Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellboy (Neil Marshall)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Hellboy (Neil Marshall)

Quote Quoting del Toro
    "I can say publicly that now we are together in trying [to do Hellboy 3] ... We're going to make an effort to do it. I hope it happens."
    Quote Quoting Perlman
    "The [first] two movies were really set up to have this unbelievable resolve. Everything that was done in both movies was leading up to this destiny, written in stone, of what Hellboy has been summoned to Earth to do. To not do it, particularly in light of the scope that Guillermo is thinking of for the resolve, would be in my mind a little bit of a shame."
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/1...o-ron-perlman/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

All for another Hellboy. The second one was a mess but it was an awesome mess.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    All for another Hellboy. The second one was a mess but it was an awesome mess.
    I liked the second one more than the first. Maybe because it was messier...
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Mike Mignola
    "There are a couple articles out floating around out there right now that sort of make it sound like I don't want a third movie made or even implying that somehow I might in some way stopping a third one from being made--That's just stupid. I have no idea why these things are popping up now. I'm asked all the time if a third film is in the works and I always say there isn't--Because there isn't. Simple as that. Of course I would be thrilled to see a third one made. I know Ron would like to do it and I think if ANYONE could talk Universal into it it would be del Toro. After #2 someone at the studio assured me that they would NEVER make a third and that was the last contact I had with anyone at Universal. That was a long time ago and things change and I do hope things will change, but who knows. Certainly it all has nothing to do with me. The fate of a third film is entirely somewhere between del Toro and Universal."
    Of course it's a money thing with Universal. Who knows if it will ever be green lit.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Vote now!

Not that I was ever expecting this to actually happen, but:

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The studios really have no faith in this IP.

Why the fuck not?

Because this:

HELLBOY
    Production Budget: $66 million
    Domestic total: $59 million

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY
    Production Budget: $85 million
    Domestic total: $75 million
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

And they looked damn good for those budgets, I thought. Especially the second.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Because this:

HELLBOY
    Production Budget: $66 million
    Domestic total: $59 million

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY
    Production Budget: $85 million
    Domestic total: $75 million
    But $99 and $160 worldwide. Surely that has to count too.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    But $99 and $160 worldwide. Surely that has to count too.
    Not included: Advertising and distribution budgets which sometimes equal the production budget.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Not included: Advertising and distribution budgets which sometimes equal the production budget.
    Well yes, but doesn't include dvd, blu-ray, toys, etc, sales either. All I'm saying is that while they may not have been monster smashes, they should've at least been profitable, no?

Edit: And the second more so than the first, so slamming the door so hard on a third seems odd.

Yeah, but think about it, bankrolling a movie project is literally an investment. So it's not just whether or not it makes money, it's whether or not the money is worth all the time, resource, and reputation you put into it. Selling such an investment would be like saying, "Trust me, give me $50-80 million dollars, and in about 2-3 years, if we work really, really hard to push this thing, we might break even! Perhaps even make a little bit of profit!"
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah I understand that, but it doesn't seem like the disparity is that great that they can't work something out.

Yeah I understand that, but it doesn't seem like the disparity is that great that they can't work something out.
    Why bother with Hellyboy 3 when Universal will make billions on Jurassic World sequels.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Why bother with Hellyboy 3 when Universal will make billions on Jurassic World sequels.
    I wonder why they bother with a lot of things. I guess making money doesn't matter as much making tons of money or losing tons to try to find another 'verse to mine.

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Well yes, but doesn't include dvd, blu-ray, toys, etc, sales either. All I'm saying is that while they may not have been monster smashes, they should've at least been profitable, no?

Edit: And the second more so than the first, so slamming the door so hard on a third seems odd.
    The DVD/Blu-Ray is actually a huge reason why GDT has said it simply isn't feasible to make another one. The home market for purchasing physical media has dwindled to the point that they can't recoup a meaningful profit on these films from non-theatrical media. Like Number8 said, they don't make enough. It's the same reason why people were actually concerned about BvS making "only" $870 mil worldwide against a $250 mil budget. Because a lot of money is lost to distribution and fees to actually show the film.

The old rule of thumb is that a film needs to make double its budget before it starts to see profit, but it's actually a little worse than that (maybe two and a half).

I'm still in the "part 1 was better than part 2; the humour in part 2 was kinda lame" camp.

But this still sucks the big one. Love Del Toro, love Perlman, love the character.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'm still in the "part 1 was better than part 2; the humour in part 2 was kinda lame" camp.

But this still sucks the big one. Love Del Toro, love Perlman, love the character.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Too bad it can't be done on a premium cable channel or something. Hellboy 2 felt to me like a ten-episode season of an HBO show condensed into a feature.

I enjoy both flicks about equally - Hellboy 2 felt a bit more diffuse, but Hellboy had that annoying audience avatar character, but both had such Perlmany goodness that a Hellboy 3 would've been welcome.

Ummmmm helllllllllllo - R- Rated and directed by Neil Marshall????? Yes please.

Ehh. Would've rather had Perlboy back for the final smashathon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast