Page 274 of 280 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,850 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

...which one? There are several.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I liked it. It's fun and really well done, but unlike other recent Archie books that are praised for their stories, this one is just trying to be a quintessential Archie comic, so it's exactly what it needs to be, which is a lighthearted all-ages teen romantic comedy about the Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle and not much more.

It's also pretty obvious that Fiona Staples divides her time with a heavier lean on Saga. Her art here is less detailed.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I really like the art.

Wish the issues weren't $3.99 each, though.

I'll check out the first trade when its available.

Oh yeah, I also bought Prophet Vol. 1.

Have you read Afterlife with Archie? I was surprised how great it is even after repeatedly hearing it's great.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Have you read Afterlife with Archie? I was surprised how great it is even after repeatedly hearing it's great.
    Looking into it. Looks cool.
    Last edited by D_Davis; 11-05-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Anyone read "Here" yet?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Anyone read "Here" yet?
    Me, sevenarts, and (I think) dreamdead. Great comic. Interesting formal examination of the interaction of time with place. I prefer the original, short version for its experimental punch, but they're both worth reading.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

For me it works for the same reason as a movie like Serene Velocity (though it never mesmerized or energized me like that movie). By reorganizing the basic elements of time and space, it lets us examine them anew by pulling them away from our everyday intuition of them.

lists and reviews

Dave McKean drew Batman on my copy of Arkham Asylum today. I'm over the fucking moon right now. Such a rarely awesome day and such an amazing artist.
    Last edited by [ETM]; 11-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Finished a re-read of All Star Superman. So good. What are some other Superman books I should read?

read seven chapters of The Fall of Cthulhu. Really liking it.

Also read the first five chapters of I Am the Hero. Probably the best traditional manga art I've ever seen. Every page is a masterful example of format paper shading and detailed manga-realism. I've never been as impressed by art as I am with this manga.

Superman books - "It's a Bird!" and "Secret Identity"

Spent Christmas day reading comics (interspersed with advocaat). My conclusion: Scott Pilgrim really isn't very good.

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Spent Christmas day reading comics (interspersed with advocaat). My conclusion: Scott Pilgrim really isn't very good.

Agreed. The only appeal I can see is for fanatics of old school video gaming, a group I don't belong to.

The whole thing is a video game in joke. Fine and good for those into that sort of thing, but a lot of it is yawn worthy to me.

Agreed. The only appeal I can see is for fanatics of old school video gaming, a group I don't belong to.

The whole thing is a video game in joke. Fine and good for those into that sort of thing, but a lot of it is yawn worthy to me.
    I can see a lot of people liking it just because they can relate to it. It definitely captures a certain kind of everyday modern life, particularly in its central portrait of an early-20s guy stuck in adolescence, chronically avoiding responsibility, and struggling with romantic relationships.

But the actual execution feels pretty weak and sometimes downright obnoxious to me. Many of the characters are visually indistinguishable. The art goes from a bit clumsy in the first book to overly clean and cute in the fourth. Its blase, inconsistent attitude toward Scott's jackassery (e.g., his treatment of Knives) is irritating. The battles often feel incongruous (whereas the movie achieves a more consistently heightened tone that makes them feel natural). And Ramona, and Scott's relationship with her, is just so poorly developed. I have no sense of her character at all. And not in a "she's mysterious and unpredictable" way. She's just a blank.

I was surprised by how much I liked the movie. Now I'm surprised how little I like the comic.

lists and reviews

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    My girlfriend bought me Daredevil: The Man Without Fear and Batman: The Killing Joke for Christmas. Didnt even know she knew I liked comics that much.

Superman books - "It's a Bird!" and "Secret Identity"

If I wanted to read the mess after the Death of Superman where would i start? (like the stuff with Steel, Hank Henshaw, and when Hal Jordon goes on that massive killing spree before Superman shows up again)
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 12-26-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I got The Complete Eightball for Christmas. It's so well put together. They reprint the front and back covers around each issue, the first four issues are reprinted on that newsprint-type paper that Vertigo uses rather than the traditional glossy paper as they were during the initial runs. So much attention to detail. It's a lovely package.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

If I wanted to read the mess after the Death of Superman where would i start? (like the stuff with Steel, Hank Henshaw, and when Hal Jordon goes on that massive killing spree before Superman shows up again)
    I honestly don't know! I never really read much into that storyline.

Superman comics kinda sucked for a long while until the early 2000s.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    World Without a Superman and The Return of Superman.

Best books of 2015?

My list:

1. First Year Healthy (DeForge)
    2. Hawkeye (Fraction & Aja et al)
    3. Zero (Kot et al)
    4. MIND MGMT (Kindt)
    5. The Last Saturday (Ware)
    6. Dressing & Lose #7 (DeForge)
    7. Virgil (Orlando & Faith)
    8. Deadly Class (Remender, Craig, and Loughridge)
    9. Airboy (Robinson & Hinkle)
    10. Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses

HMs: Southern Bastards, Lazarus, Bitch Planet, The Humans

The Fade Out should probably be on there, but it's such a slow burn that I feel like I need to read the whole thing at once. I completely forget all details of the plot between issues.
    Last edited by Melville; 01-01-2016 at 09:35 PM.

lists and reviews

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    1. Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses (David Lapham)
    2. Time Runs Out/Secret Wars (Jonathan Hickman & various)
    3. Love and Rockets: New Stories #7 (Hernandez brothers)
    4. Dark Corridor (Rich Tommaso)
    5. Hip Hop Family Tree (Ed Piskor)
    6. Island (various)
    7. East of West (Jonathan Hickman & Nick Dragotta)
    8. Crickets #4-5 (Sammy Harkham)
    9. The Spire (Simon Spurrier & Jeff Stokeley)
    10. Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson & various)

11. Velvet (Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting)
    12. Nameless (Grant Morrison & Chris Burnham)
    13. Copra (Michel Fiffe)
    14. Lose #7 (Michael DeForge)
    15. Sex Criminals (Matt Fraction & Chip Zdarsky)
    16. Twilight Children (Gabriel Hernandez & Darwin Cooke)
    17. The Fade Out (Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips)
    18. Pope Hats #4 (Ethan Rilly)
    19. The Wicked + The Divine (Kieron Gillen & various)
    20. Head Lopper (Andrew MacLean)

Hey, sevenarts, have you read Youth in Decline's Frontier?
    Last edited by Melville; 01-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.

lists and reviews

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    I will now - saw Deforge and Davis had issues and that was enough for me to order some.

It and Copra are two books I'd like to read but find prohibitively expensive to buy overseas. I might try the electronic subscription for Frontier.

lists and reviews