Javier Pulido. Moon Knight is good, I like the art and like Ellis in propulsive mainstream action mode, like a solo/urban version of his Secret Avengers approach. Speaking of, Kot's new Secret Avengers reads like a mix of Ellis' Nextwave, Fraction's Hawkeye, and Kot's own style, and it's a ton of fun. Kot's Iron Patriot seemed kind of forgettable though. I'm really enjoying Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer, and Iron Fist.

Lol all new Doop!!

Movie Theater Diary

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast