Page 1 of 280 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

The Comic Book Discussion Thread

I'm currently done with volume 2 of Fables, and it's pretty good. Nothing mind-blowing so far, but it's a real fun concept that I hopes doesn't wear out further in.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I think it's a better read on trades. I was thinking of not buying it monthly anymore, because it's too overwhelming and truncated.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think it's a better read on trades. I was thinking of not buying it monthly anymore, because it's too overwhelming and truncated.
    i've made the same decision for pretty much the same reasons.

hang in there wats, i think around book 4 is when the mindblowing starts happening.

Yeh, and I think Willingham himself knows this. The book hardly ever has any cliffhangers.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Best Boy
    The visioncomix website was having a sale so i just ordered the first two Punisher Max hardcovers for $40 shipped. I've been meaning to pick this series up in hardcover for a while now and this was a good reason too.

I think the only Fables trade I found disappointing was Storybook Love. I moved through the series quickly so I don't remember why I wasn't too enthralled by it.

A revisit of Marvel Zombies led to a greater appreciation of that title, and now I'm curious about Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness.

I was thinking about picking up James Sturm's America: God, Gold, and Golems blindly. Anyone agree with this choice?

I've just started reading From Hell. I'm not crazy about the artwork so far, but I expect I will like the book anyway.
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    I've just started reading From Hell. I'm not crazy about the artwork so far, but I expect I will like the book anyway.
    I've always thought that the art in this book would look better much bigger. It has always reminded me of Mobeus' and Miyazaki's art, two artists whose work looks better in a larger format.

DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article

Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

I actually kind of doubt it.

DC has been murmuring about wanting a new set of heroes for a couple of years now.

Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.

Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.
    But it's still Captain America. The hero's not really dead, the mask just changed...

He'll be back when the money dries up.

So, too, will Bruce Wayne.

First you kill them, rake in the dough, then you bring them back, rake in the dough. Add in a couple foil-embossed collector's covers to rake in even more dough!

I don't know...I've seen this kind of stuff happen way to often in comicdom to not be cynical about a money grab.

He'll be back when the money dries up.

So, too, will Bruce Wayne.

First you kill them, rake in the dough, then you bring them back, rake in the dough. Add in a couple foil-embossed collector's covers to rake in even more dough!

I don't know...I've seen this kind of stuff happen way to often in comicdom to not be cynical about a money grab.

No, no, I totally understand where you're coming from. I would be skeptical, too, if it weren't for things seeming to change in the superhero comic world.

I dunno...I am still a bit weary, but I'd say there's probably a 65/35 chance that he'll stay dead.

I'm at least guessing he will not be Batman anymore - I could see there being a story arc where he fakes his own death and gives one of the Robin's the cowl, acting as a mentor, sort of like the "Batman Beyond" TV series.

Superman and Wonder Woman both died and came back before. It's only fair to include Bats in the tradition.
    Movie Theater Diary

Superman and Wonder Woman both died and came back before. It's only fair to include Bats in the tradition.

Do you think Bruce Wayne will come back as Batman - let alone the Batman he used to be?

I think it's possible, but I'm being honst when I say I wouldn't be surprised if he died for good.

Seriously, it's a fitting ending to his saga.

The only change I would make is giving one of the Robin's the cowl.

I'd just let Batman and his whole legend die. I think that would make all of his previous work just that much powerful - because people will then know that he really was just a man.

Also, do you think, in death, his identity will be revealed?

The only perfect closing I can conceive of for the Batman saga is for Batman to just vanish. Not die, and nothing dramatic. Bruce Wayne and The Bats should both just move somewhere, not tell anyone, and stay a legend in the minds of the people. Now that would be awesome. The last page could just show a dark fog enveloping Batman, and as it dissipates, we see that he is gone. Not a trace. Not a word. Just a silent disappearing act into the eternal night.

The only perfect closing I can conceive of for the Batman saga is for Batman to just vanish. Not die, and nothing dramatic. Bruce Wayne and The Bats should both just move somewhere, not tell anyone, and stay a legend in the minds of the people. Now that would be awesome. The last page could just show a dark fog enveloping Batman, and as it dissipates, we see that he is gone. Not a trace. Not a word. Just a silent disappearing act into the eternal night.

I don't think Batman would vanish unless his work in Gotham was done.

And since Gotham is pretty much irreparably evil, I could only see his death stopping his crusade.

I don't think Batman would vanish unless his work in Gotham was done.

And since Gotham is pretty much irreparably evil, I could only see his death stopping his crusade.
    Deaths are boring, and tired. Also, kind of stupid. He's been fighting for 50 years, against any number of bad ass foes, what can kill him? Anything they think of will be forced and contrived - why didn't the villains think of this decades ago?

He needs to just vanish, and seep into the myths of the world.

Deaths are boring, and tired. Also, kind of stupid. He's been fighting for 50 years, against any number of bad ass foes, what can kill him? Anything they think of will be forced and contrived - why didn't the villains think of this decades ago?

He needs to just vanish, and seep into the myths of the world.

Well, he is getting old. And he doesn't have powers. Sooner or later, 25 year old body building steroid junkies will be able to kick the crap out of him.

And saying he is smart enough to outdo anyone is just a terrible deus ex machina.

I don't think deaths are boring and tired if done right. I mean, most of the great superhero comics I've read that are also cited as great by critics involve the deaths of heroes.

how does damian play into all this?

So, I picked up the first issue of "The Sword" today by the Luna Brothers and was quite impressed. Their website had a viewable copy of their last series, "Girls" and I was very intrigued. I'm thinking of running out and buying the first trade tomorrow. Anyone have any opinion on their work?

i've heard nothing but good things but have never checked them out.

i just caught up on ed brubaker's captain america run. fucking brilliant. up until the death it's really good solid A+ superhero stuff. the six issues since are just unbelievable. he somehow made a book better by killing off the titular character. with bucky poised to pick up the shield i only see this getting better. by the way, the brubaker omnibus is a beautiful book, and on amazon it's roughly the same price as buying the 5 trades. well worth the price. brubaker really deserved teh best writer eisner. between caps, daredevil and criminal i have more of his books on my pull list than anyone else. i need to check out iron fist.

Iron Fist is a total must, although from what I understand it's more Matt Fraction than Brubaker. Still, it's a freakin' brilliant book. Sometimes gritty, sometimes funny, but always coooool. It's Kill Bill: The Comic. I dig it a lot.
    Movie Theater Diary

It's Kill Bill: The Comic.
    ooh, nice. i've heard it's more fraction too but i'll take whatever little bit of brubaker i can get at this point (though his run on x-men has been underwhelming). and i've been meaning to check out fraction's work as it is.

Page 1 of 280 1231151101 ... LastLast