Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The Road

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    'Twas a joke :P
    Twas also. :P
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    wrong thread

Just Watched
    Nothing Until Black Widow

Currently Playing | Played
    Tom Claney's Breakpoint ★★★½

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Mandalorian (Favreau) ★★½
    Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read
    Howard Stern Comes Again (Stern)

Thoughts / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

So when does this go nationwide? It's still not playing here in Fayetteville NC or back in Iowa for all I know.

Good movie. Mortensen really convinces. The boy was great. It moved a lot faster than I thought it would, either great editing or just shorter than I was expecting. Didn't affect me to the degree the book did, though, even considering it's a movie adaptation.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Well this was disappointing. And boring.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    Well this was disappointing. And boring.
    Someone who can, please neg rep this.

i really didn't like this. is it awful? not by any means. but the voiceover and score and the added scenes with charlize's character all seem to sentimentalize things and make it less despairing than it should be. the first person narration really irks me. the ending still is pretty great.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i really didn't like this. is it awful? not by any means. but the voiceover and score and the added scenes with charlize's character all seem to sentimentalize things and make it less despairing than it should be. the first person narration really irks me. the ending still is pretty great.
    I swear that the Charlize scenes are straight from the book. Nothing added.

Little Women - *** 1/2
    Gretel & Hansel - **
    Color Out of Space - ***

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I swear that the Charlize scenes are straight from the book. Nothing added.
    They're not actually invented, but in the book they're not scenes, just the Man mentioning they happened in some of his running thoughts. Obviously in a movie, you have to present them as scenes, and that means expanding them.

I also think it was a good decision to make the wife's despair more gradual and understandable, as a woman out of her wits, when in the book she's pretty much just a hysterical character (Cormac McCarthy himself admits that he's not good at writing female characters).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

i only remember two or three scenes with the wife from the book. i definitely don't remember a childbirth scene. i do recall him remembering the flashes of light and the scene where she left. other than that i can't remember many others.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    This was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, and it's a bold effort by Hillcoat, but if it proved anything it's that the book was just too difficult of a transfer to screen. Without the father's inner dialogue, the story lacked much of the emotional punch, and the repetition became more noticeable and less effective. Great performances across the board by everyone involved, even those will very limited screen time. Great realization of an apocalyptic vision. It just didn't reach me on the same emotional level as the novel.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    This was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, and it's a bold effort by Hillcoat, but if it proved anything it's that the book was just too difficult of a transfer to screen. Without the father's inner dialogue, the story lacked much of the emotional punch, and the repetition became more noticeable and less effective. Great performances across the board by everyone involved, even those will very limited screen time. Great realization of an apocalyptic vision. It just didn't reach me on the same emotional level as the novel.
    Agreed completely with all of this, though I think I liked it a little less, probably because of Cave/Ellis's uneven score and the handling of the ending, which felt pat on the screen, esp. with the aforementioned music score. The entire experience was a little static, since I was mostly just waiting for each coming scene and seeing how it would stack up against my memory of the novel.

In short, I'm never reading again.

Good-bye, Match Cut
    Am I allowed to have this opinion without having read the novel?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Am I allowed to have this opinion without having read the novel?
    I say yes.

More or less the same as me, although I certainly did like it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Well, I haven't read the novel, but I liked this. It conveys the desperation of the characters very well, and although it moves at a very languid pace it inmediately picks up when it has to be suspenseful. The scene with the old man is a highlight of the more contemplative moments, but then again, I have a soft spot for Robert Duvall. Some things that felt offbeat for me are probably the result of loyalty to the book. Specifically:

[
    ]

I watched this a few days ago, and while I liked it immediately after it was over, I now feel like I can barely remember it. I haven't read the novel, but taken on its own as a film (as all films should) it seems to come up a little short. I feel like Romero has been covering this territory for a few decades now, but since his films involve zombies, they don't have the high-brow literary pretensions of this. There's nothing really wrong with it per se, but it might just be a case of too little, too late.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Uncut Gems - 6
    1917 - 7
    A Hidden Life - 10
    Little Women 2k19 - 7
    The Rise of Skywalker - 6
    Home Alone - 5
    Richard Jewell - 8
    Marriage Story - 8
    The Last Jedi - 9
    Knives Out - 6

Rise from the dead....

Rented this after seeing Viggo in Green Book. Loved the hell out of it! Perfect tone carried throughout - a great mood piece.
    Last Excellent Movie Seen For the Very First Time:
    Lady Bird (2017, Greta Gerwig)
    My Movie Page

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    A mood I never want to be in ever again.

Just Watched
    Nothing Until Black Widow

Currently Playing | Played
    Tom Claney's Breakpoint ★★★½

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Mandalorian (Favreau) ★★½
    Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read
    Howard Stern Comes Again (Stern)

Thoughts / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

Never reached the intensity of the book. Although, not much can. I think the book may be a top five of all time.

Little Women - *** 1/2
    Gretel & Hansel - **
    Color Out of Space - ***

twitter

The book had me crying from both sadness and desperation at several points.

The movie is an incredible adaptation, but like E said, nothing could ever fully mimic that book.

I was afraid to see the movie after having read the book. One scene from the book in particular.

Don't know what finally inspired me to watch it. I was a little relieved that the movie wasn't quite as bleak. A real downer to be sure, but man, the book fucked my shit right up.
    When I walk across the living room from my chimney to my window, it takes me 10 seconds, but for a bird it takes one second, and for oxygen zero seconds! -- Jean-Claude Van Damme

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I was afraid to see the movie after having read the book. One scene from the book in particular.

Don't know what finally inspired me to watch it. I was a little relieved that the movie wasn't quite as bleak. A real downer to be sure, but man, the book fucked my shit right up.
    Which scene?

Little Women - *** 1/2
    Gretel & Hansel - **
    Color Out of Space - ***

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Which scene?
    I’m going to hazard a guess that it may be the one that hit me the most, too (can’t remember if it’s in the movie, though...)

[
    ]

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910