Page 280 of 280 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280
Results 6,976 to 6,988 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Read the first TPB of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and it was a fun, fleet time. Alan Moore kickin back with a soda pop instead of leaning forward with coffee.
    The second one is more of the same, Victorian blockbuster fun. Starting with The Black Dossier he goes crazy with the references and the idea of a Wold Newton continuity and it gets really weird. Good, but weird.

I think the series about Nemo's daughter recovers that feeling of having a fun, fleet time.

Why is Batman Day celebrated today, if the first appearance of Batman was in May 1939?

Producer
    The Complete Calvin and Hobbes: Finally finished this huge chunk of gem after about three months of reading a few pages of it before bed. I first came across some of Calvin & Hobbes small collection books from my USA host brother’s shelf exactly 10 years ago. Though incomplete, it instantly shot up to become my favorite comic strip then. And reading them all in full now, chronologically, only strengthens my love all the more. Kind of worrying how much I feel more with the side of parents and babysitter this time around though, and I'm not even 30 yet, lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Dunno where to put this so I'll put it here:

https://tv.avclub.com/it-s-fun-playi...ave-1836637109

^ A review of Amazon's "The Boys," about a corporate run world with corruptible superheroes.

It's an okay review (I think her mention of Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" is wildly off the mark). But as with most old Gawker sites, the best stuff is in the comments:

https://tv.avclub.com/1836730383

^ This is a terrific analysis of one aspect of Alan Moore's "Watchmen," and one of the best examples of good criticism at a small scale that I've seen in ages.

- - - - -
    Warren Ellis tells a little story about Kevin Smith: https://warrenellis.ltd/jot/my-kevin-smith-story/

Short read & worth it is you like either of them.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Warren Ellis tells a little story about Kevin Smith: https://warrenellis.ltd/jot/my-kevin-smith-story/

Short read & worth it is you like either of them.
    I love it.

Man, I've been reading Tom King's Rebirth Batman run from 2016 onwards... I got all excited over the first issue where Batman pulls a Superman and stops a plane falling over Gotham. But then it gets really, really, really bad. I'll let you know if it ever grows on me later on.

I think Kings Batman run has been fantastic. Longest run of any book I've ever bought.

I'm finishing the "Night of the Monster Men" crossover. I don't mind the blockbuster aspect of it but, coming off the heels of Batman comics by Morrison and even White Knight which I thought was excellent, it all feels too... slight and even naive. King likes resurrecting these old Batman classic tropes such as Strange's Monster Men (which date back to 1940) without taking into account that nerd readers are already aware of them, without adding some new element to them. Also, and this is a complain I have about a lot of modern storytelling in action comic-books, too many issues with too little of the plot advancing.

But my main gripe is the dialogue between the heroes. I get that a lot of writers pick up on an obvious bit of Bat-family psychology, which is that Batman is the surrogate father to a lot of troubled young orphans, and the unhealthy relationships that develop from that. But King, he really runs that shit to the ground. So that when, I dunno, in the middle of desperate action Spoiler asks Nightwing if he's ok he'll say "it's usually Batman's role to worry about me" or if Batman asks Batwoman to stay somewhere she'll say "I didn't ask for your permission" or some shit like that EVERY SINGLE TIME. It makes them look like assholes.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-25-2020 at 05:15 PM.

So I am guessing the chain I work for has a pretty good contract with Disney/Marvel. Not only do we get more Disney/Marvel/Star Wars merchandise every day, but something we've started getting lots of is TPBs and graphic novels.

I have bought all of these from my store. They are all brand new, and every one was just $4.

* denotes hardcover...

Star Wars comics

*Shattered Empire (Rucka / Checchetto / Unzueta)
    *Kanan (Weisman / Larraz / Camagni/ Broccardo)
    *A New Hope (Jones / Barreto)
    Vader Down (Aaron / Gillen / Deodato /Larroca)
    Darth Vader: The Sho-Torun War (Gillen /Larroca / Yu)
    *Star Wars Omnibus Vol.1 (Aaron / Cassaday)
    Legends: The Newspaper Strips Vol. 1 (various)
    Legends: Infinities (various)
    Legends: The Original Marvel Years Vol. 1 (various)
    Legends: The Empire Vol. 2 (various)
    Legends: The Rebellion Vol. 2 (various)
    Legends: The New Republic Vol. 2 (various)

Marvel comics

*X-Men: No More Humans (Carey / Larroca)
    Steve Rogers: Super Soldier (Brubaker / Eaglesham)
    *Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business (Waid / Robinson / Dell'Otto / Dell'Edera)
    Marvel Knights Spider-Man: Fight Night (Kindt / Rudy)
    *Thor: For Asgard (Rodi / Bianchi)
    *Spider-Man / Wolverine (Wells / Madureira)
    *Ultimate Captain America (Aaron / Garney)
    *Invaders Now! (Gage / Ross / Reis)
    The Muppets Omnibus (Langridge / Paroline / Mebberson)

The Muppets book alone has an MSRP of $65.

In case anyone missed it, all of Black Panther comics were/are free on ComiXology. By this I don't mean "a lot od comics", I mean ALL the comics, including his first appearance, and all the appearances in other series like the X-Men. Also free are the Shuri and Killmonger series. It wasn't advertized anywhere so people dug up links for various titles: https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...omixology_are/

I got all of it, and it turned out as 295 books, FYI.

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆