Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Marvel Comics Thread

I don't understand why they'd have an Ultimates title without an Ultimates. It looks like it's gonna be pretty much Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers but taking the name of a defunct alternate universe's team name. Kinda weird.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

[
    ]

I dunno about post Secret Wars Marvel, but I'm loving the culmination of Hickman's General thesis on the nature of Marvel and yada yada. Incredible work from Ribic, too.

Working on something a bit more thorough than my blurbies, so I will not be so sweeping with them anymore, but I do feel compelled to mention that Soule/Yu's Civil War tie-in is $%&#in' brilliant, and intertwines perfectly with Hickman's crux.

Pretty much all of the bad ancillaries have been X-Men books. Why's there got to be so many of them? And how do they all exist in this Battleworld.?

Although Gage/Diaz did bring a whole new level of boring to their Spider-Island outing...

One thing I really love about Marvel Unlimited is the "Events" feature where you select a story and they list you everything that's tied to it in chronological order. Makes it really easy to be a crossover completist. I'm current re-reading World War Hulk, but this time, with all the Hulk, Iron Man, Frontline, Avengers, X-Men, etc tie-ins. Even the completely inconsequential Ant-Man and Ghost Rider tie-ins.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I got a Marvel Unlimited subscription. I've been reading a lot of early Lee/Kirby stuff that I never read. Early Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, and others. All awesome stuff. Dated for sure, but there is some stuff that packs a punch. I love on certain issues they still include all the fan letters at the end of the issue. Reading fan letters from young black readers praising Lee for creating Black Panther is timeless and really emotional to read.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I'm about to move to Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men which I've never read a single issue. I'm excited.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I always felt like there's one popular Spider-Man missing during Spider-Verse. They finally fixed that mistake in Web Warriors.

Movie Theater Diary

Heh.

That's funny.

Anyone read the new Stan Lee autobiography, Amazing Fantastic Incredible?

I'm finally digging down into Matt Fraction's Iron Man run. I think it was more interesting than I (and many) gave it credit for.

It made me think of a new yardstick to measure against, and that is, how self-contained can a run feel like when you're reading it almost a decade removed from when it was published, even though it did not disassociate from the continuity at the time? This book cuts through many crossovers, and it's about a character who is absolutely central to all those events, so it had to link directly with them, and yet when taken out of those contexts today, it still reads like its own ongoing story.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Sven, a few years ago (view post)
    Fraction's Iron Man... Larroca's pages move... clearly knows how to tell a story... Incredible series... Easily Fraction's best work.
    Awesome! I got it right. I've always liked that one, and am constantly flipping back through it for great moments. The Doc Ock arc is probably my favorite part.

Secret Wars finale felt kind of off. Enjoyed it, though. What are the best "all new" series now? I've been avoiding them all.

the vision

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    the vision
    Holy shit, this is good. I'm sure this will only get a 12 issue run before its canned.

Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Ironheart Eh?

Hmm.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So these are pretty interesting and worth a watch if you've got a little bit of time. A series of hour long documentaries taking a look back at the X-Men series.

And she also just released the third one on youtube earlier this week:

Saladin Ahmed is writing a new Black Bolt ongoing.

Kinda funny that the answer to the question "How do you write superheroes for Marvel?" is of recently, "Become an award-winning novelist first."
    Movie Theater Diary

https://www.adl.org/education/refere...s/thors-hammer

Has there ever been a Thor story that addressed Mjolnir's use by white supremacists? I think that'd be a pretty cool idea for a one-shot.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718