Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Microsoft Thread (or for Duke, I am Apathetic towards Ballmer)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Thanks ETM. Abd Shaun, you're right about that. I was thinking of this more as a gift.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Don't even both until the Surface Pro comes out. That one will actually use a full version of Windows 8 instead of some weird RT thing.
    Microsoft Surface Pro Will Be Out in January—And Costs More Than a MacBook Air

Well Fuck that. What did I say in my first post?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Director
    Whoa. Forget that. I'll just upgrade to a 4th gen iPad for half the price.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    You mean the Dell XPS 12?
    That's not what duke was referring to.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That's not what duke was referring to.
    It's not? I think it was. Is there another product?

Oh wait, I misread. Nevermind.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ouch. in my first post, I said there are two things Microsoft must not fumble. It appears they fumbled both. High prices, and terrible battery life.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Ouch. in my first post, I said there are two things Microsoft must not fumble. It appears they fumbled both. High prices, and terrible battery life.
    Five hours average battery life for a windows8 laptop? Doesn't seem so bad to me...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Five hours average battery life for a windows8 laptop? Doesn't seem so bad to me...
    I want my laptop to last longer than my cellphone. That's terrible.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I want my laptop to last longer than my cellphone. That's terrible.
    I guess different strokes. I work on laptops everyday and have come to expect them to last about four hours before needing to be plugged in.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

They need to at least, at the very least, equal Macbook battery life levels since that what they are competing against. 7 hours minimum.

Fair point, especially considering my laptops are work tools, and not for casual use like the targeted demographic. Seven hours of battery life sure would be nice tho.

I think what bothers me most about it, is the battery levels are WORSE than Windows 7 laptops. Like, how can that be? They've been talking about how they improved the boot time and completely neglected the most important aspect of a laptop. Now, who's to say this isn't something that could be fixed with a software update. But at launch, I see no reason to go Win 8.

Windows 8 Phone error messages.

Director
    I had put Windows 8 on my laptop just to test it out and it's probably the worst OS to navigate I've ever experienced. It was a chore just to do simple tasks. I hate hate hate it.

As of this weekend it's been replaced with Xubuntu 12.10.

<3 Xubuntu

But yeh, Microsoft is in trouble.

Director
    He'll be missed.

$450 starting point on the Surface 2?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20492...-hands-on.html

Marginal improvements on the battery.

The original Surface Pro conked out under heavy load in just 2.5 hours or so, though lighter Web browsing and battery management could push it out a couple more. One Microsoft employee we talked to felt that the new SurfacePro 2 could pull five hours under heavy gaming. (With the new Power Cover, battery life will be extended to ten-plus hours.)

Thread needs to be renamed to

"I am Apathetic towards Nadella"

Hahaha

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HK05P20140925

It should come as no surprise, then, that the Clippers will be a Microsoft organization. The son of a Ford Motor Co manager, he's always been a company and product loyalist, banning his own family from using Apple's iPhones.

"Most of the Clippers are on Windows, some of the players and coaches are not," Ballmer said.

"And Doc kind of knows that’s a project. It's one of the first things he said to me: 'We are probably going to get rid of these iPads, aren’t we?' And I said, 'Yeah, we probably are.' But I promised we would do it during the off season."
    Movie Theater Diary

If the Clippers are going to truly become a Microsoft org, they must embrace the Microsoft culture, which means that the forwards, guards, and centers are going to have to start working to thwart each other.

- - - - -
    Windows 10, anyone?

It's out next month!

I got the reminder on my Windows 8.1 taskbar. Kinda slick how they put that in. My free upgrade is reserved it says. I'm going to hold off on upgrading to see how others fair. It says there are no conflicts with my HW, but I'm not sure I trust that assessment.

- - - - -
    Yeah I'd be a little nervous on the upgrade & would no doubt wait too.

But as a clean install... I'm eager to play around with it. I haven't seen anything about direct downloads, though. Like how I'd get this thing onto my machine without an optical drive, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast