Page 277 of 280 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Perfect. Thank you. How did you do that search?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I knew about that omnibus series, so I just typed "Fantastic Four Omnibus" in Amazon and just looked at the description to see which issues are in which volume.

I think the Marvel.com database is usually pretty good.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh, here, try this Wiki next time: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_45

It doesn't list the omnibus I gave, though, so obviously it's not perfect.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh under publication notes. Nice. Ok thanks.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=28293

If you look up an issue on here, it will show all the collections in which it's been reprinted.

The unceremonious death of this thread is depressing. What ever happened to Sven?
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I bought a bunch of old "Dark Horse Presents" and a small run of Stray Bullets, if that helps.

Stray Bullets is good stuff. Especially Killers.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Thats the one I got! I picked one random issue out of a 25cent bin, then my LCS sale put all their indy titles under 10$ to 50cents and I bought the rest of the run (except for one missing issue).

- - - - -
    Twenty-five years ago, seven acclaimed artists ditched their Marvel overlords and started a comic-book rebellion. They called it Image, and it rewrote the industry playbook. This is how the founders revolutionized an industry and launched a new generation of stars and ‘The Walking Dead’ juggernaut.
    https://theringer.com/image-comics-2...fcd#.kmy88a42b

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Anyone give the Dark Tower comics a go? What'd you think?

Finished "The Long Road Home," "Treachery," "Fall of Gilead," and "Battle at Jericho Hill" over the past few weeks, and felt really strange that none of them really got me going. "Fall of Gilead" came close in a Revenge of the Sith Order 66 sorta way, but the narration deals too much in cliche and stating the obvious, and the dialogue felt too formal, or what a teenager might think regal people talk like. Jae Lee's artwork is absolutely gorgeous with its thick gradients and widescreen compositions.

Grant Morrison's Nameless. Imagine some sort of secret experimental gene-splice of Eternal Darkness, Event Horizon, and Jacob's Ladder. It's sorta like that, but really obtuse and chasing the same sort of mythic dream stream-of-conscious talismanic... uh, whatever it is that Morrison was chasing with Kid Eternity. Insanely graphic but arresting imagery. Sorta gathers its forces at the end with some philosophical pessimism and a unique take on God as a concept, but I prefer Morrison's intellectual ambitions chased down with more conventional (re: comprehensible) storytelling. Animal Man, We3. All-Star Superman.

I'm sad that it ended up being a miniseries. It seemed like it was going to expand on it more, and become less obtuse as it went on, but then it didn't.
    Movie Theater Diary

In case you missed it, these are the two biggest comic news of the year, in my book:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...imprint-977405

https://www.idwpublishing.com/shelly...dw-publishing/

Vertigo is extra dead.
    Movie Theater Diary

ComicsAlliance is shutting down today. Sad.
    Movie Theater Diary

Paper Girls is really fun.

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Paper Girls is really fun.
    I read the second trade a week or two ago. I'm on board, as I am with most things BKV.

Number8 actually recommended Ex Machina to me some time ago, so just popping in to say I finished the first TPB and will be going back to the library very soon for the next volume. Excellent. Already my favorite Vaughn so far.

I'm actually not at all a fan of Vaughn, and I've criticized him in this thread in the past (though I thought the first couple volumes of Ex Machina were all right). But the combination of killer art, 80's-camaraderie nostalgia, and wacky storytelling in Paper Girls is great. So far my only complaint is that the lead characters haven't been given especially distinct personalities.

lists and reviews

Chiang is the main reason to check out Paper Girls.
    Movie Theater Diary

I think Vaughan is a good plotter but a terrible writer of dialogue. He makes his characters all sound exactly the same.

I'm actually not at all a fan of Vaughn, and I've criticized him in this thread in the past (though I thought the first couple volumes of Ex Machina were all right). But the combination of killer art, 80's-camaraderie nostalgia, and wacky storytelling in Paper Girls is great. So far my only complaint is that the lead characters haven't been given especially distinct personalities.
    Yeah. It has a Amblin Pictures vibe.

Y the Last Man didn't really scratch my itches - it was more conceptually clever than engaging most times (I liked the melancholy of the final stretch). Think what's working in Ex Machina right now is how the politicking is really just one goddamn thing after the other, and every solution results in a fresh sort of fallout, and how that plays as more interesting than the (still-interesting) mystery with the sigil that's making people nuts (that's mercifully backgrounded; too much severe gore-horror, and I start to check out, like with Crossed and Nameless). One thing I appreciated was the subversion of the mad bomber in the first handful of issues. If I were to level a criticism right now, it'd probably be that the hero feels a little self-consciously idealized.

Going forward, I'll look at the dialogue.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    ComicsAlliance is shutting down today. Sad.
    I just realized this means no more "Best Comic Books Ever (this week)", which I check pretty regularly for what's coming out. That's a shame.

lists and reviews

The unceremonious death of this thread is depressing. What ever happened to Sven?
    Hullo. Thx for missing me. I'm just not online much these days. (coincidentally, I'm listening to "Visions of Johanna" right this second, which is the main page subtext on some of these forum links, which was put their by Raiders, who has also made himself scarce these years)

Still reading comix tho! Present favorite is Remender's Renaissance with Low, Deadly Class, Black Science, Deevolution, and Seven to Eternity, which have all been among the great comix works of recent days. James Robinson's comeback has been welcome, especially with his dynamite Dynamite mini Grand Passion, but Airboy was a small masterpiece too. Scioli's Super Powers backups in the surprisingly awesome Cave Carson Has a Magnetic Eye are my new favorite things on the planet.

Oh, and Ellis's The Wild Storm.