Thread: Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone

I was curious if anyone here has used this program and how effective they found it to be. I really wanna learn Spanish. And Swahili. And Ukrainian. And Turkmen.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I was curious if anyone here has used this program and how effective they found it to be. I really wanna learn Spanish. And Swahili. And Ukrainian. And Turkmen.
    I tried to use it to become fluent in French but then I got sick of having to do work and stopped using it and thus am not fluent in French.

The program seems good overall but it's a large time commitment. I've heard complaints from people using it to learn multiple languages. The issue is that it teaches words via images and it reuses the same exact images so your head becomes a clusterfuck of word/image relations.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I tried to use it to become fluent in French but then I got sick of having to do work and stopped using it and thus am not fluent in French.

The program seems good overall but it's a large time commitment. I've heard complaints from people using it to learn multiple languages. The issue is that it teaches words via images and it reuses the same exact images so your head becomes a clusterfuck of word/image relations.
    Really I'd just like to become fluent in Spanish. I've got some experience from taking classes in middle and high school, but most of that has faded from memory. Maybe some time later I'll work on a different language, but for now, I wanna learn Spanish. Does it work like a timed class or something, or can you go at your own pace?
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Really I'd just like to become fluent in Spanish. I've got some experience from taking classes in middle and high school, but most of that has faded from memory. Maybe some time later I'll work on a different language, but for now, I wanna learn Spanish. Does it work like a timed class or something, or can you go at your own pace?
    You go completely at your own pace.

I took four years of Spanish also and can't speak that for shit either. Sigh.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    You go completely at your own pace.
    That's good, because this would likely be a sporadic late-night endeavor for me. Might take me longer, but I'd prefer to do it this way.
    Last 5 Viewed

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    what I've heard from my friends who have done it is similar to what Qrazy said. It's amazing if you're trying to learn one language but headache inducing if you're trying to learn more then 1.

Most people learn one language at a time don't they? Can't recall anyone learning multiple languages at once.

Curious about Rosetta Stone myself.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Most people learn one language at a time don't they? Can't recall anyone learning multiple languages at once.
    I know a couple of people who do it. Both of my parents did it where they learned more then one at a time, though the second was done by itself. My dad is up to 6 and my mom is at like 4 I think. One of my best friend's wife had learned 6 languages by the time she was 26 and 4 of them were during her undergrad. She studies languages obviously.

Me though, I'm at 1.2

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I know a couple of people who do it. Both of my parents did it where they learned more then one at a time, though the second was done by itself. My dad is up to 6 and my mom is at like 4 I think. One of my best friend's wife had learned 6 languages by the time she was 26 and 4 of them were during her undergrad. She studies languages obviously.

Me though, I'm at 1.2
    Linguistics seems like a ridiculously tough major to take on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter