View Poll Results: Wrath of the Titans

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 33.33%
  • Nay

4 66.67%

Thread: Wrath of the Titans (Jonathan Liebesman)

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar

Wrath of the Titans (Jonathan Liebesman)

Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

I feel we really need a third option of 'harmless' or 'meh' or 'thumbs sideways'.

- - - - -
    Every time you've enjoyed a Pirates of the Carribean movie, God makes a movie like this one.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I feel we really need a third option of 'harmless' or 'meh' or 'thumbs sideways'.
    But isn't that what the star rating is for?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Every time you've enjoyed a Pirates of the Carribean movie, God makes a movie like this one.
    I think I'll watch At World's End today - love that movie.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    But isn't that what the star rating is for?
    True. I could justify enjoying it but still recognize it is a bad movie.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I had this big long explanation of the movie but then my PC restarted and I lost it all. I'll write it again later.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ok rewrote what i said earlier:

This was much better than the first movie. It actually has a coherent story, likable characters, a clear conflict and climax... four things the first movie completely lacked. The action was smart, not drowned out by CGI and it was overall a fun movie to watch.

The biggest change I enjoyed was this movie is more of a journey with the Greek mythology woven into it. Go to A to get B and bring to C. It felt like it borrowed a lot from God of War (which is fine with me) in terms of setting and set piece specifically the Labyrinth, Mt Tartarus and Kronos. Kronos especially looks very God of Warish with the addition of magma spewing from him.

But i really enjoyed how they didn't define every little piece of Greek mythology to the audience. Hephaestus is there and the audience can figure out what he did without a voice over.

Then of course there's the Neeson-Effect, where he automatically makes every movie he's in appear to be better than it actually is. The biggest problem I have with this is the Deus Ex Machina ending;

[
    ]

Anyway, it's worth a viewing, but I have a hard time believing I'd watching it on HBO again.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I didn't read the spoilered bit, but the rest of it doesn't exactly sound like it lines up with the nay vote you gave it. If you went to see it (with adjusted expectations after the first movie) and you were satisfied with major aspects of it, I guess don't see where it could have failed so significantly elsewhere, especially being the sort of big, loud, popcorn movie it is.

But I guess I'm just slightly hopeful for when I eventually watch it at home several months from now, especially since I didn't hate Clash under similar cirumstances.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Yeah, gotta agree with Henry. Your text doesn't translate into the nay you gave it. In fact, it sounds like you enjoyed yourself with this movie. :/

With my NAY/YAY votes, my ultimate factor is whether or not I'd want to watch it again. And I'm struggling to find myself interested in doing so. The quality of the movie is represented in the star "grade". So there's MIXED feelings about it. I just feel it fell a little bit short of earning a YAY.

It's how I feel about the War of the Worlds remake. Some wonderful things happen during the journey, but the ending determines whether I am rewarded with satisfaction or not.

I think my spoiler wraps up my NAY vote nicely. Waiting for someone to agree/disagree here.

Didn't like this at all. I also watched it in 3D and after a while felt physically sick. I had to take of my glasses for a while. I find it hard coming up with things I liked about the movie. I guess the CGI was ok...

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    The technical work on display here is pretty spectacular, providing enough in the way of sheer spectacle to render this vaguely watchable, in spite of some really dreadful writing, direction, editing, and an overriding lack of spirit, pathos, or any particularly convincing emotional or thematic core. So yeah, this is pretty bad, but the monsters and shit are kinda kewl. Also noteworthy is how director Liebesman ends this on a very similar note to his previous film, Battle Los Angeles. Does the dude have a predilection for gung ho militarism?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    It's embarrassingly inept. How hard is it to make a fun adventure movie based on Greek mythology?

I was mostly wondering about Worthington's accent. Did the makers just decide to let him use his Australian one, or is he that bad at accents?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald