Page 269 of 280 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

James Stokoe is a god.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Hine's Five Bloody Fingers arc of Crossed is a refreshing read. I wish that guy would hurry up with more Storm Dogs.

Strange Embrace certainly put Hine in my radar. Storm Dogs is worth checking out?

I've never read a war comic before.

Thought I'd try Ennis' Battlefields as a starting point.

Hine is actually one of my maybe ten favorite comics writers right now. (Maybe I'll make that list tonight...) Storm Dogs is terrific moody sci-fi, that had tons of world building promise and then abruptly halted after the first trade. Braithwaite has been w/Valiant, so that may explain it, but it was way cool and I'd love to see it continued.

I always recommend Hine's Spirit comics. Tiptop. Also, his Azrael/Arkham arcs from the RIP era are great Gotham books. That's if you want an easy in, otherwise Bulletproof Coffin is the way to go.

Also, Battlefields is great, but I'd venture beyond Ennis. His comics are often a response to war comics, so it's illuminating to go back and read the stuff from the 60s and 70s.

Today I got:

Wonton Soup
    Orc Stain
    Resident Alien vol 1 and 2
    Godzilla: Cataclysm
    Battlefields vol 2
    Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison

Clive Barker's Hellraiser is very good. Some gasp-worthy twists and turns adding to the Hellraiser mythos.

Strongly recommended to fans.

Just read Stokoe's new issue of Godzilla in Hell. It was what you expect.

So did you like it?

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Also, Battlefields is great, but I'd venture beyond Ennis. His comics are often a response to war comics, so it's illuminating to go back and read the stuff from the 60s and 70s.
    Remember Marvel's The 'Nam?

Any revisit that recently?

Loved the art.

You mean, the title? I don't think anyone wants to do that since it was essentially meant to be sort of real time and ran for as long as the Vietnam war itself. If there's a revisit maybe it can be in the form of applying the same concept to Iraq or something.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    You mean, the title? I don't think anyone wants to do that since it was essentially meant to be sort of real time and ran for as long as the Vietnam war itself. If there's a revisit maybe it can be in the form of applying the same concept to Iraq or something.
    I meant has anyone here read it recently?

Curious. I remember liking it, but I haven't read it since it was new.

Oh. Yes. Gets a bit weird when Marvel characters started showing up, but the first dozen or so issues are fairly compelling for its grounded characters. It's obviously a huge influence on Ennis.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I have a few original printing issues in my long boxes. Never read them because war comics never really appealed to me before.

Oh. Yes. Gets a bit weird when Marvel characters started showing up, but the first dozen or so issues are fairly compelling for its grounded characters. It's obviously a huge influence on Ennis.
    I remember issues 1-11 being the best. I think these were all made with the original creative team.

Read the first 3 issues of Uber and gave up. It's awful.

Sending the trades back to Amazon for a full refund!

I just read the final issues of Kot's Zero and Fraction's Hawkeye. Both great.

One groaner moment of overt self-reference aside, I was all in for the breakdown of reality and metaphysical rambling about violence and guilt in Zero's last few issues. But I have a strong predilection for stories where reality starts to come apart.

I'll have to go back and reread all of Hawkeye, but I'm pretty sure it's a new favorite. The finale was heartwarming without feeling trite, though I don't know if the bit with the brother worked as a followup to the previous issue.

Other good stuff I've read recently:

This One Summer - Beautiful artwork that captures moments of experience beautifully. One of the best stories about growing up I've read. Naturalistic but full of ecstatic moments of pure feeling or discovery.

BPRD - I read a bunch of the collections. Nice mix of world-shattering events and character building, and of pulpy sci-fi and eerie horror. Great monsters.

Grendel: Devil Child - Terrifically disturbing. The layout (both art and lettering) combine really well with the writing to get inside a broken mind.

Grendel: Devil Tales - Wagner's formal experiments are great. Both stories build very slowly, but the buildup is methodical and ultimately successful in getting to the chilling, dramatic climaxes.
    Last edited by Melville; 07-18-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

What are people's thoughts on Sandman Mystery Theatre? Worth reading?
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Wait, Zero is over? I picked up the latest issue but haven't read it yet. Didn't realize it was the final issue. Nuts.

I like that Hawkeye didn't bother with any curveballs or surprises despite the massive delayed anticipation. They finished what they started. Very clean, very expected, but the proper thing to do.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    What are people's thoughts on Sandman Mystery Theatre? Worth reading?
    Hey Melville! I've only read a few collections, but they're great. You'll love Wagner's scripts and Davis's illustrations, as you have been. I also recently read almost all of Grendel and was astonished at how beautifully the world and mythos are built.

So Sven was Godzilla in Hell any good?

Wait, Zero is over? I picked up the latest issue but haven't read it yet. Didn't realize it was the final issue. Nuts.
    Based on the trajectory of the story in the first 14 issues, I expected it to go on a lot longer. But once it took a left turn with the introduction of William S. Burroughs, I felt like it could end any time. The ending wraps everything up, but not according to any ordinary rules of narrative structure.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Hey Melville! I've only read a few collections, but they're great. You'll love Wagner's scripts and Davis's illustrations, as you have been.
    Cool. I've been enjoying Davis's work in BPRD.

I also recently read almost all of Grendel and was astonished at how beautifully the world and mythos are built.
    I picked up the first two omnibuses in Dark Horse's recent sale, but so far I've only read Devil Tales and Devil Child. I'm looking forward to the short stories in the first omnibus.
    Last edited by Melville; 07-18-2015 at 04:50 PM.

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    So Sven was Godzilla in Hell any good?
    Sorry I missed that original post. Yeah, it's good. I mean... imagine Stokoe drawing a Godzilla book set in Hell. Boom. There it is. It doesn't disappoint in that regard, but somehow I can't help but lament its obviousness. I liked his Half Century War a ton, I guess maybe because it wasn't just a straight up art book.

Yes, it's pretty obviously an indulgent art project. To be fair, you can't really do anything else when you make Godzilla the protagonist instead of the human characters. So if you're interested in this premise, you pretty much have to just accept that, I think.
    Movie Theater Diary