View Poll Results: American Reunion

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

10 62.50%
  • Nay

6 37.50%

Thread: American Reunion (Hurwitz, Schlossberg)

American Reunion (Hurwitz, Schlossberg)

AMERICAN REUNION

Directors: Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg

imdb

I thought it was enjoyable enough. Not quite as good as the first two, but definitely better than the third movie. And if you liked any of them, you'll probably like this one, too. Eugene Levy totally steals the show. All of his scenes are legit hilarious. And Stiffler wasn't nearly as obnoxious as he had a tendency to get in some of the other movies, so that was nice. So yeah, it was alright, I don't regret seeing it.

Stifler is the only good thing about this series and this film in particular.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Stifler is the only good thing about this series and this film in particular.
    I wonder how the salaries started and ended. I imagine he was probably the highest paid in the newest.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    This is the first and only American Pie movie I didn't hate. A couple inspired bits and it never felt obnoxious like the other ones. I'll never watch it again, but it's nice to see most of these actors in movies again. Good for them.

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I wonder how the salaries started and ended. I imagine he was probably the highest paid in the newest.
    Biggs and Scott got $5 million, Hannigan got $3 million, while everyone else got between $500,000 and $1 million. Except Tara Reid, they snuffed her.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Eugene got $3 mill. Good agent there.
    For sure. I mean he was the only one that managed to get himself cast in all the direct-to-DVD sequels too! The others must have been so jealous of him!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

A random thing I noticed is that several Pie cast members have one, and only one, great role. Chris Klein in Election, Mena Suvari in American Beauty, Tara Reid in The Big Lebowski, Thomas Ian Nicholas in Rookie of... uhh, scratch that one. Jason Biggs doesn't have one, but appearing in a Woody Allen movie was probably a really big deal for him.
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I was in high school when the first and second slices of the pie were released, and I have zero interest in this blatant nostalgia bait. I wasn't too fond of the original movies anyway, preferring Can't Hardly Wait, which I tried to force onto my friends at the time with little success. They were much more into the Pie movies, even going so far as to turn the original on at the end of our Junior Prom night while half the room was fondling one another's genitals under blankets. My genitals were left undisturbed; the movie offered little succour.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    My genitals were left undisturbed
    That's a shame. If it's any consolation, I probably would've bumped into you and touched them on "accident" just so you wouldn't feel so left out.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    For sure. I mean he was the only one that managed to get himself cast in all the direct-to-DVD sequels too! The others must have been so jealous of him!
    :lol: Touche.

Reid might actually be jealous.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Three stars for me. Definitely mixed, but it was a nice evening since I went with a bunch of mates whom I hadn't seen in some time, and who were there in 1999, 2001, 2003, so that nicely mimicked the premise of the movie.

The American Pie movies have always been immature, but you can't go wrong with the characters' infectious enthusiasm and that's really always been there. Just seeing Stifler's stupid face is more than enough to get me in the mood, but I've gotta say that each time this fourth installment aimed for earnestness, gravity, the results were close to cringe-inducing. Heather and Oz, Kevin and Vicky, attempting to relight the fires of yesteryear was brutally boring to sit through. Unearned, insincere. When it goes for broke, as it does in nearly the entire first hour, I was laughing pretty hard, really enjoying myself.

So overall, good the see the gang back, but it seems that little has changed as per who my favorites and who my less favorites were.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I've only seen the first two entries in the series, and I have to say that as far as teen comedies go both of them are pretty good. I have a feeling though that the last two entries leave something to be desired, but I'll probably view the third one at some point and rent the latest one.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Voltage!!!
    I probably liked it more than it deserves, but I found it pretty funny. Scott and Levy were great as always in these roles, and although it's probably due to a sense of nostalgia, I found it pretty charming.

I agree with Morris that the earnest moments weren't very good, though.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Tonight I viewed both the third and the forth films. My feeling is that since I've never gotten married I identified with Reunion way more since in 2010 I actually went to my high school reunion, and therefore that was something I could actually relate to. The 3rd flick is decent, but the forth one almost comes close to matching the first two movies while still falling short a bit. The original is still best, but my favorite remains the second movie. I'm really hoping that they close out the regular series with this latest installment, as it was good enough and had some decent laughs.

PS: Half stars for the rating system would be nice. I'd give this a *** 1/2 out of *****.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    PS: Half stars for the rating system would be nice.
    Not happening. Sorry.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Not happening. Sorry.
    I know, but a man can dream Raiders. A MAN CAN DREAM :P
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

A yay for the memories more than anything. This came out my first year of college so i've grown up as they have. Watching this made me feel a little old, but in a good way. Nice to see so many of them come back.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Watched this a week or so ago, and it`s passably entertaining, but it`s such a mixed bag comedically that it's hard to really recommend, its overall tone mimics the main characters' dialed down personalities (with the exception of Stifler) too much, and it just doesn`t have enough great individual moments to bring it around either. So it's oddly fitting that Stifler, being so stuck in the past as a character, is the main catalyst of any real momentum for laughs, in large part because of how much of his stuff stems from his frustration of just how mundane everything and everyone around him has become.

It does entirely depend on your investment and nostalgia for the first three, but having not seen any since the last was released, this almost had to stand alone for me in a weird way. Having said that, I kind of disagree with you guys about the more heartfelt character bits not working, since I found a few of those, like when Hannigan shows up to "catch up" with Biggs at the reunion, to be some of its stronger moments, and it's that sort of earnestness that's arguably the framework for anyone in the audience having any interest for any of this to exist in the first place.

Otherwise, as an American Pie movie, I'd rather re-watch the first two (maybe three, since I didn't dislike Wedding back when it came out either) than revisit this one or want to see another sequel any time soon.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Like most of their sex lives, this universe is dried up and past its prime. I also never thought I'd hear a song by LIT again in a movie.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Like most of their sex lives, this universe is dried up and past its prime. I also never thought I'd hear a song by LIT again in a movie.
    haha...I'm starting to have this weird nostalgia for this era, even though I hated it at the time. '98-'00 are starting to look like golden years for shallow, no-drama living. It was all frosted gel'd spikey hair, cargo shorts, Hawaiian shirts, an absolutely fantastic economy, a government that was paying back its debts in full, low low gas prices ('member when it went down to $1.00/gallon?), shitty music like LIT, Limp Bizcuit, Smash Mouth, and N'Sync but no one really cared that it was shitty and would sing along in blissful enjoyment, and the biggest international drama around was Bill Clinton's penis. Good times.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    A yay for the memories more than anything. This came out my first year of college so i've grown up as they have. Watching this made me feel a little old, but in a good way. Nice to see so many of them come back.
    I think you and I are the same age, so yeah, felt similar. I just wish they didn't feel the need to shoehorn in every character arc. The bearded guy/Tara Reid and the Chris Klein/Mena Suvari threads were the worst.

Also: dear Hollywood, cast Alyson Hannigan more pretty please?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6