Page 2 of 280 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Best Boy
    I just finished The Hood miniseries by BKV and it was great. it's weird that i had never heard of it until The Hood popped up recently as a major player in the Marvel U. anybody interested in reading more about the origin of the guy who shot Wolverine in the balls should give it a look.

Yeah, I read it when it first came out and liked it a lot. I really have no interest in seeing him as the new Kingpin, though.

Then again, I've stopped reading Avengers ages ago.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Brubaker's work on Gotham Central is pretty awesome as well. Definitely worth checking out.

i wanna read the hood, but i'm waiting for a TPB. marvel's premiere hardcover format sucks. huge fan of BKV. Y: the last man might be my favorite comic, ever. ex machina and runaways aren't too shabby either.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah, I read it when it first came out and liked it a lot. I really have no interest in seeing him as the new Kingpin, though.

Then again, I've stopped reading Avengers ages ago.
    New Avengers is pretty much the best monthly out now, in my opinion. And what Bendis is doing with The Hood right now definitely reinforces this. Bendis may be the best writer out there today, and if not, top three.

Huge thumbs up for Gary Frank on Action Comics.

Howard the Duck is hilarious.

After waiting 2 months, only 23 pages of Y?!? WTF BKV

What does everyone think of this Ra's Al Ghul thing in Batman?

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    Bendis may be the best writer out there today, and if not, top three.
    Ehhh... Not even close.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ehhh... Not even close.
    yeah, as much as i loved bendis's run on daredevil, and as much as i love powers, alot of his work for hire stuff leaves me cold.

Geoff Johns isn't too great either.

Like what ledfloyd just said about Bendis...he's had some good runs, but he's also had some pretty bad stuff.

I'd probably put Brubaker on my favorites list, though. Maybe not top 3, but at least top 5.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Best Boy
    i read a ton of comics and consistency wise i'll take Brubaker, BKV and Bendis over anybody working today.

I'd put Willingham in my top 3 for sure. Fables is wonderful, and consistently so.

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I'd put Willingham in my top 3 for sure. Fables is wonderful, and consistently so.
    agreed but right now he's writing one book, Brubaker is doing at least 4 a month, Bendis 5 or 6+ and BKV usually has 2 or 3.

i'd put Criminal, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Captain America all by Brubaker up there right besides Fables and he's also doing the big X-Men crossover every month.

1. Brubaker
    2. BKV
    3. Garth Ennis (yes, he's still great)
    4. Christos Gage
    5. Gail Simone

Morrison, Rucka, Lapham, Brian Wood, Willingham, Veicht... all of them I'd rate above Bendis.

And I'm not even a Bendis hater.
    Movie Theater Diary

Great list, number8, but I definitely wouldn't have Ennis on mine.

"Preacher" is the only thing I've read by him that I've been really impressed with. The more I think about it, the more I dislike "Fury".

Preacher, Hitman, and The Punisher are my three favorite series, well, ever... and his Hellblazer run was godly... So Ennis always has a spot in my top choice.
    Movie Theater Diary

Preacher, Hitman, and The Punisher are my three favorite series, well, ever... and his Hellblazer run was godly... So Ennis always has a spot in my top choice.

I haven't read any "Hitman" or "Hellblazer".

I guess I should get on that.

People that have been slacking lately: Paul Dini and Neil Gaiman. At least Gaiman is doing movies and novels now... Dini's only good project right now is Madam Mirage. His Detective started out great but is now incomprehensible and has too tie-ins with his shitty Countdown.
    Movie Theater Diary

1. BKV (maybe not the outright best, but certainly my personal favorite)
    2. Bru
    3. Alan Moore
    4. Bill Willingham
    5. Brian Wood

i need to check out greg rucka. jason aaron is a great up and comer. i like arvid nelson's work on rex mundi alot but have never read anything else by him. i'd probably put bendis in the top ten. kirkman, i love the walking dead, invincible is decent, but his marvel work is pretty atrocious. azzarello is really good.

Not sure if this is known or of interest, but I'd thought I'd post it here.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I read Arkham Asylum today. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't care much for the artwork or the story. I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

I also read the first three issues of Preacher. I like the style. The story is out there for sure, and there are some things that don't sit well with me, but I'm intrigued and definitely looking forward to reading more.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I read Arkham Asylum today. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't care much for the artwork or the story. I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

I also read the first three issues of Preacher. I like the style. The story is out there for sure, and there are some things that don't sit well with me, but I'm intrigued and definitely looking forward to reading more.

I liked Arkham, even though the Joker's dialogue was difficult to read.

Preacher is cool.

I just finished the second TPB of George Perez's Wonder Woman run. I love it. I love the stories and the artwork so far.
    My Mom - 10

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)

i think Arkham Asylum is a good book but yeah it's not even in my top ten or fifteen Batman stories.

Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    I just finished the second TPB of George Perez's Wonder Woman run. I love it. I love the stories and the artwork so far.
    "George Perez" and "awesome artwork" are synonymous terms.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Not sure if this is known or of interest, but I'd thought I'd post it here.
    This is cool. When I collected comics, I did a lot of my shopping at the local 7-11. They had a huge selection of titles.

I think the best comics writer working today is Chester Brown.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    "George Perez" and "awesome artwork" are synonymous terms.
    I'm a newbie, Daniel,
    My Mom - 10

Page 2 of 280 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast