Page 154 of 280 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

I'm a tad confused by the timeline of the stories in "Criminal".

Do they occur chronologically? Is "Lawless" after "Coward", "The Dead and the Dying" after "Lawless", and so on?

Or is it scattered?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

No.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ugh...what is with your one word answers?

Can you not actually give me an answer?

timeline doesn't really matter. there are characters who overlap and interconnect but for the most part it's more easter eggy than vital. the third arc kind of elucidates on characters in the first two. and the fifth is kind of a continuation of the second, to some degree. just read them all. it's all great stuff.

Yes, it is all great stuff.

I was just wondering about recurring characters and that, for example Leo showing up in "Lawless".

Sorry. You asked if it's chronological and I said no. I figured that's a clear and direct answer.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Sorry. You asked if it's chronological and I said no. I figured that's a clear and direct answer.

Well I kind of asked a few questions, so your I didn't know to which one your "no" was directed.

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    The various Criminal stories overlap and interlink but as others have said, the order you read them isn't too important.

Chronologically, Coward is set before Lawless, and The Sinners is a sequel to Lawless. The Dead & The Dying is set in the past with an earlier generation of characters. The connections in the other two stories are even more tangential. Bad Night must happen after Lawless. I don't remember anything in The Last of the Innocent that suggests it has to be set at any particular time in relation to the other arcs.

It's an amazing series.

I wasn't worried about what order to read them in.

I was just confused because...

[
    ]

But yeah, I can't argue with the reviewers who have said "best crime comic ever published".

It's actually made very clear in the text of Coward that

[
    ]

You mean...

[
    ]?

I didn't think that was "very clear".

More ambiguous.

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    I don't remember anything in The Last of the Innocent that suggests it has to be set at any particular time in relation to the other arcs.
    It's set in the 80's and has Sebastian Hyde in it, so it pretty obviously takes place before the others.
    Movie Theater Diary

Anyone else got Severed #3? So creepy.
    Movie Theater Diary

didn't like #1 all that much so i dropped it

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Anyone else got Severed #3? So creepy.
    Yeah I'm really digging this series so far. It's very slow-moving and the pacing is perfect to build this sense of dread and creepiness.

Yeah, "Severed" is in my "it's fustrating waiting a month to find out what's next" pile

I just read Cornell's Batman and Robin story and I'm actually pretty bowled over. Ingenious design and a terrific resolution. If only McDaniel didn't botch it every few pages.

mcdaniel probably only had a few weeks to draw it since it was a fill-in before the tomasi/gleason run which was running late

What the silly fuck. Good news for comic book stores, I guess.

In what looks like the first shots of a new tablet content war, Barnes & Noble has instructed its stores to stop selling and remove the physical copies of the 100 graphic novels DC Comics plans to sell exclusively through the new Amazon Kindle Fire tablet.
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...fire-deal.html
    Movie Theater Diary

It's not part of the "New 52" but anyone check out "Penguin: Pride and Punishment?" Seems like any ordinary Penguin origin story, but with art that I like. Curious where it goes though. I guess it does make the Penguin into a guy that will fuck up your entire life to prove a point instead of killing you.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Aw, too bad. I'm going to be in NYC right after the con.

Reading through "Planetary" again for the third time.

This is easily in my top 5 series' of all time.

Really interested in checking out the "Planetary: Batman" trade.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    has anyone read holy terror yet? i'm curious, while fully expecting it to be awful.
    I read it last night and I think it's far from awful. It's so archetypical that I'm not sure why there is a furor: who isn't against terrorists? It is, through and through, a Frank Miller work, which means that the script is clipped repetition and the art is a virtuosic coordination of brushstrokes and abstracted textures that blend weather, leather, and violence to hypnotic effect. It is not graceful, and the heroic attitude is too macho for my tastes, but it does possess an effectively distilled scenario which, in my mind, 1) deflects accusations of insensitivity and 2) strengthens the emotional core of the book's reason for being. It's not offensive, but is totally frenzied and quite beautiful.

I wrote this before I read it. After reading it, my opinion of it hasn't changed much.

http://www.justpressplay.net/article...y-terrorq.html

And here's a review that I more or less agreed with:

http://nerdnewsandreviews.com/2011/0...w-holy-terror/
    Movie Theater Diary

Interesting. Books-a-Million is joining Barnes & Nobles' DC boycott. What's gonna happen if this catches on with other retailers?

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...fire-deal.html
    Movie Theater Diary