Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott)

Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available.
    That'll do pig.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I read 'Lindelof might not be available' and smiled.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I actually am bummed that Lindelof won't possibly be working on the sequel. And yes I'll see it in theaters.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

You’ve got a person [Noomi Rapace’s Elizabeth Shaw] with a head in a bag [ Michael Fassbender’s David] that functions and has an IQ of 350. It can explain to her how to put the head back on the body and she’s gonna think about that long and hard because, once the head is back on his body, he’s dangerous.

So that’s the sequel?

[Laughs] I wish it was that easy. They’re going off to paradise but it could be the most savage, horrible place. Who are the Engineers?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    They should double down on the stupid in this one and have a chemist try to grab an unknown kind of acid.

I think I'm just going to pretend that there are three awesome Alien movies, a slight misstep, and nothing else happened in the franchise after 1997.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I think I'm just going to pretend that there are three awesome Alien movies, a slight misstep, and nothing else happened in the franchise after 1997.
    Ignoring both AvP movies, your statement is true.

Man I wish Prometheus was better. The fundamental premise has so much promise. Loved that opening sequence.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I actually am bummed that Lindelof won't possibly be working on the sequel.
    ...said no one ever.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    ...said no one ever.

(I think I found my response to any and all stupid fucking snarky comments from now on. Thanks Sherlock!)
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It's not a snarky response. It's a funny, pithy retort.

You need to stop taking disagreement so personally.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

It's snarky. But more importantly, its tired.

Yup. Snark. But I admit to laughing at it.

MM's opinion on Lindelof is in the minority, otherwise it wouldn't be funny.

- - - - -
    It doesn't matter who's writing what. At this point, it doesn't look like anyone can save Scott from his own worst impulses.

Snark implies malice or a personal attack to me. Hence, no snark. Look at the facts:
    - Madman gives an honest opinion
    - Boner M disagrees and decides to make a funny reply to note this.
    - Life goes on.

Show me a history of Boner M hating on Madman or any other poster on this board, and I may reconsider.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Snark implies malice or a personal attack to me. Hence, no snark. Look at the facts:
    - Madman gives an honest opinion
    - Boner M disagrees and decides to make a funny reply to note this.
    - Life goes on.

Show me a history of Boner M hating on Madman or any other poster on this board, and I may reconsider.

Snark = a Combination of "snide" and "remark"
    Snide = Derogatory or mocking in an indirect way

It's Snark.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Two things:

a) It doesn't matter if it is snarky or not. It's harmless and if taken seriously, the fault of the recipient and not the giver.

b) I couldn't have less faith in Scott to make a quality film ever again.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Snark = a Combination of "snide" and "remark"
    Snide = Derogatory or mocking in an indirect way

It's Snark.
    I disagree. Only BM knows for sure.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Two things:

a) It doesn't matter if it is snarky or not. It's harmless and if taken seriously, the fault of the recipient and not the giver.

b) I couldn't have less faith in Scott to make a quality film ever again.
    You'll notice my sincere attempts to try and avoid actually contemplating the idea of a sequel to such a silly film.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    It doesn't matter if it is snarky or not. It's harmless and if taken seriously, the fault of the recipient and not the giver.
    Wow, seriously? You just institutionalized a certain kind of nastiness on your own forum. I'm disappointed to hear you say this for a variety of reasons.

First, "it's just a joke, don't take it so seriously" is the last refuge of the bully. I should know, because I was raised by one and I am one (or, at least, I've behaved as one many times in the past). And I can tell you from both sides of the equation that that line is puuuuuuure bullshit. It's a last ditch defense against actually taking any responsibility for your actions.

Second, Madman has made it clear on numerous occasions he doesn't enjoy being the butt of jokes and he doesn't enjoy being teased. Since everybody here knows him and knows this, maybe we could respect his feelings and lay the fuck off.

Or, Raiders, you can continue to condone this kind of shit and just ban Madman the next time he threatens to choke the shit out of somebody. Maybe that's easier?

@trans Boner's comment wasn't witty (I saw the same 'joke' less than a week ago from, iirc, DavidSeven) and it wasn't interesting. You can parse the meaning of the word snark and maybe throw a few smilies around, but it doesn't make your comments any less douchey.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    Wow, seriously? You just institutionalized a certain kind of nastiness on your own forum. I'm disappointed to hear you say this for a variety of reasons.

First, "it's just a joke, don't take it so seriously" is the last refuge of the bully. I should know, because I was raised by one and I am one (or, at least, I've behaved as one many times in the past). And I can tell you from both sides of the equation that that line is puuuuuuure bullshit. It's a last ditch defense against actually taking any responsibility for your actions.

Madman has made it clear on numerous occasions he doesn't enjoy being the butt of jokes and he doesn't enjoy being teased. Since everybody here knows him and knows this, maybe would could respect his feelings and lay the fuck off.

Or, Raiders, you can continue to condone this kind of shit and just ban Madman the next time he threatens to choke the shit out of somebody. Maybe that's easier?

@trans Boner's comment wasn't witty (I saw the same 'joke' less than a week ago from, iirc, DavidSeven) and it wasn't interesting. You can parse the meaning of the word snark and maybe throw a few smilies around, but it doesn't make your comments any less douchey.
    I will use this as evidence to make three points:

a) It is not MY FORUM, and I never banned him.
    b) I no longer want to be the admin, or really post here for that matter.
    c) At some point, people cannot walk on egg shells. It was a throwaway comment to highlight the radical difference in MadMan's sentiment from the norm (here anyway). There was no malice that I can read. MadMan, again, became very sensitive about it and in my opinion, overreacted. So be it.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

That escalated quickly.

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    At the risk of interrupting an insightful semantics debate, I'll offer my own thoughts on a potential Prometheus sequel by saying I believe there is still a premise full of promise and potential, and a director who can make things look amazing.

Lindeloff's modus operandi of giving us setup after setup without any real payoff could end up being a blessing in disguise in that the big answers are still...y'know...unanswered.

If we get a good writer on board, Prometheus 2 could be The Dark Knight to Scott's second run on the Alien franchise. For me, this is a more than apt analogy because I always found Batman Begins emotionally and imaginatively underwhelming, whereas The Dark Knight blew the damn doors off their hinges.

So yes, I'm cautiously optimistic. About both this and the upcoming Blade Runner sequel.

Now excuse me while I cure this rekindled disappointment with Prometheus with a dose of Guy Pearce as Peter Weyland promising to change the world.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

- - - - -
    I will use this as evidence to make three points:

a) It is not MY FORUM, and I never banned him.
    b) I no longer want to be the admin, or really post here for that matter.
    c) At some point, people cannot walk on egg shells. It was a throwaway comment to highlight the radical difference in MadMan's sentiment from the norm (here anyway). There was no malice that I can read. MadMan, again, became very sensitive about it and in my opinion, overreacted. So be it.
    Okaaaay.

I do have to say:

a) It's your forum in the sense that you're the admin and you're paying for it. The tone of any forum starts with the people running it. Madman was suspended for three days, and I assumed that you & the other mods were on the same page with that action.

b) I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. That's, well, a serious bummer.

c) It's irrelevant how you, me, or anyone else judge's Madman's sensitivity. What matters is the guy clearly and consistently has the same reaction to all this "good natured ribbing." I'm asking: Why would somebody continue to needle a guy when he's made it clear he doesn't enjoy that kind of interaction? That doesn't make anyone seem like they're clever or witty. It makes them seems like a dick.

There's a difference between walking on eggshells and respecting someone's clearly defined & obvious boundaries.

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Okay, I'm going to weigh in on this little argument.

Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    The tone of any forum starts with the people running it.
    I agree; and this is probably the most pleasant forum I've been on. The content of this thread notwithstanding, of course.

It's irrelevant how you, me, or anyone else judge's Madman's sensitivity.

[...]

There's a difference between walking on eggshells and respecting someone's clearly defined & obvious boundaries.
    The statement under contention appears to be that of Boner M implying that MadMan's opinion is inferior on account of it being a minority one.

Personally, I find the idea of criticising someone else's opinion on such grounds to be a bit silly, but nothing shockingly offensive. And MadMan expressed his disdain for it accordingly.

Was there an element of flame baiting involved on Boner M's part? Maybe. Though we'll never really know.

Should MadMan let such silliness slide? Most definitely. Though, equally, he is entitled to his retort.

What should the mods do? They should remind everyone to play nice and chill the fuck out. Which — in my opinion — Raiders did.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast