Page 279 of 280 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280 LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 6988

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Arya, where can I start reading the transition from Cap to Hydra Cap?

Are those trades available yet?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It started here

Avengers: Standoff https://www.amazon.com/dp/1302901478..._OLJZzbZWS0VH9
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Oh shit. This is a great read!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Four issues into Tomie. Very good.

Anyone reading Five Ghosts?

Five Ghosts is awesome. Read the first 3 issues this morning. I love the art. It has a real '90s Vertigo vibe to it. It's kind of sloppy, and messy, but has a real charm to it. As far as the story goes, it's pure pulp. Totally reminds me of something that Manly Wade Wellman or A. Merritt would have created. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

Five Ghosts is good, but damn is it ever breezy. It's barely a snack in it's ability to have a lasting impact. I love the art, and I love the concept. I'm a total sucker for stories about stories, and this one has a good concept. However, there is almost nothing to it beyond its pulp surface. I wish it dug in a little more into its use of literary heroes, and in how fiction and mythology impacts the world in which it is created.

Maybe it dives a bit deeper in subsequent volumes. I'll definitely still check them out, if only for the great art.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Iliad Bookstore had From Hell for $10, and now I'm so damn happy to finally own it.

Anyone here read Batman: The War of Jokes and Riddles?

No but apparently Tom King is the new great writer.

Yeah. That's what I hear.

Anyone here read Batman: The War of Jokes and Riddles?
    I did. Quite enjoyed it and every issue he's done has been pretty interesting stuff. Not saying "Holy shit you guys have to read this groundbreaking shiit!!!1!", but every issue I expect to be the one that makes me want to quit buying, and every issue surprises. Would love to hear 8's thoughts on Batman #37.

Just started reading Doomsday Clock.

He is, but his Batman is by far his weakest work. It's not bad, but it doesn't seem to be something he has a lot to say on, unlike his other works. Omega Men and Vision are modern masterpieces. His Mister Miracle is every publication's comic of the year despite only a few issues in. I'm eager to start on that one.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Vision is something else. Bought the War of Jokes and Riddles last night.

The big thing I heard was that it brought pathos to Kite Man.

I hadn't realized that The Sheriff of Babylon was only a two volume run--need to finish that second volume. Tom King's script for the first volume was solid stuff, some of my favorite of the Forever Wars lit that's come out of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Happy! was fun. Slight, but fun. There's a splash page towards the end that worked far better than I would've thought, probably because the comic's nihilism is so black and over-the-top that I couldn't take its grit-noir reality seriously. It's a comic where one cartoon fantasy is invaded by another.

Started the War of Jokes and Riddles.

I am liking the art a lot more than the writing. Story seems a bit disjointed right now. Could be me, because I'm not so in tune with the DC universe, but I'm having a hard time keeping track of who the POV character is.

The Vision seems to be on a completely different level, IMO.

This is a very good twitter account to follow.

https://twitter.com/thisdayincomics
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This is a very good twitter account to follow.

https://twitter.com/thisdayincomics
    Man you were not kidding.

Speaking of Tom King, he just announced a new DC title that sounds incredible. I might be more skeptical of DC's ability to handle this respectfully if it wasn't King writing it.

“It’s called Sanctuary,” he continued. “We’re creating something where it’s sort of like a crisis center for superheroes. It’s gonna be DC-wide, all the superheroes, and it’s gonna be a place where these superheroes who are living violent lives every single day — Batman gets in a fight every single night, five times a night.”

“We’re creating a place superheroes can go that mimics the good work people are doing for veterans around the world,” King explained, “where they can have a space where they can actually admit that this violence has had consequences for them and has affected them mentally, so that your greatest heroes, who are inspiring our children, can say proudly: yes, I’ve had some mental difficulties, and yes, working with people has helped me through them. And we don’t hide behind that.”
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm pretty sure it was 8 who recommended The Secret History of Wonder Woman. That was a fucking fascinating read and I can recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in pop culture, the history of comics or the history of feminism. So many of the discussions that these gals and guys were having in the span between the 1920s and the 1970s are still talked about today. I chuckled when I read that Marston's stories were re-discovered by feminists in the 1970s, but when Ms. magazine reprinted classic Marston Wonder Woman stories from the 1940s, they struggled to find the ones that featured less overt S&M.

Also, I now have a perfect answer to girls who told me that the fact that I have a huge poster of Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman makes me look like a horny teenager.

Someone informed me that Ollie's (a Big Lots-type store) was had a bunch of DC graphic novels super cheap.

I picked up the first volume of the Starman omnibus (which I've wanted to read forever), two books containing the first 24 issues of Simone's Secret Six (also on my to-read list forever), a collection of BKV Batman stories, Azzarello and Bemejo's Luthor and the deluxe hardcover of Batman Inc. all for less than $25.

For some reason I didn't pick up Morrison's The Mystery Play for $3 and I passed on the first two volumes of his Seven Soldiers for $3 each mostly because I wasn't sure I'd be able to find volumes 3 and 4. I also saw the 2nd volume of Kirby's Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth omnibus in hardcover for $7.

So basically, if you have an Ollie's nearby, go check it out.

I’m about a quarter of the way into My Favorite Thing is Monsters, and after doubting the hype, I’m continually blown away by it. If this keeps up, it’s bound to be a once-in-a-decade comic.

Read the first TPB of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and it was a fun, fleet time. Alan Moore kickin back with a soda pop instead of leaning forward with coffee.