Page 225 of 280 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    Yeah, that story is by Junji Ito and it really is skin-crawlingly good. I really recommend Uzumaki and Gyo by him, both of them are chilling horror with a lot of really creepy images. Both also get a little dumb by the end but the journey is still very worthwhile. The collections of Gyo include that Amigara story as a bonus, too.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Bought From Hell and Delano's Hellblazer Vol. 1 with a gift card I received for Father's Day. I think my oldest thinks there's something wrong with me.

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    Kim Thompson of Fantagraphics has died. A huge loss for indie comics. Who knows what modern art comics would be like without him.
    Huge loss. His legacy will live on, though.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Anyone got any horror comic recommend's?
    Horobi, by Yoshihisa Tagami

Tagami is sorely underrated, and Horobi is fantastic. It's kind of a big, cosmic monster tale, probably inspired by Clark Ashton Smith or Lovecraft at some point. Tagami's art is unique, and the story is very cool.

That looks really cool, D. Thanks for the recc.!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Has anyone had a chance to read Lazarus yet? Been looking forward to this one for awhile...

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Has anyone had a chance to read Lazarus yet? Been looking forward to this one for awhile...
    Yeah, just picked up my books for the week and that was the first one I read. It's really good, I thought. Great sci-fi world-building right out the gate, interesting characters and mysteries, lots of heavy themes relating to current hot-button issues (wealth disparity, economic collapse, biological ethics, etc.) but handled with not too heavy a hand. And Michael Lark, of course, who's always great.

I'm finally hitting the last stretch of Hellblazer, now that the trade is out. Lots of chatter about the Annual, Suicide Bridge, but for my money, the last Bisley issue, about the werewolves, takes the cake as Milligan's best issue. Virtuosic blend of horror, humor, character, and poetry.

Just wanted to jump on and say how much I value your guys' knowledge and opinions. Thanks for keeping the conversation going, and for contributing such a level-headed, respectful dialogue about the writers/artists/series/characters you love. I went through this thread the other day and made a massive wish list on Amazon to keep track of the things I want to read. Sven, 8, meg, sevenarts, EWO, Acapelli, led, etc., I owe each of you rep for helping me find a ton of value in a new medium.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I owe each of you rep for helping me find a ton of value in a new medium.
    Thanks! The beginning of my own love affair was abetted by a lent copy of Morrison's Doom Patrol from number8. Nice to see that influence continue to spread.

Thanks, KF!

I know you loathed Man of Steel, but I hope that didn't turn you off the character completely. I have some great Superman recc's if you're interested.

I know you loathed Man of Steel, but I hope that didn't turn you off the character completely. I have some great Superman recc's if you're interested.
    I'm reading Morrisson's All-Star Superman atm. Have some mixed feelings about aspects of the art, but I love the treatment of the character.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I'm reading Morrisson's All-Star Superman atm. Have some mixed feelings about aspects of the art, but I love the treatment of the character.
    Yeah, y'know, that book was my first encounter w/Quitely and I thought it was kinda fugly. I still think all the airbrushed colors are an eyesore, but I have since come to admire his techniques and singular style.

On that note, whenever I see or hear "Quietly," I immediately disregard what's being said because it's coming from someone who is clearly not paying attention.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I still think all the airbrushed colors are an eyesore
    That's my main issue, and the random lines Quitely draws on faces.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    That's my main issue, and the random lines Quitely draws on faces.
    Makes everyone sallow and pouty.

Thanks, KF!

Hasn't turned me off at all. My loathing stemmed from my love of the character in the first place. I believe you recommended Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, which was fantastic. I'm open to any rec's you have.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Hasn't turned me off at all. My loathing stemmed from my love of the character in the first place. I believe you recommended Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, which was fantastic. I'm open to any rec's you have.

I think you'd love "It's a Bird..." by Steven T. Seagle.

My personal favorite would probably be "Superman: Secret Identity" by Kurt Busiek. I also strongly recommend you check out just about anything by Busiek that you can get your hands on, especially "Astro City".

Oh and I placed a little comic book order on Amazon myself last night...

The Ciomplete Ballad of Halo Jones (Moore)
    Who is Jake Ellis? Vol. 1 (Edmondson)
    Fury Max: My War Gone By (Ennis)
    Revival: You're Among Friends (Seeley)
    The Thanos Imperative (Abnett)

Look good?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Oh and I placed a little comic book order on Amazon myself last night...

The Ciomplete Ballad of Halo Jones (Moore)
    Who is Jake Ellis? Vol. 1 (Edmondson)
    Fury Max: My War Gone By (Ennis)
    Revival: You're Among Friends (Seeley)
    The Thanos Imperative (Abnett)

Look good?
    Revival is great. I read through the first five or so issues of Fury Max and didn't care for it. I'm over Ennis's shtick but everyone else loves it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Revival is great. I read through the first five or so issues of Fury Max and didn't care for it. I'm over Ennis's shtick but everyone else loves it.

When Ennis is good, he's flipping amazing (Hitman, Punisher MAX). But when he gets self-indulgent, he's awful.

I hope Fury Max is more of the former.

I love Revival and Halo Jones. Jake Ellis is pretty cool and has great art. The sequel hasn't been doing much for me but that original series is worth a read.

I think Fury Max is one of Ennis' very best works. And I say that as someone who's been very down on him at times. I'd recommend that even those who might not be feeling it at first, stick with it, the cumulative impact of that series is devastating.

Oh shiiiiiit. There's an omnibus of Kurt Busiek's late-'90s run on Iron Man coming out in September.

I've not read it, but my favorite Marvel character and one of my favorite writers must be a good combo, right?

So Brian Wood. 30+ issues of DMZ and I was unimpressed. Loved (and we're talkin' loved) Northlanders, so I'm wanting to give him another pass, but I just read Fight for Tomorrow. While it gains a little heart in its final issues, it's totally bland otherwise. An excuse for Cowan and Williams to study martial arts poses and ripped musculature.

I'm gonna check out the Massive soon, but my hopes that I'll like it are waning at this point.

Anything else of his that are a must for a skeptic?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Fight For Tomorrow is pretty mediocre. It was one of the first Wood books I read. I gave up on The Massive after the first ten or so issues. It was decent and the art was great but unless I'm really digging something nowdays I drop it. Demo and Local are the two books of his I've read that I'd consider great. I seem to be one of the only people who really likes his current miniseries Mara.

Edit: I remember really digging Supermarket but it's been so long I can't really remember much about it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Anything else of his that are a must for a skeptic?
    I recently checked out the first five issues of his miniseries Mara (sixth coming out later this month), and liked it a lot. Not a lot of new stuff story wise, as it borrows elements from stuff like The Hunger Games and Legend of Korra, but I found it to continuously entertaining, and the politics isn't too heavy handed. The art by Ming Doyle is a pretty good fit for the story.

I dunno if it'll sway you, and maybe someone else has read it and has thoughts. I'd recommend it, though.

Edit: Looks like EWO beat me to it on Mara. I guess that's two people that enjoy it.