Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supernatural

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

Supernatural

I decided to make a thread for this show because I'm starting it up from the beginning. I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future, and while I'm working I've decided to have this going at the same time.

I'm five episodes in, and while it's heavily flawed, I'm having fun. It's a nice mix of funny and creepy. The dialogue is way too expository and the show is really oddly repetitive. It's not just the monster-of-the-week repetition, but the details within each story, such as the fake id that gets them access only to get them caught later, and the attractive female that gives Dean a kiss before the credits roll after he and Sam save the day, etc. I'm hoping this stuff works itself out as the show picks up steam. I can only assume it does considering the praise being given to the latter seasons.

Oh good, cause I should probably stop clogging the TV thread with my posts.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Oh good, cause I should probably stop clogging the TV thread with my posts.
    Was it you that said the show is just littered with beautiful people? Because, obviously, that is spot on. Every episode has at least one ridiculously attractive actor filling a one-time role.

Also, the familiar faces have been fun. The pilot had Tyra from FNL, the second episode had the QB from Glee, and the fourth had Tess from Eureka.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Hey, me too! Just watched the pilot yesterday. I'm kinda excited. I have been meaning to watch some of this for years.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Hah! I watched the pilot over the weekend. Those two leads have a great chemistry together, and the show carries over a lot of X-Files style thanks to producers John Shiban and Kim Manners.

Why, hello, fellow noobs. I'm almost halfway through Season 4. Do catch up.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

If only so you get to see the context of this video.
    Movie Theater Diary

I watched this show before it was cool.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I just added this to NetFlix instant on the recommendation of friends. I am going to start on this sometime this week, so thanks for starting the thread, KF!

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I watched this show before it was cool.
    I watched it before that, and Amberlita watched it EVEN BEFORE THAT.

I think its sudden popularity on the boards is amusing, actually. I said in a thread a few years ago that it was secretly one of the best shows on television, and I believe I was poo-poo'd.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I think its sudden popularity on the boards is amusing, actually.
    the power of netflix instant.

What channel is it on ?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What channel is it on ?
    CW

If only so you get to see the context of this video.
    Off the top of my head, the funniest scenes in the entire series involve an 8 foot teddy bear attempting suicide, and an alien slow-dancing with an obnoxious college kid to "Lady in Red."

I mean... that's kind of the show in a nutshell.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Off the top of my head, the funniest scenes in the entire series involve an 8 foot teddy bear attempting suicide, and an alien slow-dancing with an obnoxious college kid to "Lady in Red."

I mean... that's kind of the show in a nutshell.
    YES. Holy shit that was hysterical. But I laughed even harder at the exchange between Dracula and the pizza delivery guy.

"Isss zere... Garlic, on ze peetza?"
    "I don't know, did you order it with garlic?"
    "NO."
    "Look, buddy, I have three more deliveries tonight. Can you just give me the money so I can go?"
    "Of course! Vut I have... a coupon."
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm starting to think this show has more torture scenes than 24.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm somewhere in Season 2 and am enjoying the Hell out of it.

I started watching it when I saw a Teefury shirt that I liked. Figured I had to start watching the show to see whether or not I should get the shirt.

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Back when it first started airing on CW, I began watching the show, then lost interest. Since its available on Netflix IV I might give the show another chance. Also so I can find out why in one episode (which I saw a clip of thanks to The Soup) [
    ]
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I said in a thread a few years ago that it was secretly one of the best shows on television, and I believe I was poo-poo'd.
    I'm in the middle of Season 5 now, and I'm absolutely boggled how this show has stayed so under the radar with most people. It's like a cabal of fangirls have found the fountain of youth and hid it in plain sight, like some sort of Tumblr pond.
    Movie Theater Diary

"It's kinda funny talking to [spoiler] on a cell phone. Like watching a Hell's Angel ride around in a moped."
    "This isn't funny, Dean! The voice tells me I'm almost out of minutes!"

:lol:
    Movie Theater Diary

Well, this first season is really mediocre, and that might have something to do with it. It's getting kind of tiresome, because the flaws I mentioned before are sticking around, but not only that, the show's "influences" are turning into borderline plagiarism. The poltergeist episode was a pretty egregious offender, but really, it's been happening all season. The show is riding the coattails of other shows and films' successes without adding much of its own. I'm going to push on because it's easily digestible while I'm working and so many people rave about seasons 3-4-5, but I'm ready for improvement, and I can fully understand why anyone would have given up early on.

I think the problem with the first season is that there's not much of an arc. They just go through the episodic shit with just a general goal of "find Dad." Starting with Season 2, there's more of a piece-by-piece progression, where each episode devotes as much time solving the weekly monster as it is building the great seasonal storylines. And yeah, seasons 3-4-5 is when they got really ambitious by building one huge storyline told in 3 "acts."
    Movie Theater Diary

I think the problem with the first season is that there's not much of an arc. They just go through the episodic shit with just a general goal of "find Dad." Starting with Season 2, there's more of a piece-by-piece progression, where each episode devotes as much time solving the weekly monster as it is building the great seasonal storylines. And yeah, seasons 3-4-5 is when they got really ambitious by building one huge storyline told in 3 "acts."
    This is also a problem. We were genuinely surprised when we hit "Home" because it actually progressed a continual storyline. The episode still failed to impress, but at least it was more than just a monster-of-the-week filler.

My apathy for the show can best be seen in how little I'm involved in this thread. When I started on Buffy, I was posting brief thoughts on a per episode basis. With this one, I find I have nothing much to say. I can't wait for that to change.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Well, this first season is really mediocre, and that might have something to do with it.
    I maintain that if number8 made it through the dumb stuff in Supernatural, he could totally make it through the bad first-season-and-change of BtVS.

Not to knock Supernatural-- I totally enjoy it-- but the pay-offs are never quite as great. And it is certainly, as you mentioned, deeply influenced by both BtVS and The X-Files.

By the way, 8, you have now met my favorite character in the show, and one of my favorites of all time. "This isn't funny, Dean." He and Dean have mad chemistry, too.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast