Page 97 of 280 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm re-reading (originally read in single issues) through 52 in trade (just finished volume 2) and it's such a better read this way. I love the creator comments at the end of each issue.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I'm re-reading (originally read in single issues) through 52 in trade (just finished volume 2) and it's such a better read this way. I love the creator comments at the end of each issue.
    I was just talking about how much more successful I speculate it would have been to read them week by week, although I'm sure that would've nerfed what I feel to be the series's best quality: bombast. The louder, tighter, and more aggressive it was, the better.

Reading through both RIP and Final Crisis again, to piece together Batman's narrative. Holy intricacy!

something possessed me to check out jason yesterday. i read i killed adolf hitler, werewolves of montpellier, and the left bank gang

i think the hitler book is my favorite, but they're all kind of brilliant. his deadpan abusrd humor paired with his existential queries speaks pretty directly to me. he almost reminds me of jim jarmusch. but with crazier, pulpier plots.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    something possessed me to check out jason yesterday. i read i killed adolf hitler, werewolves of montpellier, and the left bank gang

i think the hitler book is my favorite, but they're all kind of brilliant. his deadpan abusrd humor paired with his existential queries speaks pretty directly to me. he almost reminds me of jim jarmusch. but with crazier, pulpier plots.
    I plan on buying everything I can get of his very soon. So far I have Werewolves of Montpellier and The Last Musketeer. Both fantastic but Musketeer is my favorite.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Does the name Aaron Cain, or this drawing mean anything to anyone here?

I'm drawing a blank.

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I plan on buying everything I can get of his very soon. So far I have Werewolves of Montpellier and The Last Musketeer. Both fantastic but Musketeer is my favorite.
    i read what are you doing this for?, the last musketeer, and hey, wait... today.

i'd say of the bunch my favorites are what are you doing this for and i killed adolf hitler. hey wait is terribly depressing. the last musketeer is a ton of fun. it's kind of a shame they are so short and quick and easy to read. although my library/friends don't have anything else by him.

Here's a list I put together of all his stuff available in the US. Some are collections which contain a few stories in one volume:

Almost Silent (collects Meow Baby, Tell Me Something, You Can't Get There From Here, and The Living and the Dead.)
    I Killed Adolf Hitler
    Low Moon (collects "Emily Says Hello", "Low Moon", "&", "Proto Film Noir", and "You are Here")
    Pocket Full of Rain and Other Stories (Collects Pocket Full of Rain and 24 other Jason shorts)
    The Left Bank Gang
    What I Did. (collects Hey Wait, Sshhh!, and The Iron Wagon)
    Why Are You Doing This?
    The Last Musketeer
    Werewolves of Montpellier

The What I Did HC doesn't come out till october.
    TV Recently Finished:

yeah, apparently most of the stuff i haven't read is in those collections. i may have to pick them up sooner or later.

still mulling over/rereading the ones i have right now. so good.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Does the name Aaron Cain, or this drawing mean anything to anyone here?

I'm drawing a blank.
    http://www.aaroncain.com/
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    yeah, apparently most of the stuff i haven't read is in those collections. i may have to pick them up sooner or later.

still mulling over/rereading the ones i have right now. so good.
    Yeah, Jason is great. I keep telling everyone I know to read him. I love his artwork too. Those bird beaks are great.

Re-read Final Crisis and am now just about done with the second Volume of Fourth World. My life is being rocked with hardcore epic sauce. Gods, cosmic planes, atomic age masters of infinity, time and space...

It is certainly filling the hole in my soul that is so rarely filled by films these days: the need for grand, epic narrative, heroes, eternal dimensions, vistas and worlds and the fantastic. Scope. I need scope, and this stuff doesn't feel canned the way cinema has come to feel. Perhaps comic art is the medium best suited for scale. Maybe opera. I am interested in thinking more about this idea.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Need some advice. I want to buy those Alan Moore Swamp Thing collections, but don't know which to get.

I assume this is the first volume? How many are there in total?

Or should I just buy the paperbacks?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Need some advice. I want to buy those Alan Moore Swamp Thing collections, but don't know which to get.

I assume this is the first volume? How many are there in total?

Or should I just buy the paperbacks?
    Yep, that's the first one. There are 3 so far. It will probably be cheaper for you just to buy the HC's since they tend to include 2 paperbacks worth of stories and the HC's are the only way to get Alan Moore's first issue #20 which wasn't reprinted in the softcovers.
    TV Recently Finished:

Ythe HC's are the only way to get Alan Moore's first issue #20 which wasn't reprinted in the softcovers.
    I... didn't know that. I thought the first issue was "The Anatomy Lesson".

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I... didn't know that. I thought the first issue was "The Anatomy Lesson".
    Yeah, he uses the #20 issue to wrap up loose ends that were from the first 19 issues (the Len Wein and Marty Pasko stuff) so he can start his stories. It's still a great issue even if you hadn't read the first 19.
    TV Recently Finished:

So the Wolverine relaunch is awesome, 1 Month 2 Live is very promising, and Taskmaster #1 is my favorite of the week.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    So the Wolverine relaunch is awesome, 1 Month 2 Live is very promising, and Taskmaster #1 is my favorite of the week.
    Jason Aaron Wolverine has been awesome for the last two years it's about time you got with the program.
    TV Recently Finished:

So was Aaron's "Wolverine: Weapon X" title good?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    So was Aaron's "Wolverine: Weapon X" title good?
    Yes!
    TV Recently Finished:

Yes!

Cool, I'll have to check it out.

I've been holding off on buying Aaron's much-lauded "Ghost Rider" run because I figured there'd be an all-in-one collection at some point. Low and behold! October 10th!

- - - - -
    Led, is that avatar from Werewolves of Montpelier?

Also, has anyone here red Warren Ellis' "Red"? Kinda curious how it compares to his other stuff & whether it's worth buying.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm salivating at the previews for Batman & Robin #14.
    Seriously, oh my goodness...

Yeah, I quite enjoyed Taskmaster 1 too.

On a different note, I counted and ordered all the various comics that comprised the Blackest Night story line that I had picked up over the course of its run, starting with Blackest Night 0 and whichever GL comic served as the prologue, running all the way to the GL Corps that was the epilogue.

Counting the GLs, GL Corps, Blackest Nights, the three Tales of the Corps preview issues, Blackest Night Batman & Blackest Night Flash (I didn't bother with the half dozen other offshoots), the total comes to 37 issues.

Yeesh
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

i gave up on following morrison's batman monthly. it's much easier to follow in trades. still think it's the best batman story outside of year one and DKR. i can't wait until it's complete.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Led, is that avatar from Werewolves of Montpelier
    it's the cover of low moon.