Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambient Music: 50 Essential Albums

Ambient Music: 50 Essential Albums

While thinking about compiling this list, I simply couldn't call it “The 50 Best Ambient Albums,” or some other such nonsense. And that’s for a number of reasons. 1) I don’t consider myself an expert, nor have I heard enough (even though I've heard a ton) to make such a claim. It seems that I discover something new and worthwhile on a weekly basis (I made such a discovery this very day). 2) It’s really hard to put 50 ambient album in some kind of numbered order. Sure, there are albums that are better than other albums, but when it comes down to it, would entry #37 be worse than entry #25? I don’t know. Is drone 1 better than drone 2? How do you rank an hour long tone? Again, some albums are definitely better than others, and the albums closer to the number one spot might be “more essential,” but really I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the albums on this list.

And so what I’ve decided to do is to make a list of 50 Ambient albums that I think are essential to a collection. This could be for someone wanting to get into the genre, or it could be for someone wanting to expand their previously-started catalog. However, any one of these albums would be a welcomed addition to any ambient music collection.

I will say this, though: the top 10 will be my "official top 10."

There will be a large number of newer (post-2000) releases on this list, and here’s why. Since Brian Eno released Ambient 1: Music for Airports, there are have been many, many ambient releases. And over the years, time has served as the best filter, thus the really good stuff from the 1970s and ‘80s, and probably the ‘90s now as well, has risen to the top. And so it’s safe to assume that the older stuff on this list are truly classics, and the albums that really deserve to be here. That’s not to say that there aren’t still hidden gems out there from the past, because there are. The new stuff however is exciting and, well, new. The genre is expanding at a rapid rate thanks to the influx of netlabels and free music. I guess you could look at it this way: in ten years time, if I were to make another list like this, the older the album the better chance there will be of it remaining on the list, while the newer stuff could drop off as trends change and time filters the great from the good.

And now comes the hardest part - what am I talking about when I talk about ambient music? That is a good question. I’ve decided to do a couple of things. First of all, I’ll mainly be avoiding stuff that I think is more beat-orientated, or more in the minimal-electronica/techno sub-genre. That’s not to say that there won’t be examples of more beat-orientated stuff on the list, but I’ll be drawing the line in places that some might find arbitrary.

I’ve also decided to create the Scale of Ambiance to give some kind of indication as to just how “ambient” the album is. A score of a 5 will mean “the most ambient.” With these albums imagine Eno’s Music for Airports, or Steve Roach’s Structures from Silence. These albums have that classic “ambient sound.” A score of a 1 will mean that the album has ambient qualities, but it is more of a hybrid album. An example of this would be Marconi Union’s Distance, with its beats, guitar, and more structured melodies.

And finally, I won’t be writing extensively about each artist or album. There’s not a need for that. I’ll let the music speak for itself, provide links, and offer up only the most minimal of commentary. I mean, after all, how many times can I describe an album as dense, haunting, and atmospheric?

Awesome. I love that you're doing this project, and look forward to many new musical discoveries.

I still "crank" the Arcticology album frequently, which I believe you recommended some years ago back. Expecting that kind of consistency again...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I still "crank" the Arcticology album frequently, which I believe you recommended some years ago back. Expecting that kind of consistency again...
    Yeah. For awhile, Arcticology was very active in the netlabel community. One of the first CC artists I discovered. I haven't heard anything from him in quite awhile. Good stuff though.

Artist: Lemongrass
    Album(s): Ambient Land 1 & 2
    Year(s): 2007/2010
    Scale of Ambience: 3
    Style: Piano/Electronic/Drone

Two EPs that, when combined together, form an awesome album. And I'm cheating a little bit - this entry only counts as one essential album.

Lemongrass has a wonderfully simply style that is simultaneously playful and melancholy. Ambient Land 1 is happy and warm, while Ambient Land 2 feels more somber and cold. Together these two EPs take the listener on a journey from an earthbound golden field into the vast reaches of the atmosphere.

Tracks:
    Polar Nights
    Wonderland

I'll be disappoint if CSG doesn't make the list.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    I'll be disappoint if CSG doesn't make the list.
    Heh....I don't think I can consider myself "essential."

Although I'm really glad that other people do! I had of fans on FB say that CSG should make the list.

If you were to pick a CSG album to be on an essential ambient albums list, which would it be?

Hard to say. I'm a sucker for the intoxicatingly lovely vocal samples utilized in Especially For Them, and I adore the micro-beat ambiance of the Colonial Spa EP, but ultimately I always find myself coming back to the sheer beauty of Darkness and the Light and Behind Clouds. Of course, I haven't heard all of your stuff yet, but trust me, I'm almost as experienced in the ambient realm as you are, and you deserve a spot on a top 50 list, without a doubt. Don't sell yourself short, Daniel.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

I'll tell you what, Russ. If you want to pick one CSG to consider "essential" and enter it on the list as a guest contributor, following the format above, feel free to do so.

Cool. I'm re-listening to Especially For Them again right now and am thoroughly digging it. I could easily go with it. But, I really love your work in general, D, so this is going to be tough. Give me a little while, and save me an honorary spot. I'll give you an essential write-up.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Cool. I'm re-listening to Especially For Them again right now and am thoroughly digging it. I could easily go with it. But, I really love your work in general, D, so this is going to be tough. Give me a little while, and save me an honorary spot. I'll give you an essential write-up.
    Will do. Especially for Them is a personal favorite of mine, but I cannot listen to it anymore because of the time of my life it reminds me of. It just brings back a flood of memories of my divorce and all kinds of crazy stuff and drama.

Artist: Algaia (Gino Fioravanti and John Toso)
    Album: Three Organic Experiences
    Year: 2003
    Scale of Ambience: 4
    Style: Meditative/Piano/New Age

Algaia, Three Organic Experinces is an album that can be experienced on a variety of different levels. It can be actively engage, and provides for a rewarding listening experience as new sounds and textures are constantly being discovered. It can also be used as a meditative tool, its sounds working in a hypnotic fashion (the artists specialize in meditative music, musical therapy, and other such new age techniques/mumbo jumbo (believe what you will)). The sounds on the album very from treated pianos to unearthly noises, and from various ethnic instruments and voices to natural samples. It is an album that serves a purpose while also being a unique artistic expression.

Tracks:
    Seven Ancient Glaciers (edit)
    The Mysterious Fish Named Kun (edit)

Artist: Cluster and Brian Eno
    Album: Cluster & Eno
    Year: 1977
    Scale of Ambience: 1
    Style: Experimental

Cluster, a pioneering electronic duo, and Brian Eno teamed up for a few albums in the late 1970s. This is the first of those. While not strictly ambient in nature, it does possess ambient qualities. It's focus is clearly more on rhythmic structure and shorter compositions. One might call the tracks on this album 'miniatures,' and each seems to contain an entire world of themes and motifs.

Tracks:
    Fur Luise
    Die Bunge

Artist: Marcel Tuerkowsky
    Album: Night Tapes
    Year: 2006
    Style: Experimental/Loop Based/Electronic

Night Tapes is an excellent example of modern ambient techniques. It is at times noisy and harsh, and at times quiet and tranquil. It mixes elements of modern composition with traditional musicianship, and is evocative of a certain, although mysterious, time and place.

Tracks:
    Still Believe in Still
    De Dodu

Full album available for free via Archive.org

Just listened to that Cluster/Eno album yesterday. Big thumbs up. How did Eno manage to be in so many disparate musical areas/genres in the late 70s/early 80s? I still keep meaning to check out his No Wave compilation.

Quote Quoting Glass Co. (view post)
    Just listened to that Cluster/Eno album yesterday. Big thumbs up. How did Eno manage to be in so many disparate musical areas/genres in the late 70s/early 80s?
    I think in many ways, Eno views music as a job, as work. Just as a carpenter might view doing different jobs at different houses, in different styles. And as a craftsman, he always wants to do the best job he possibly can.

Artist: The Orb
    Album: Pomme Fritz
    Year: 1994
    Style: Dub-techno/Sample-based/Experimental

The Orb epitomized the 1990s ambient sound. They made a ton of good music, and pretty much defined the chill-room experience of the rave culture. I believe that Pomme Fritz is their crowning masterpiece. It is far and away their most bizarre and difficult album, and it is also their most creative artistic statement. The record label hated, there isn't a single danceable beat on the entire thing, and it is relentlessly weird. It is also overflowing with strange samples that probably haven't ever been sampled before or since. If there is a single word that most perfectly describes Pomme Fritz, it is 'unique.'

Tracks:
    Pomme Fritz
    We're Pastie to be Grill You

Artist: Aidan Baker
    Album: The Sea Swells a Bit
    Year: 2006
    Scale of Ambience: 1
    Style: Guitar/Live Looping/Experimental

"The universe is big," is a more definitive, concrete statement than "Adrian Baker is prolific." Baker puts out more albums in a month than some bands do during their entire career. And what's most spectacular is that the majority of them or good; Baker creates interesting, live ambient music that incorporates elements of shoegaze, rock, jazz and drone. Picking one album of his to be considered "essential" is practically an impossible task, but The Sea Swells a Bit is as good as any and my most listened-to album of his.

Tracks:
    Davey Jones' Locker

I'll just throw this out there right now in case anyone is waiting in anticipation....

I'm not a fan of Tangerine Dream, and I don't think their music holds up today. I listened to a ton of their stuff over the last few days trying to pick something essential, and I couldn't come up with a single album that I like anymore. There are tracks that I dig (like the first track off of Cyclone), but I don't really care for any full-length albums.

Artist: Gavin Bryars Ensemble
    Album: The Sinking of the Titanic
    Year: 1975
    Scale of Ambience: 2
    Style: Neo-Classical

The Sinking of the Titanic is one of the most emotional and powerful pieces of music ever written. The music, coupled with the subtle sound effects, create a tangible sense of place and atmosphere, and take the listener on a doomed journey to the depths of the sea.

The Sinking of the Titanic

Heard of this before but never actually listened. It's damn gorgeous. How's the other cut on the album compare?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Heard of this before but never actually listened. It's damn gorgeous. How's the other cut on the album compare?
    I prefer the longer version. To tell you the truth, I'm a little unsure of the piece's history as to what is the "official" version. The only version I own is the one with the cover I posted - it's the long, full-length CD version.

I do know that the original was released on Eno's Obscure label, and was produced by Eno, but I'm not sure which version that is.

Oh, ok. It's paired with another track of similar length ("Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet") on spotify. Is the "long" version 25 minutes or is it longer? I could dig an hour, Thursday Afternoon style.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Oh, ok. It's paired with another track of similar length ("Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet") on spotify. Is the "long" version 25 minutes or is it longer? I could dig an hour, Thursday Afternoon style.
    The long version I have is over an hour:

http://www.amazon.com/Bryars-Sinking...9446555&sr=1-1

There is also a longer version of "Jesus' Blood..." which I have, and it is amazing as well.

I should read up more on the history of these pieces.

Artist: Kenji Kawai
    Album: Ghost in the Shell OST
    Year: 1995
    Scale of Ambience: 2
    Style: Soundtrack/Percussive

The pairing of Mamoru Oshii and Kenji Kawai has produced some of the most interesting marriage of images and sounds ever created; trying to pick one example was an extremely difficult endeavor - other possible choices included the OSTs for Jin-Roh and Patlabor. Kenji's work on the Ghost in the Shell OST is a masterclass in the use of percussion and space in ambient/minimal composition, and the incorporation of the Shinto prayer chanting adds a spiritual element to the music.

Tracks:
    Nightstalker
    Chant 2 - Ghost City

Artist: Language of Landscape
    Album: Memories Fade Under a Shallow Autumn Snow
    Year: 2010
    Style: Piano/Guitar/Lowercase

Chris Tenz, the pianist in this project, was one of the first netlabel artists I discovered while I was getting into CC-licensed music, and he's remained a favorite ever since. I think this is his best ambient-style album. Here he is joined by Cory Zaradur on the guitar and samples, and together they make what can best be described as lowercase music.

The album is available on Bandcamp, pay what you want.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast