Thread: The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article

Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

I actually kind of doubt it.

DC has been murmuring about wanting a new set of heroes for a couple of years now.

Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.
    But it's still Captain America. The hero's not really dead, the mask just changed...

He'll be back when the money dries up.

So, too, will Bruce Wayne.

First you kill them, rake in the dough, then you bring them back, rake in the dough. Add in a couple foil-embossed collector's covers to rake in even more dough!

I don't know...I've seen this kind of stuff happen way to often in comicdom to not be cynical about a money grab.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    He'll be back when the money dries up.

So, too, will Bruce Wayne.

First you kill them, rake in the dough, then you bring them back, rake in the dough. Add in a couple foil-embossed collector's covers to rake in even more dough!

I don't know...I've seen this kind of stuff happen way to often in comicdom to not be cynical about a money grab.

No, no, I totally understand where you're coming from. I would be skeptical, too, if it weren't for things seeming to change in the superhero comic world.

I dunno...I am still a bit weary, but I'd say there's probably a 65/35 chance that he'll stay dead.

I'm at least guessing he will not be Batman anymore - I could see there being a story arc where he fakes his own death and gives one of the Robin's the cowl, acting as a mentor, sort of like the "Batman Beyond" TV series.

Superman and Wonder Woman both died and came back before. It's only fair to include Bats in the tradition.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Superman and Wonder Woman both died and came back before. It's only fair to include Bats in the tradition.

Do you think Bruce Wayne will come back as Batman - let alone the Batman he used to be?

I think it's possible, but I'm being honst when I say I wouldn't be surprised if he died for good.

Seriously, it's a fitting ending to his saga.

The only change I would make is giving one of the Robin's the cowl.

I'd just let Batman and his whole legend die. I think that would make all of his previous work just that much powerful - because people will then know that he really was just a man.

Also, do you think, in death, his identity will be revealed?

The only perfect closing I can conceive of for the Batman saga is for Batman to just vanish. Not die, and nothing dramatic. Bruce Wayne and The Bats should both just move somewhere, not tell anyone, and stay a legend in the minds of the people. Now that would be awesome. The last page could just show a dark fog enveloping Batman, and as it dissipates, we see that he is gone. Not a trace. Not a word. Just a silent disappearing act into the eternal night.