View Poll Results: Prometheus (Ridley Scott)

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

28 47.46%
  • Nay

31 52.54%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Ridley Scott)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Are you talking about the snake attack scene that starts with the biologist trying to pet a hostile extra-terrestrial alien that looks like Satan's Death Cobra of Death?

Why doesn't the asshole just start poking at the goo inside meteors?

[]

The more I think about the movie, the less I like it..

Loved it.

There's something about this that seemed like Scott just stopped giving that much of a shit after the one hour mark. It's not just the script, but also the acting gets progressively more shrill and some of the formal beauty goes out the window (or at least a bit...I still think Scott has an eye for composition that is certainly above mid-tier as far as big budget filmmakers go).

That tacked on ending seemed very test screeny to me. I'm thinking they got back notes that said "needs a better ending" which is in fact true, but instead of rewriting/reshooting the final third of the movie, the studio just stuck an [SPOILER] alien doing some alien shit in there.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Are you talking about the snake attack scene that starts with the biologist trying to pet a hostile extra-terrestrial alien that looks like Satan's Death Cobra of Death?
    Yep he is. Far from refreshing, that was one of the straight-up dopiest scenes in the movie.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The abdominal surgery scene and snake attack in the catacombs scene were two of the most refreshing horror scenes I've seen in quite some time.

I agree with most about plot holes and failed logic, but I can definitely ignore it. This will be joining my collection for sure on Blu-ray.
    I know opinions are subjective and all that, but I honestly cannot comprehend giving that absolutely ridiculous snake scene a pass, let alone thinking it one of the best scare scenes of recent times.

The biologist TRIES TO PET AN ALIEN LIFEFORM when it had previously established him as a coward. And this is after the movie has them leave the too jar place because they weren't keen on it, just to have them get conveniently lost (despite being in contact with the ship the whole time, which had their location AND A SCAN OF THE ENTIRE AREA) and then come back TO THE PLACE THEY WANTED TO AVOID IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Oh it's dopey allright, but you do get a pretty sick Anaconda like megadeath outa that scene.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Also, maybe I missed it, but what the hell was Guy Pearce's grandpa supposed to be doing the whole time on the ship before he randomly shows up? Was he in hypersleep? If so, no one noticed?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Also, maybe I missed it, but what the hell was Guy Pearce's grandpa supposed to be doing the whole time on the ship before he randomly shows up? Was he in hypersleep? If so, no one noticed?
    Well, Vickers knew and so did David. There was a scene halfway where they're all hush hush about someone. But it's likely the others didn't know. Why? Well, that's "intrigue" for ya.

edit: And may I just add that calling Pearce's weyland "Grandpa" is an insult to all the actual grandpa's in the world. Pearce was a monstrosity.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)

Why doesn't the asshole just start poking at the goo inside meteors?
    Yes that snake attack scene.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I know opinions are subjective and all that, but I honestly cannot comprehend giving that absolutely ridiculous snake scene a pass, let alone thinking it one of the best scare scenes of recent times.

The biologist TRIES TO PET AN ALIEN LIFEFORM when it had previously established him as a coward. And this is after the movie has them leave the too jar place because they weren't keen on it, just to have them get conveniently lost (despite being in contact with the ship the whole time, which had their location AND A SCAN OF THE ENTIRE AREA) and then come back TO THE PLACE THEY WANTED TO AVOID IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    You've mistaken my post. I said it was a great horror scene. I didn't say the logic and continuity was perfect. That was the first question mark for me when I was watching. I thought, "OK that was weird, but I'm still in". Where it completely fell apart for me was when Weyland was woken up and everyone seemed to ignored Naomi falling to her knees with staples across her stomach. At that very moment, I knew the film had failed. I gave the movie 3 stars, there was a lot that worked, but unfortunately there was a lot that didn't.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Extended Cut confirmed. 20 additional minutes. I guess there is a longer cut of the fight between Dr. Shaw and the Engineer, but Scott is unsure if that will be in the cut or just a deleted scene. Scott also said the extra minutes will address a lot of the concerns people had with the movie.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    And may I just add that calling Pearce's weyland "Grandpa" is an insult to all the actual grandpa's in the world. Pearce was a monstrosity.
    Pearce is a great actor, but I kept thinking he was the Grandpa from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Extended Cut confirmed. 20 additional minutes. I guess there is a longer cut of the fight between Dr. Shaw and the Engineer, but Scott is unsure if that will be in the cut or just a deleted scene. Scott also said the extra minutes will address a lot of the concerns people had with the movie.

Why can't they release a 140 min cut theatrically then? This is an era in which the new Batman is said to clock in at 165 minutes. :frustrated:

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Ask Fox. They didn't even want the abdominal surgery scene in the movie, which could possibly be my favorite horror scene ever. If they cut that out, the movie would have got a PG-13 rating.

Ask Fox. They didn't even want the abdominal surgery scene in the movie, which could possibly be my favorite horror scene ever. If they cut that out, the movie would have got a PG-13 rating.
    Fox is retarded. That's the best scene in the movie. People in my audience were audibly freaking out.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Fox is retarded. That's the best scene in the movie. People in my audience were audibly freaking out.
    When the scene finally ended, I realized had squeezed my popcorn bag crushing the popcorn on the top and my legs were twisted in front of me. That scene was done so well. I tried to imagine myself using that machine if I were in that situation.... not sure I would make it in time.

Agreed. Fantastic scene there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, they've been burned before on this franchise, but they also meddled with alien 3 and they greenlit the astonishing alien vs. Predator franchise and opted for one of the greatest of all living directors to be at the helm. Ridley Scott must have been fucking pissed.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Well, they've been burned before on this franchise, but they also meddled with alien 3 and they greenlit the astonishing alien vs. Predator franchise and opted for one of the greatest of all living directors to be at the helm. Ridley Scott must have been fucking pissed.
    What exactly were they burned on?

Oh and I'm not sure if this was posted in the original thread or not, but Scott wants to do a sequel if this was successful.

"If we're lucky, there'll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions." Asked if a sequel would be a direct prequel to Alien, Lindelof said "if we’re fortunate enough to do a sequel... it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien.

When the scene finally ended, I realized had squeezed my popcorn bag crushing the popcorn on the top and my legs were twisted in front of me. That scene was done so well. I tried to imagine myself using that machine if I were in that situation.... not sure I would make it in time.
    I wish it had that effect on me. I knew there was a scene that, according to Scott, rivalled the chestburster sequence from 1979. And I was also reasonably certain that I hadn't seen it yet. So my mind was primed for when that showstopper would come. And when it happened, it felt telegraphed, and the relative cleanness and ease with which the surgery was carried out, made me smile just a little bit.

I kept thinking "what a fucking awesome bit of equipment" rather than "oh my gosh poor lass".

That said, it is one of Prometheus more visceral scenes but nowhere near as messy, dramatic as what Happened to Hurt. But that's my fault according to The Rotten Tomatoes forum.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

What exactly were they burned on?
    The debacles of alien 3 and resurrection, the critical pounding the A vs. P movied got, but perhaps they made enough money.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I wish it had that effect on me. I knew there was a scene that, according to Scott, rivalled the chestburster sequence from 1979. And I was also reasonably certain that I hadn't seen it yet. So my mind was primed for when that showstopper would come. And when it happened, it felt telegraphed, and the relative cleanness and ease with which the surgery was carried out, made me smile just a little bit.

I kept thinking "what a fucking awesome bit of equipment" rather than "oh my gosh poor lass".

That said, it is one of Prometheus more visceral scenes but nowhere near as messy, dramatic as what Happened to Hurt. But that's my fault according to The Rotten Tomatoes forum.
    And this is exactly why I stop reading/watching interviews/videos before I go to a movie that I am already going to see.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Been reading what this guy is saying. It's a long dissertation so I haven't finished yet, but it's an engaging read. There are points that will be already obvious to some, but the coherence with which it is written is illuminating. I never even spotted this mural in the movie:

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]