Page 276 of 280 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278 ... LastLast
Results 6,876 to 6,900 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Bitch Planet is one of the best series around. It's phenomenal. It's also one of the slew of Image books that is really worth it to get monthly because of the back material that I don't think is included in the trades, like the noir/old Hollywood articles in Brubaker's titles or Rucka's "this month in science journals" updates in Lazarus. In BP's case, every issue includes an essay about feminism and social justice.

Monstress is impressive world-building, but more importantly very gorgeous. Anyone who likes fantasy anime like Full Metal Alchemist and its ilk should check it out.

Paper Girls is standard BKV. Breezy read with TV-style twists and cheesy dialogue.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    So the Eisner nominations came out this week and the New Series nominations included Monstress , Paper Girls, and Bitch Planet. I usually delay until trades come out, so have these series delivered so far in terms of interesting material?
    I didn't care for what I read of Paper Girls or Monstress, but I'll second number8's recommendation of Bitch Planet. It's very much in line with your interests. It's also a really fun, pulpy sci-fi provocation with great art.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I should probably check out Bandette at some point.

Bitch Planet is fantastic. If you like BKV, you'll love Paper Girls. If not, then not.

Also, met Bill Griffith and Noah Van Sciver a few weeks ago. Both seemed like really cool people, so glad to see them getting nominations.
    Last edited by ledfloyd; 04-23-2016 at 02:07 AM.

Alls I know is that every KSD I've read has been awful and the first two issues of BP didn't convince me otherwise. Obvious genre shoe-horning and terribly awkward dialogue. Stick with Di Campi's Grindhouse minis for better modern camp kitsch.

This is a fantastic example of how important a colorist is: http://harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/1...is-good-but-dc
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

He makes a valid point all things considered, but I still think he's being too kind with Frank's recent art. I mean, look at the last two covers on the article. On the first one Wonder Woman looks like a transvestite either way you colour it and on the second one Batgirl's anatomy is confusing and childish and her jump has no notion of movement or dynamism whatsoever.

By the way, I read Elektra: Assassin for the first time recently. That comic is insane. Back when Frank Miller knew how to be provocative without being a moron.

I like modern Frank. The Green Lantern insert in the second to last DKIII issue was amazing. Plus, 300 and Holy Terror are astonishing art books.

This Grant Morrison FCBD book seems incredibly cliche.

I play this game with a fb comic group where every week we try to guess the Florida lotto pick four to win comics offered by the admin. Thousands of entries every week. If no one wins, it rolls over to next week.

I just won 142 comic books.

Hahah awesome. What sort of stuff did you win?

Ill post the list when I get home.

Here's the list:

[
    ]

RIP Darwyn Cooke

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    RIP Darwyn Cooke
    Love New Frontier, but I'm mostly sad that the Parker books are now done at four.

I was really looking forward to more, too.
    Movie Theater Diary

Whaaaat? That's so shitty. Loved his style.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Anyone going to start reading Demonic?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm tempted to contribute my bi-annual current favorite writers list. So here it is!:

1 Matt Kindt
    2 Paul Jenkins
    3 Garth Ennis
    4 Simon Spurrier
    5 Alan Moore

All Brits but Kindt. New to this list are Alan Moore and Paul Jenkins. Moore, because I've always included him in the pantheon of "obviously he's great so there's no reason to include him on lists like this." But I've been so impressed lately with his current work, including his LOEGs, his Dodgem Logic, his online comics, etc etc, that I feel he has transcended envied "bona fide" territory back into the messier realm of the still-evolving. Jenkins, because when he lands, as he does in his recent Replica and Deathmatch series, his stories achieve lucid and often shocking emotional resonance. Best comparison is probably Peter David - exceptionally capable with characterization and dialogue, experts with formal structure. Ennis's new stuff is among his best (All Star Section Eight, oh man...). Spurrier is a genuine successor to Alan Moore's throne, a brilliant lexicologist and conceptualist. And Matt Kindt's present maelstrom of awesomeness with Valiant is a wonder to behold.

HMs: Milligan is winning back favor with The Discipline, Remender is firing on all cylinders (just wish he maybe was a little less cynical), Lapham's Stray Bullets is great but I miss the days when he was writing more.

I found this super cool indie comics shop in Pittsburgh last week. They mostly carry Fantagraphics/Drawn & Quarterly/small press stuff. I picked up a few issues of Ganges, which I've never been able to get my hands on, but seems right up my alley. He also recommended I grab Hicksville, which I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

The downside of this is the place is so cool I'm going to end up paying his 15% off cover prices instead of getting shit more cheaply on Amazon.

"Marvel Now" relaunching as "Marvel NOW!" this fall.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    "Marvel Now" relaunching as "Marvel NOW!" this fall.

[
    ]
    This and what was posted in the DC thread are precisely the kinda dumb stupid bullshit why I don't bother with a lot of American comics anymore these days. :\

Just read Nameless.

I'm utterly lost. No clue what happened in that book.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Any fans of Cullen Bunn around here?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Is there an easy way to find out what issue is inside what trade?

For example, if I wanted to read a trade that included Fantastic Four Issue #45, what trade would I buy?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

For something that old, you're not likely going to find a TPB for it the way modern comics are collected. Those early Marvel comics are only found in the giant collection omnibuses.

That issue is in here, I believe: https://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Fou...dp/0785185674/
    Movie Theater Diary