View Poll Results: 21 Jump Street

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

45 93.75%
  • Nay

3 6.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21 Jump Street (Phil Lord & Chris Miller)

I'll gladly be #18. This was a great time. The scene in the mall with the neighbor lady slayed me.

I'm not willing to give the movie a 'nay' but the third act is truly awful and nearly ruins the entire experience.

[
    ]

:cry:
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    This was fun. Nothing revelatory or particularly memorable, but a good time. Supplier reveal was lame, as were some of the more crude moments just for the sake of shock. Some jokes were too blatantly telegraphed, killing the punch. Still, Hill has never been more tolerable, and he had great chemistry with Tatum, who definitely excelled. The movie was at its best when it was simply reveling in its own absurdity.

Much funnier than I expected, even after all the good buzz. Also, Brie Larson needs to be in more stuff.

Tatum is terrific in this. He's wasting his time with any action movie he's in from now on.

And Depp's scene is also great, minus everything else that doesn't involve him.

And that kind of sums up the movie. Hill's subplot is absurd. It overplays some of its jokes, and peters out. I won't nay it, because of Tatum mostly. But it's almost there. Guess it's good we have our multi yay/nay system.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Guess it's good we have our multi yay/nay system.

I just didn't want to do it on my own.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A pleasant enough diversion, I suppose (given that it could have been much worse), but the film's lack of empathy for any female character was dispiriting. While it's noteworthy that the film isn't mean-spirited about gay panic, every woman here is a variation on the shrewish female (especially the other underground cops).

The film's metaness also frequently kills any of the attendant humor (Offerman's bit about the location or the "will or won't this blow up" mentality)... it works much better when just concentrating on Tatum's character. I also would have liked to see the film explore cliques beyond just the jock/brains divide, especially since it noted the goths, hipsters, and esoteric Asian cliques.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I also would have liked to see the film explore cliques beyond just the jock/brains divide, especially since it noted the goths, hipsters, and esoteric Asian cliques.
    Well the "hipster" cyclist guy was one of the main characters (at least of the HS kids) so not sure how you see this brain/jock divide. That was one of the funniest/main points of the movie. I don't even remember any jocks other than Tatum's fake jock who wound up hanging out with the brains.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Funny enough, though the dick humor grew awfully stale, as did the film predictably having-its-cake-and-eating-it-too concerning the meta humor. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was better.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Comedies like these play much better on the big screen with a fun audience ya'll.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I thought this movie worked very well when it focused on the high school and the cops going undercover there. Tatum was great, and both leads played off each other really well. I liked how Hill started to regress.

Then they had to go and add boring cop-movie staples, a pointless car chase and a shootout at the end that really have no place in the world of undercovers at a high school. This would have been a much better movie without anything to do with the actual gang (1% percenters? really?).

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    1% percenters? really?
    I :lol: 'ed.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Fun. Some of the jokes fell flat, sure, but the movie has a remarkably consistent tone (even when a joke bombs, it didn't rip me out of the scene) and the pacing was perfect.

Found the high school chemistry stuff the funniest. The chase scenes felt oddly fresh just by switching up the cars (dual control drivers ed was inspired).

[
    ]

This was really funny!

Great to see Tatum so well utilized finally, but I thought Dave Franco stole the show.

"You don't care about the environment? That's kinda fucked up, man."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Utterly hilarious, even though the final act felt a bit flat, although it still had some great jokes. This movie worked great as a comedy, and as a wonderful play on cop action movie cliches. I like how it noted that so many buddy cop movies have gay undertones, and Tatum and Hill had excellent chemistry together. In fact, Tatum displayed a rather fine knack for comedy, and I hope he makes more of them in the future. The scene where the two of them tripped out on drugs was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. Its been a while since I viewed a comedy that made me laugh that hard, and it was refreshing, actually.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This was bad. I found the winky-wink meta-ness of it all really obnoxious and self-satisfied and not funny. The third act seems irredeemably awful to me--actually, basically everything from the first car chase on, so more like the whole second half of the movie. It was sorta okay at first, but then it just kept going on and on...

This movie was funny, guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12