Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REVENGE!!!!

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

REVENGE!!!!

Time for another show to have it's own thread. This show is just GLEEFULLY trashy. Seriously, this is no guilty pleasure. It's a RIOT. I'm recommending this to everyone.

Although, I must say, I just finished episode 12, "Infamy," and I'm sooooo disappointed, though it's my own fault.

[
    ]

Still, this show is awesome. I love that it just fully embraces exactly what it wants to be rather than pushing for anything more. It's a primetime soap through and through, but by accepting that identity and having fun with it (and through the merits of the performances and writing), the show eclipses the quality of any daytime soap.

I had a heated discussion on whether or not it's still [
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Might want to spoiler that.

It did feel like they pulled a punch slightly. It's like they wanted to go for it, but perhaps the network, or their own consciences, wouldn't let it happen.

This show is a blast. I'm really glad I added it to the roster.

Another thing this show has going for it is impeccable timing. I was just thinking that

[
    ]

It's not the first case of them hitting the perfect note with me. Seriously, this show is so much fun. Thanks to both of you, Mara and number8, for championing this. I NEVER would have given it the time of day had it not been for your influence.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Thanks to both of you, Mara and number8, for championing this. I NEVER would have given it the time of day had it not been for your influence.
    I wouldn't have ever checked it out except it was being championed by The AV Club and this website, which I enjoy. The latter calls Emily/Amanda "The Hamptons Batman," which I have co-opted use of. Because it is apt.

I found the AV Club page which first intrigued me:

We didn't expect to love Revenge this much either, but here we are.

When the fall season started, we certainly didn’t expect ABC’s goofy soap Revenge to become one of our new favorites, but it’s swiftly risen in our estimation, thanks to its plot twists, fun characters, and surprising moral complexity. Plus, if you’ve never watched an episode, it’s pretty easy to dive right in with tonight's midseason finale because everybody talks about what they’re going to do and why most of the time, so you can get caught right up. Carrie Raisler would also like to remind you the right way to say the show’s title is to tilt your head skyward and yell, “REVEEEEEEENGE!”
    ...and I was like, I must know what is going on here.

I was hesitant about using that moniker until Hiroyuki Sanada showed up as her sensei. And then it's apt.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also of note: Nolan is secretly hot. They hide it under bad hair and very unfortunate clothing choices (including all these multiple collars that I just don't get.) He has an unusual (but not unhandsome) face, and he's tall with a great body.

He's also the most intriguing male character, so I'm a big Nolan fan.

- - - - -
    Everytime I see this thread title, I imagine Mara's old avatar yelling at the screen while shaking a fist: Revenge!!!!

Good times.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Also of note: Nolan is secretly hot. They hide it under bad hair and very unfortunate clothing choices (including all these multiple collars that I just don't get.) He has an unusual (but not unhandsome) face, and he's tall with a great body.

He's also the most intriguing male character, so I'm a big Nolan fan.
    It's funny cause if you look the dude up he's a model first and an actor second. So even though in the show he always has evilface he's still a perfectly handsome dude.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I just finished episode 14 and the thing that I was waiting for to happen the whole time happened. [
    ]
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

- - - - -
    Btw, the entire series up to date is available on Hulu Plus.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    The whole series is also on regular hulu for those of us who don't have plus. The whole series is also on the abc website.

AW MAN somehow this show came back without me noticing and I can't get it to stream properly on the website. I'm disappointed.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Two girls at the pub told me that this was appointment television. Apparently the woman wants revenge on everybody. Everybody.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Two girls at the pub told me that this was appointment television. Apparently the woman wants revenge on everybody. Everybody.
    You gotta watch it. It's soapy, circular, kind of ridiculous, and as fun as anything on television right now.

REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it working on Hulu? It better be working. I need my fix!!

Okay, this FUN FUN FUN so I forgive its soapy, twisty conventions, but people sure do spend a lot of time sitting around explaining their actions and feelings out loud. It's like the anti-Mad Men.

That said, I think Emily has pretty much got her mojo and focus back, and I'm glad. She has feelings, which is fine, but she's not letting them get in her way. From a viewer's perspective, I don't require her to be heartless, but I enjoy her more the more heartless she acts.

LOVED the last episode, and the twist at the end. I gotta say though, at some point wouldn't Nolan come through the door and say, "Seriously, Em, this is getting ridiculous. Please stop watching video of your dad's trial. It's beyond disturbing."

This episode was gooooood. We're getting into some really fine chess-moves plotting.

I'm reading a couple reviews that weren't thrilled with the last episode, saying that we don't learn anything and it doesn't advance the plot.

Well, maybe, but with plots this convoluted, it's not a bad idea to have an episode that connects a bunch of the dots and remind us of where all the players stand. Lost deployed these kinds of episodes to good effect. I really enjoyed how many past people they brought together, too.
    ...and the milk's in me.

WHEE!

It's hard to discuss this show when WHEE! is often my main reaction. Further thoughts:

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

Aw crap, that finale was awesome.

I give this show one more year before it collapses under its own weight, but in the meantime, it is FUN.

Anyone believe for a hot second that they're killing off Madeleine Stowe? She got back off the plane. Believe. Also, this might be a minor thing to note, but Charlotte's phone impression of her mother was spot-on. And I'm glad Amanda's back and that there's a wrench in the Emily/Jack romance, because I find him boring. Emily/Nolan I would go for. Nolan, by the way? Awesome. My favorite character on the show. I love him. His red pants were an important moment for me.

And the best line of ANY SHOW THIS YEAR might be:

"Just stay right where you are, and don't do anything revengey until I get there."
    ...and the milk's in me.

Gah! I need to spend the weekend catching up with this. I think I'm three or four behind. That's totally unacceptable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast