View Poll Results: Yay or Nay

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

19 63.33%
  • Nay

11 36.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men in Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld)

Men in Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld)

MEN IN BLACK 3

Directed by: Barry Sonnenfeld

IMDb page

Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

So yeah, I decided to spontaneously see this last night due to friends who had nothing else better to do.

I want to talk more about the first Men in Black film. I haven't seen it at least a decade. I remember seeing MiB in theaters over and over when I was a wee lad and I absolutely loved it. This was in a time where Will Smith owned the summer. No one was tired of him yet, because he was still fresh off his success of being the Fresh Prince. Men in Black was an audience and critical success. It's one of those universally accepted movies because it was exciting and brought a great concept to the table. It was basically The X-Files, but shinier and more family-friendly. Now it's been a while since I've seen the film, and I remember small details (a talking dog, Rip Torn, noisy cricket), but most of it is a blur. I can't really explain WHY I like it now.

So I'm here watching the new film and wondering if this film is going to give that warm nostalgic feeling from the first film or that bad icky feeling of the second film. Well.... neither actually. The first 20 or so minutes of MiB3 is awful. Reestablishing the universe, setting up the villain, and a lot of jokes that miss by a mile. Then the film got the plot moving and went to the 60's. If I have only one sole reason to recommend this movie, it's Josh Brolin. His performance of Tommy Lee Jones is uncanny. It's not just an impression. Brolin actually channels Jones's nuances where it's so eerie that you are not looking at Tommy Lee Jones. I was surprised when I read Scott Tobias's review that Brolin should get serious Oscar consideration (I don't necessarily agree or care). The film runs its course into expected area for this franchise. Some cameos pop up. Will Smith does he usual "aw hell nahs" for the camera, and there's some weird Rick Baker designed aliens. The film's tone felt a lot in aligned with the first film, and I'm not sure if that's a compliment. I didn't laugh that much at this film nor did I really get excited during the climatic set pieces. It makes me wonder that everyone loved the first film so much because it was so original and was released in a time where every summer wasn't stuffed with sequels, comic book movies, and reboots. Now we're used to Hollywood taking franchises and straining any juices left. If MiB3 was released in the summer of 1997 and sold as the first one, it probably would have gotten the same reaction.

What I'm saying is: has anyone seen the first film recently (whether it be the first time viewing it or not)? Does it hold up? After seeing MiB3, I'm not sure if I want to revisit it because I remember it as being THE film during my preteen years that I watched over and over.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Tempted to see this just because I'm curious about Jemaine Clement's performance.

Yeah, this was much better than I expected. Brolin was great, and Smith killed it with a few lines that, really, only he could have pulled off. Really nice surprise.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Better than the second film, but that's not saying much. MIB2 used the exact same plot as the first film. It was the same problem as Ghostbusters 2. So at least this was a "new-ish" plot for the franchise, but traveling back in time to stop this or do that is nothing new.

Unfortunately as with MIB2, this film continues to display Sonnenfeld's bizarre comedic timing. As in he has none. We sense that a scene is supposed to have that drawn out uncomfortable feeling for laughs, but instead many scenes are just drawn out and humorless. J and K still talk like they're new partners working out issues when they've been together 15 years.

Individual moments and performances are good. Josh Brolin is great as is Michael Stuhlbarg. The visual effects are pretty good.

I don't consider it a spoiler.. [
    ]

And Jemaine Clement was kind of wasted in the roll. You don't see the actor's eyes and he just kind of snarls most of the time. Nothing will top Vincent Dinofrio from the first film. He really sold the idea of a massive bug uncomfortably trying to wear a suit of human flesh.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Tempted to see this just because I'm curious about Jemaine Clement's performance.
    Yeah, I keep on thinking how much I'd want to see Josh Brolin, Michael Stuhlbarg and Jemaine in this, but then I remember how unexciting the rest of it looks and I'm back to little to no anticipation for it.

I mean, I like the first one a lot, and 12-year-old me didn't mind MIB II either, but I just look at the trailers for it, remember the haphazard production stories, and then skim through all the potentially great things being released in the coming weeks, and I feel just fine saving this as a high-profile home viewing down the line.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

This was ok. Josh Brolin was the highlight of the film for me. I don't know why, but I felt that Boris did not feel dangerous or threatening to me. I wish they had expanded his part a bit more.

I saw this with my brother because he won two free tickets. I went in having only briefly seen the trailer and it was a decent enough film. Some parts drag on a bit, but there are seriously funny and/or cool moments. I really, really liked Brolin and Stuhlbarg's entire performances, everything in the 60s was well done, and I'm glad Jemaine is getting decent work, even though he is a bit wasted in the role. 3D conversion was not too intrusive, and the effects looked good for the most part... I liked the time jump sequences a lot. Mike Colter has a really striking face, and looks like Donald Glover's older brother or dad (even though he's only 36, I think). The baby in 5K and agent W have the funniest lines in the film. I'd say a firm, yet not enthusiastic, "yay" on MIB3.

I recall a time, circa Hollow Man, when Josh Brolin was simple James Brolin's wooden son. But lo and behold, I want to see this movie solely for him.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    The baby in 5K and agent W have the funniest lines in the film.

The baby one I assume is...

[
    ]

But which one was Agent W?

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    But which one was Agent W?
    [
    ]

Clement was terrible in this. But personally I blame the writing and direction more. Overall this was okay. Very inoffensive and kind of bland. Some chuckles.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I've rewatched the first MIB recently and I think it still holds on pretty well. This and Addam's Family Values are probably Sonnenfeld's best efforts imo, haven't watched Get Shorty, not sure if i'm missing much.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Great synopsis. OK Brolin. Not funny. No redeeming value. Good Ending. Will Smith has grown up and has lost his ability to charm me. This all equates to a NAY.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

After the movie, I had to take a double take when I saw it was written by "Etan Cohen"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    After the movie, I had to take a double take when I saw it was written by "Etan Cohen"
    Welcome to 2007.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Welcome to 2007.
    Did he write a movie in 2007 or something?

Ugh. This is the movie that finally took down The Avengers.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Did he write a movie in 2007 or something?
    Tropic Thunder. There were a lot of similarly confused reactions.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Tropic Thunder. There were a lot of similarly confused reactions.
    I should probably see that.

Is this worth seeing in 3D? More specifically, is the film based around the format? I'm not a fan of 3D, but I'll force myself to check it out if it makes full use of it.
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

I chose not to see it in 3D.

It's a decent conversion but nothing is really gained by seeing it in 3D.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    It's a decent conversion but nothing is really gained by seeing it in 3D.
    This is pretty much true for all 3D. I saw Titanic in 3D and it actually seemed to put me at more of a distance from the movie. It weirdly made everything a little more artificial and staged.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    This is pretty much true for all 3D.
    Well, conversions anyway. I saw Avatar both in 3D and 2D and it made an enormous difference visually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast