Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hellboy (Neil Marshall)

I like Marshall but fuck that shit. Make a Hellboy movie with the team that made them great.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I like Marshall but fuck that shit. Make a Hellboy movie with the team that made them great.
    Thing is, they weren't THAT great.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Thing is, they weren't THAT great.
    Speaking for myself, whenever one of them is on TV, I stay in that channel no matter how many times I've seen them.

I never see them on TV.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This is likely Mike Mignola's doing, to be honest. I didn't get the sense that he was ever all that thrilled with the GDT movies (which is probably understandable, given how radically different they are in tone to his comics):

So for the most part, when we sell a book as a movie I kind of go, “Well, now it’s theirs and I hope they don’t do too horrible of a job with it, but they paid me so I’m going to take my money and go home and work on my comic, and if the director wants my involvement, that’s great.” But you can’t lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day, they’re going to do what they’re going to do.

On the first Hellboy movie, there were a lot of things that del Toro wanted to do that I talked him out of, whereas on the second Hellboy film, there were a lot of things I tried to talk him out of and I couldn’t. He knew what he wanted to make and I just kind of had to suck it up and say, “Well, OK, it’s your movie. There’s nothing I can do about it.”
    For years, anytime Mignola's asked about the third movie, he always expressed skepticism that GDT would be able to get it made. I wonder how long this reboot has actually been in the works. I assume that a few months ago when GDT said that Hellboy 3 is "100%" not happening, it was because he sat down with Universal and Mignola and that's when they told him that they've been seeing other people.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It probably didn't hurt that The R-Ratings of Logan and Deadpool are the result of giving the fans a true adaptation that fits with the source material.

I wouldve enjoyed a trilogy closer, but I'll take more Hellboy any way I can get it.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I never see them on TV.
    They're on all the time in Argentina. Maybe they just did better over here comparatively. I remember a lot of outrage when the first one came out in theaters because there were no subtitled versions available.

I'm curious to know what Mignola disliked about the sequel. There was a lot of unexpected humor but there's humor in some of his comics too.

I'm gonna guess the whole romance between Hellboy and Liz, and generally making Hellboy a more lovable/romantic/optimistic character who is now a husband and dad.

The films and the comics are just very different in tone to me. The Hellboy movies are pretty recognizably Guillermo del Toro projects: gothic fantasy concepts, whimsical humor, and a really heavy dose of sentimentality. They're great that way, but they're definitely not the kind of dark, folklore-horror that the comics are.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Don't think I even saw the second one. And I can't really even recall a scene in the first.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

As expected. Andrew Cosby, who co-wrote the new script with Mignola and Christopher Golden:

“I can’t really talk about specifics with regard to the story, which they’re keeping a pretty tight lid on at the moment, but I can say that this is a darker, more gruesome version of Hellboy,” Cosby said. “Neil said from the very beginning that he wanted to walk a razor’s edge between horror and comic book movie, which was music to my ears, because that’s what I was shooting for in the script, and precisely what Mignola does so well with the comics.”
    Movie Theater Diary

GDT and Mignola always seemed pretty tight so this is weird to read about.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Milla Jovovich will be the villain. It is uncertain whether this means she can't do Resident Evil 21: The final ride.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/h...ting-concerns/

Ed Skrein departs the project because of controversy and complaints of yet more whitewashing.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Movie Theater Diary

Came to post that too. Wow.

Here's another.

Movie Theater Diary

I just started reading the Hellboy comic. So damn good. Finished up with the 3rd trade. So many good stories to choose from.

I'd so rather see this become a super successful franchise than all the Marvel and DC stuff.

Not for nothing, but how the hell did he get that jacked that quick? Or was he just hiding it in Stranger Things? Damn.

He definitely wasn't Clark Kenting it in Stranger Things. Dude had a decent beer gut. Probably suit help and also exercise regimen.

Looks great tho. I dig it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Me too. I didn't think they could get any closer on the face to the comic than Perlman (without looking goofy), but I think they did it.

Stranger Things was a year ago, guys. Hollywood trainers usually have about 3 months to get actors jacked, and it's been 4 since Harbour's casting was announced.

Chris Pratt went from Andy Dwyer to Star-Lord in the same amount of time.

EDIT: But also, lighting and make up can exaggerate the definition.
    Movie Theater Diary

I know, but...damn. Pratt got cut, but Harbour got huge. Kudos to him and his trainers.

Those are like Arnold Predator guns.

I'm guessing it's a body suit.

That's what Perlman did too. Looked great.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Really? I didn't know that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast