Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott)

Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    @trans Boner's comment wasn't witty (I saw the same 'joke' less than a week ago from, iirc, DavidSeven) and it wasn't interesting. You can parse the meaning of the word snark and maybe throw a few smilies around, but it doesn't make your comments any less douchey.
    While I'm glad to have you around as my moral compass, I'm still of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with Madman's opinion, Boner's retort or my view that Madman over-reacted to it. If that makes me "douchey" well, so be it.

I like Madman (the feeling is not mutual, as I understand it ) but I do think he overreacts to those who disagree with him, mistaking banter that happens with everyone else all the time as some sort of personal attack, which on a forum this good-natured is simply not the case.

As such, in this case, I don't think it is our job to tip-toe around Madman as if he was a live hand-grenade, being careful not to use the wrong words in case he explodes; simple conservation of energy suggests it is his job to take these things a little less seriously. I wish he would - it would make a valuable member of this forum (his participation rates, energy, wide ranging enthusiasm and sometimes unique take on certain issues - diversity of opinion is the life's blood of a forum etc) even better. Now Madman will take my advice or he won't, and I'm not going to storm off if he doesn't, but I think I'm within my rights to offer it. And there was definitely no malice involved on my part in doing so.

As a sideline, I don't get why someone with so much concern about the feelings of others would be so quick to dish out the personal insults to everyone else, the only person to have actually done so in this discussion.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting max314 (view post)
    At the risk of interrupting an insightful semantics debate, I'll offer my own thoughts on a potential Prometheus sequel by saying I believe there is still a premise full of promise and potential, and a director who can make things look amazing.

Lindeloff's modus operandi of giving us setup after setup without any real payoff could end up being a blessing in disguise in that the big answers are still...y'know...unanswered.

If we get a good writer on board, Prometheus 2 could be The Dark Knight to Scott's second run on the Alien franchise. For me, this is a more than apt analogy because I always found Batman Begins emotionally and imaginatively underwhelming, whereas The Dark Knight blew the damn doors off their hinges.

So yes, I'm cautiously optimistic. About both this and the upcoming Blade Runner sequel.

Now excuse me while I cure this rekindled disappointment with Prometheus with a dose of Guy Pearce as Peter Weyland promising to change the world.
    The thing is, the first movie did such a bad job laying out the rules of its universe that it very possible that the sequel could turn out to be fantastic. It can pretty much just choose one of those random story strands and make something interesting from it - it's not trapped by an iron-clad premise or backstory from the first one. The utter mess of the first film is a bizarre advantage here.

But I sure as hell ain't optimistic about it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

For fucks sake...

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    For fucks sake...
    ...I know, a friggin' Prometheus sequel.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I found Madman's reply to my pithy, funny retory to be highly offensive and damaging to my self-esteem. It's a real testament to the lax moderation of this forum that Madman hasn't been banned for his poor forum conduct. For shame, Raiders/Spinal/KF/chrisnu. For shame.

Okay, I'm going to weigh in on this little argument.

[youtube]fLVZAoQB2fI&feature=related[/youtube]
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I found Madman's reply to my pithy, funny retory to be highly offensive and damaging to my self-esteem. It's a real testament to the lax moderation of this forum that Madman hasn't been banned for his poor forum conduct. For shame, Raiders/Spinal/KF/chrisnu. For shame.
    The overreactions by everyone in this thread made this post all the more worthwhile and hilarious. Good lord, people. I didn't think I had this much impact around here :P

And no I don't ask anyone to change their posting styles around here, especially for me. My ego doesn't need to be fed or satisfied, for one thing. Forget that.

Now let's get back to how awesome the Prometheus sequel is going to be. Ridley Scott fan for life, yo.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

If I lived on the same continent as you, I'd buy you a beer.

Here is a POV shot of what that might look like:

Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I wonder if at some point either in Prometheus 2 or a sequel thereafter that Ridley Scott tries to explain how the derelict spacecraft wound up on LV-426...

:crazy:
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I don't know what kind of beer that is, trans.

Wait shit, its a trap! RUN!!!

BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I wonder if at some point either in Prometheus 2 or a sequel thereafter that Ridley Scott tries to explain how the derelict spacecraft wound up on LV-426...

:crazy:
    "Questions Will Be Answered"

I think there's some timeline continuity issues with that. That crashed ship looked like it had been there for a long long time. It looked like it was built into the ground?

Alien 3 takes place in 2179, (Alien R: in 2379)

In Aliens, it was stated she was in cryo sleep for 57 years, which makes the events on Alien take place around 2122.

Prometheus takes place in 2093. Whatever happens in that time frame, is 29 years enough time to show the events of that crashed ship? Maybe the hostile environment is an explanation? Just throwing facts around.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ship could've crashed on LV-426 at anytime though before Prometheus even, right?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Isn't it stated that the ship in Prometheus is not the only one? Apparently, the planet is peppered with them.

I suppose it wouldn't be too wild to conclude that there may well be ships on other planets as well.

Of course, that begs the question why that one Engineer suddenly got a boner for humanity's destruction. What about the other ships? Why did they apparently fail their mutual missions to destroy Earth?

I await the almost inevitably unsatisfying answers to these questions and many more besides.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

I'm pretty much done with Ridley Scott. Dude's only made 3 good films and that was nearly 30 years ago.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Thing is, when Scott started out, he was a young man who surrounded himself with master artists and technicians; great writers, great cinematographers, great editors, etc.

Now he's the Old Guard, but he's surrounded by a bunch of ADD kids. Novices who have made it big.

I'm making a sweeping generalisation, of course, but I have a feeling this has something to do with Scott's decline. The fact that the only performances worth watching in Prometheus are from the real master thespians and that all the relationships feel forced should reinforce the fact that Ridley is just not an actor's director, and without a bloody good screenwriter penning his scripts, his stories and their characters are amateurishly rendered and barely worth watching.

Hm. Re-reading that, I think I sound more pissed off than I really am. But I still stand by the content.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting max314 (view post)
    Isn't it stated that the ship in Prometheus is not the only one? Apparently, the planet is peppered with them.

I suppose it wouldn't be too wild to conclude that there may well be ships on other planets as well.

Of course, that begs the question why that one Engineer suddenly got a boner for humanity's destruction. What about the other ships? Why did they apparently fail their mutual missions to destroy Earth?

I await the almost inevitably unsatisfying answers to these questions and many more besides.
    Well I'm not suggesting that any of the ships we see in Prometheus is the one that crashed on LV-426.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'm pretty much done with Ridley Scott. Dude's only made 3 good films and that was nearly 30 years ago.
    Have fun with that. I'll keep enjoying his movies, Robin Hood aside.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    - said no one ever

[]
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ship could've crashed on LV-426 at anytime though before Prometheus even, right?
    Correct.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Prometheus may still have the best thrilling scene of the year in that birthing scene though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Prometheus may still have the best thrilling scene of the year in that birthing scene though.
    I'll take the first Batman/Bane fight in TDKR, the splash-page hero shot in The Avengers, and the bit when the

[
    ]

in Cabin in the Woods.

Me too. I say he's still one of the best working today.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    - said no one ever

[]
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Me too. I say he's still one of the best working today.
    Is my response, with an additional "What, too lame to come up with an original and new insult?" thrown in for good measure. Get neg raped, Wats.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

"What, too lame to come up with an original and new insult?"
    Get neg raped, Wats.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)