Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Personally I'm not convinced that Anderson needs a recognizable style. Trying something different each time and adapting his style accordingly seems to be working just fine for him.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I was around the corner from Film Forum on Saturday and later found out a surprise screening was announced. Ffffffff

You're in New York, boner?

When u come 2 LA?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    When u come 2 LA?
    Meet me in the airport on my return home.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    altman is undeniably indebted to renoir (and kurosawa, and others i'm sure) but he put enough of a spin on those influences to create a style that is uniquely his own. the difference with anderson is, for two or three films his influences were at the forefront of his style and it was hard to dig underneath and find what was uniquely anderson about the films. this is in contrast to wes anderson and even tarantino, both artists that steal frequently but established recognizable styles pretty early on. i don't think pta's uniqueness really emerges until punch-drunk love, which is unlike anything i've seen. this carries through to there will be blood, which is more recognizable, but no less a distinct product of pta.

in the interest of fairness, since that seems to be the issue here, i'm sure altman's industrial documentaries didn't have a distinct signature either. but we're talking about anderson.
    Boogie Nights does not feel like a Scorsese film to me at all. I see plenty of Anderson-esque touches throughout. Nor does Magnolia feel like an Altman film except for the approach of many different characters in overlapping stories which many directors have employed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Boogie Nights does not feel like a Scorsese film to me at all. I see plenty of Anderson-esque touches throughout. Nor does Magnolia feel like an Altman film except for the approach of many different characters in overlapping stories which many directors have employed.
    Yeah, I don't think you need to dig underneath anything. Boogie Nights, and Magnolia even more so, is very distinctively PTA. I think that's actually borne out by the fact that Magnolia is so drastically different from Short Cuts despite the similarity of their bare plots (interconnected stories of group of characters in California, climaxing in a natural disaster). I can't imagine that same storm of frogs in a Scorsese or Altman movie, for one thing.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Agree with Melville and Qrazy.

I always thought Altman and Scorsese's perceived influence on Anderson was overstated. Magnolia is very, very different from Short Cuts both stylistically and in its approach to drama. And while Anderson's early work featured a fluid camera reminiscent of Scorsese's, the two couldn't be further apart in terms of the general tone of their films. In my opinion, Anderson crafted a very distinctive and singular voice during his Hard Eight-Punch Drunk Love period. (Let's call this his exuberant cinema period.) He appears to have reinvented himself post-PDL and entered a new phase with yet another distinctive and singular vision.

Dude's at the top of the game right now. Very excited for this film, whether success or failure.

Nobody's mentioned Demme yet? I don't see it as much as PTA would clearly like me too, but his first and latest (in the trailer, at least) films have direct quotes of Melvin & Howard, for one.

It's harder finding films that feel indebted to PTA - the recent (and great) Brazilian film Neighboring Sounds is probably the one that most consistently evokes the free-floating anxiety and formal anti-rigor that I associate with his films, but it's still not explicit.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Nobody's mentioned Demme yet? I don't see it as much as PTA would clearly like me too, but his first and latest (in the trailer, at least) films have direct quotes of Melvin & Howard, for one.

It's harder finding films that feel indebted to PTA - the recent (and great) Brazilian film Neighboring Sounds is probably the one that most consistently evokes the free-floating anxiety and formal anti-rigor that I associate with his films, but it's still not explicit.
    What the hell is formal anti-rigor?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    Don't old people take anti-rigor to help with constipation? Pretty sure I've seen a bottle of the stuff in my grandmother's bathroom.

What Irish said.

Basically meant that his stylistic approach is fairly all-over-the-map (albeit in a strangely cohesive way).

Seeing this tomorrow. Be totes jelly ya'll.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I'm too lazy to check and see if its been mentioned already, but based on the preview for The Master I'm oddly reminded of Kubrick for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, and I'm probably wrong, but still....
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I'm too lazy to check and see if its been mentioned already, but based on the preview for The Master I'm oddly reminded of Kubrick for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, and I'm probably wrong, but still....
    The office scene is framed almost exactly like the one in The Shining where Torrance interviews for the job.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The office scene is framed almost exactly like the one in The Shining where Torrance interviews for the job.
    Ah, good catch.

Oh and if I'm looking to finally see a PTA film, where should I start? I was thinking of going with Hard Eight first, but I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on that one without going back to DVDs in the mail from Netflix.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Ah, good catch.

Oh and if I'm looking to finally see a PTA film, where should I start? I was thinking of going with Hard Eight first, but I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on that one without going back to DVDs in the mail from Netflix.
    They are all pretty different from each other. Hard Eight and Boogie Nights may have the most in common.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    They are all pretty different from each other. Hard Eight and Boogie Nights may have the most in common.
    True, although put together (at least from Boogie Nights on, I think Hard Eight mostly took place in Vegas, but its been too long) they do present a nice mosaic of eccentric outsiders of California.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    True, although put together (at least from Boogie Nights on, I think Hard Eight mostly took place in Vegas, but its been too long) they do present a nice mosaic of eccentric outsiders of California.
    Nice catch.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ah, good catch.

Watch Hard Eight last, it's his only mediocre film.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Phillip Baker Hall is appropriately Baker Hall-y, though. I dunno, I really like the reveal midway through, and certain scenes have a deftness and vitality to them (when he notices the blood on his shirt cuff, the dialogue had with Paltrow at the diner interrupted by the patron), but yeah. It definitely screams derivative, at times.

I prefer the crisp simplicity of Hard Eight to something more ambitious but messy like Magnolia. It's still a good movie even though it seems like a lesser work in hindsight.

Madman watches one movie a year. Do you guys really want to convince him to watch Hard Eight out of all of PTA's efforts?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I'd probably recommend Boogie Nights or Magnolia if you could only watch one PTA film.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Surprised this clip hasn't been posted:

[youtube]XuNLAZxSk2g[/youtube]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Madman watches one movie a year. Do you guys really want to convince him to watch Hard Eight out of all of PTA's efforts?
    I'm currently at 85 films on the year, asshole :P
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast