Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Comic Book Discussion Thread

I'm currently done with volume 2 of Fables, and it's pretty good. Nothing mind-blowing so far, but it's a real fun concept that I hopes doesn't wear out further in.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I think it's a better read on trades. I was thinking of not buying it monthly anymore, because it's too overwhelming and truncated.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think it's a better read on trades. I was thinking of not buying it monthly anymore, because it's too overwhelming and truncated.
    i've made the same decision for pretty much the same reasons.

hang in there wats, i think around book 4 is when the mindblowing starts happening.

Yeh, and I think Willingham himself knows this. The book hardly ever has any cliffhangers.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Best Boy
    The visioncomix website was having a sale so i just ordered the first two Punisher Max hardcovers for $40 shipped. I've been meaning to pick this series up in hardcover for a while now and this was a good reason too.

I think the only Fables trade I found disappointing was Storybook Love. I moved through the series quickly so I don't remember why I wasn't too enthralled by it.

A revisit of Marvel Zombies led to a greater appreciation of that title, and now I'm curious about Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness.

I've just started reading From Hell. I'm not crazy about the artwork so far, but I expect I will like the book anyway.
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    I've just started reading From Hell. I'm not crazy about the artwork so far, but I expect I will like the book anyway.
    I've always thought that the art in this book would look better much bigger. It has always reminded me of Mobeus' and Miyazaki's art, two artists whose work looks better in a larger format.

DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article

Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

I actually kind of doubt it.

DC has been murmuring about wanting a new set of heroes for a couple of years now.

Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I just picked up the Dark Tower comic. Looking forward to reading it.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I just picked up the Dark Tower comic. Looking forward to reading it.
    i enjoyed it. a nice visualization of the book. series two starts up in march. which i think is new material that wasn't in the books.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i enjoyed it. a nice visualization of the book. series two starts up in march. which i think is new material that wasn't in the books.
    Cool. I would much rather read new stuff, as Roland's past is my least favorite part of the entire saga. The art is really nice.

Cool. I would much rather read new stuff, as Roland's past is my least favorite part of the entire saga. The art is really nice.
    yeah, richard isanove's paints are awesome.

and i think the "new" stuff is supposed to fill in the blanks between wizard and glass and the beginning of the gunslinger. i'm not sure though. i know the next one is the road back to gilead directly after this series.

Started reading Alan Moore's Miracleman. Brillllllll.
    Movie Theater Diary

Shame on me for not knowing earlier about the second arc of Seaguy and Joe the Barbarian! Masterpieces of artwork and narrative, both.

Are you buying all of these comics you're reading, Sven?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Are you buying all of these comics you're reading, Sven?
    I have bought them all, yes. Some I regret (I don't know if I'd've bought 52), but for the most part, I've got a pretty respectable collection, comprised largely of Grant Morrison stuff, though I've also got quite a bit of other stuff. Enough to keep me reading for a while.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I have bought them all, yes. Some I regret (I don't know if I'd've bought 52), but for the most part, I've got a pretty respectable collection, comprised largely of Grant Morrison stuff, though I've also got quite a bit of other stuff. Enough to keep me reading for a while.
    Would your public library not carry any of the Morrison trades and whatnot? Or do you just feel you have to own them?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Would your public library not carry any of the Morrison trades and whatnot? Or do you just feel you have to own them?
    Well, I do re-read the comics I have quite a bit. I'll remember some neat instance and flip back to it for reference or something. Best example would be the four-issue arc at the end of Morrison's X-Men run, set in the future where Beast is like this badass emperor of the world because he's possessed by this abstract awareness named Sublime. I've gone back to it a handful of times, never with diminishing returns. Or the first several pages of Flex Mentallo.

But I am somewhat of a materialist. I feel like I better know who I am if I have adequately customized the space around me with my interests. Books and DVDs are essential in this defining process. I recognize that this is a shortcoming and it has been undergoing an amendment process.

However, the Seattle Library DOES have quite a number of available comic books in its collection. I have utilized this as well. It is how I read Pride of Baghdad (lame) as well as the first bits of Preacher (wow) and Ex Machina (surprising). I am resolved to patronize it more frequently, particularly since my vow was re-implemented after my birthday.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Uh, that sucks. That's a very pivotal issue.
    On the plus side, Batman Inc remains so badass. So badass. (I am, at this point, resolute to comment on the inevitable badassery of each Batman Inc issue.)

On another downer note, though, WTF are up with the last two pages of Shade? Seriously. Throw it in with Twin Peaks as far as utterly dissatisfying final single minutes go. And it was going so well.

'thout thinking about it, I started Promethea. Since I have all the issues now, there is nothing to keep me from reading it all. Stupid issue 49 of Hitman...

Got a weekend job at my preferred local comic shop today. Badass.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast