View Poll Results: Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 26.09%
  • Nay

17 73.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders)

Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders)

Not awful, but 100% humorless and familiar. Chaz Theron and Chris Hemsworth were both enjoyable and it's actually put together with more than a base level of competence; which made me remember something Theo Panayides wrote once to the effect of "A lot of the editors and DPs and directors who work on bad films are still lovers of film."

But what the duck, Hollywood? Hire real dwarfs!

[
    ]

That was one of many great surprises for me. It's a bit so-so because it is obvious that this is the director's first dance, but what this film gets so right is atmosphere, visuals, and riding the dark fairy-tale-horse all the way to the end. K. Stew is oddly enough a great Snow White- didn't care for Charlize, but I liked Hemsworth probably more than anything else he's done prior. Had this been made by a more seasoned director with this same cast and budget, it probably could have been a wonderful epic, but as is, its just good.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Probably seeing this tonight. For some reason my dad called and asked if I wanted to go. Didn't peg this as his kind of movie, but at least it isn't Battleship.

I had no intention of seeing this, but the trailer was delicious, so I'm taking my girlfriend and a friend to see it tomorrow night.

The only way I would see this is for the dwarves.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

The script is nonsense. It shamelessly takes key events from Snow White and strips out everything that makes any of it make even a lick of sense, and replaces it with a bunch of random, insignificant scenes. KStew, Charlize, and even Hemsworth give the worst performances I've seen from them, but I can't really blame them; there's no way to come out of a movie like this unscathed.

Ets, I have to give you credit for not injecting a single pop culture reference into your paragraph.

Holy hell this was stupid. The only thing this had going for it was the gothic atmosphere and the settings, but that was squandered by forcing the Evil level up to a billion (that's Evil with a capital E). The story was poorly conceived, inconsistent, and all around pathetic. The performances weren't much better, with Theron taking the cake (All the Heston with zero the fun!!!). KStew has one face: constipated. She is atrocious. The movie feels an hour longer than it actually was thanks to terrible pacing and a dull, flimsy connection between Snow White and Mother Nature. Seriously, this is a train wreck.

I think I would have been better off seeing Battleship.

Since when do we call her KStew now?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Some visually striking and inspired moments, even if one borrows shamelessly from Miyazaki. The hallucinations in the forest were pretty good. Funny how their attempt to return the story to its darker roots only comes off smelling of desperation.

Acting all around was pretty bad. Theron was especially bad. Having not seen any of the Twilight movies, this is probably the first Kristen Stewart film I've seen since Panic Room. I dunno. She was alright I guess. I did have to stifle a laugh when one of the dwarfs declared her "the One!" I couldn't help but feel that the producers may have put the love triangle that goes nowhere into the movie simply because they're used to seeing Stewart threatened at all times of being in a man sandwich.

[
    ]

Damn. With exception of The Avengers, this summer movie season has been pretty terrible so far. Here's what I've seen:

The Avengers: ****
    Dark Shadows: **
    Battleship: *1/2
    Men in Black 3: **1/2
    Snow White & the Huntsman: **
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yeah, that's some seriously annoying London tabloid bullshit. Anyway I liked "KStew" in Adventureland fwiw. Her weird awkward fidgety thing in that worked for me.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Since she sucks and deserves a shitty nickname.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    This was so awful. Theron's Queen has to be one of the most horribly inspired and performed characters in a long, long time.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **Ā½
    The Counselor (2013) *Ā½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***Ā½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

I was on the fence about seeing this one. Looks like I can safely miss it.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I thought it looked like a really shitty movie from the get go. Too bad considering I like Theron as an actress and the movie's banners/posters were really cool. Maybe that's another sign that a movie might suck: the advertising campaign is operating on full speed ahead.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I thought it was okay. There are a lot of elements that they could have gone cliche on but didn't. There are some great visuals and use of special effects. Someone mentioned the dwarves, but I kind of loved how successfully they dwarfized Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, Toby Jones (half), Eddie Marsan, Nick Frost and Bob Hoskins. They collectively probably had the best acting. Theron is turned up to 11 but probably could have benefitted from fewer lines because she glowers well. Yes on the shameless cribbing of Princess Mononoke. What's up the the shoehorning of Judeo-Christian elements into a Grimm tale? I don't recall that ever being a consideration. Stewart looks pained all the time. I liked Hemsworth.

[
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Why do I want this to fail so bad? Oh right, Kristen Stewart.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    [
    ]
    I guess I'm not getting what was the implication. That the man in the mirror was actually just a representation of her insecurities?
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    I guess I'm not getting what was the implication. That the man in the mirror was actually just a representation of her insecurities?
    [
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I thought this was really good. I was dreading a Hollywood action movie and this had a lot of quiet understated moments and some really nice forest scenes.

And if you guys were actually paying attention pretty much every "story" complaint in this thread was quite easily explained in the film. I mean c'mon this isn't Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy where you had to pay that close attention.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I thought this was really good. I was dreading a Hollywood action movie and this had a lot of quiet understated moments and some really nice forest scenes.

And if you guys were actually paying attention pretty much every "story" complaint in this thread was quite easily explained in the film. I mean c'mon this isn't Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy where you had to pay that close attention.
    There isn't a story. There are a couple plot threads pulled from the Snow White story thrown in to remind us that it's a Snow White movie, but otherwise they just hang there. The more you pay attention, the more obvious it is just how badly written this, ahem, "story" is.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    There isn't a story. There are a couple plot threads pulled from the Snow White story thrown in to remind us that it's a Snow White movie, but otherwise they just hang there. The more you pay attention, the more obvious it is just how badly written this, ahem, "story" is.
    If you didn't think there "was a story" that's on you but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people complaning about "inconsistencies" that were explained in the film if you were paying attention.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    If you didn't think there "was a story" that's on you but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people complaning about "inconsistencies" that were explained in the film if you were paying attention.
    Use moments from the film to explain the queen turning into a flock of crows and locating Snow White at that point in the narrative, and not using it right from the jump. Explain the queen not just walking up to the tower and taking Snow White's heart as soon as the mirror reveals that it will give her eternal life. Or the threat of the queen getting close to death, with her power weakening, only to restore herself for the final battle by sucking face with girls, as though she couldn't have been doing that all along. These are all stupid contrivances that were given either flimsy explanations, or no explanation at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast