Thread: 50 Greatest Brit Writers

50 Greatest Brit Writers

According to The Times (since the war)...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle3127837.ece

I've only read books my 6 of these authors. About half of those authors are those who I would not consider myself to have "read."

I fail.

JK Rowling better than Michael Moorcock? Please. This is an insult to the English language. What a travesty. Moorcock helped to define and redefine the conventions of multiple genres, and his prose is often illustrious. Rowling wrote some pretty good books mired in genre convention that became extremely popular. Is this a popularity contest, a bank-account contest, or a contest to determine who really is the "greatest" writer?

At least J.G. Ballard is higher up.

I would also put C.S. Lewis a lot higher than Tolkien.

Nice to see Mervyn Peake and Iain Banks as well.

Seems like they could have included John Wyndham.

Hmm, I've never even heard of Larkin...
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    i shamefully admit that me neither.

folks who, i think, are placed too high.

1. Philip Larkin
    5. Doris Lessing (please...i like her, but she's there mainly because of the recent noble prize.)
    7. V. S. Naipaul
    19. Martin Amis
    43. Philip Pullman (should not even be included)

folks who, i think, are placed too low.

16. Roald Dahl
    32. Kazuo Ishiguro
    35. Ian McEwan
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

I probably couldn't name 50 Brit writers.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

ok, this larkin guys is some sorta poet. he doesn't write that much fiction, so he might actually be famous in his field.

:add his name on the list of folks who are way too high:

Kinda shows how little I've read of contemporary Brit lit. Kinda surprised Zadie Smith didn't sneak in on the bottom...
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    I haven't either. Actually, I haven't heard of half of those authors.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    I haven't either. Actually, I haven't heard of half of those authors.
    He's a poet, and MC has never really struck me as being as interested in poetry as, say, the novel...
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

Quote Quoting jesse (view post)
    He's a poet, and MC has never really struck me as being as interested in poetry as, say, the novel...
    yes, i guess if there's anyone among us who know the guy, it has to be you. but seriously though, is he actually that great?

yes, i guess if there's anyone among us who know the guy, it has to be you. but seriously though, is poetry actually that great?

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    yes, i guess if there's anyone among us who know the guy, it has to be you. but seriously though, is poetry actually that great?
    If you discount poetry aren't you demoting Shakespeare?

I haven't always been one of the converted, but yes, yes it is. And taking it one step further, I'll even say that at its best it trumps prose.

And lovejuice, I'm actually not all that familiar with Larkin myself. I've read some of his stuff, but I couldn't name any titles off the top of my head... But I do have to say, I think Ted Hughes is much too high...
    Memories of the Future

I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Sycophant was just joking.

As for Match Cut's seeming disregard for poetry, I will say that I really like poetry when I read it, but for some reason I very rarely do so.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

As for Match Cut's seeming disregard for poetry, I will say that I really like poetry when I read it, but for some reason I very rarely do so.
    Indeed, I was mostly joking. I occasionally curl up with my volume of Emily Dickinson, but I rarely do that. And I'd certainly classify Shakespeare as a playwright before I would a poet (though it's been ages since I've read his sonnets).

Perhaps it's because the majority of poetry I've encountered since high school has largely consisted of the sort of things that pop up on LiveJournals, is deemed "inspirational", or whiny-ass liberal rants at political rallies, usually characterized by poorly constructed couplets or a complete disregard for cadence.

Again, I've read poetry I've liked. Still do occasionally. I recognize there's great stuff, but I don't find it as fulfilling as other media, so I don't spend a lot of time with it and certainly don't seek it out.

And, yeah, it was a joke I totally wouldn't have made, had lovejuice not constructed his sentence just so.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm a philistine.

Perhaps, but I still probably would have given the same response. Poetry is too often dismissed as being esoteric or out-of-touch, which is really a shame because that's really not the case.

I was reading a lot of poetry there for a while last year, but it's been a good while since I've cracked open a poetry book. I really should change that.
    Memories of the Future

Perhaps it's because the majority of poetry I've encountered since high school has largely consisted of the sort of things that pop up on LiveJournals, is deemed "inspirational", or whiny-ass liberal rants at political rallies, usually characterized by poorly constructed couplets or a complete disregard for cadence.
    Oh, well yes, but that goes for anything--creative prose, film reviewing, even journalism. The downside of blogs, message boards, etc is that it makes public a lot of ramblings/jottings/practice that in the past would have been kept hidden in personal notebooks.

As an addendum to my last post though, I will say that reading poetry is an acquired skill, or at least it was for me.
    Memories of the Future

As an addendum to my last post though, I will say that reading poetry is an acquired skill, or at least it was for me.
    I can certainly appreciate that. Maybe one day I'll crack open some poetry and really figure out what to do with it, but I'm still just really adjusting to doing a lot of prose reading.

And I'd certainly classify Shakespeare as a playwright before I would a poet (though it's been ages since I've read his sonnets).
    His plays are predominantly poetry, iambic pentameter.

I've only read 22 from The Times list.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Philip Larkin is probably the premier British poet of the late 20th century.

Although, to be fair, I didn't really know him either until I had to study him for my seminar in modern poetry class. He's a bitter pill.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Oh, and I've read at least some of:

1. Philip Larkin
    2. George Orwell
    3. William Golding
    6. J. R. R. Tolkien
    11. C. S. Lewis
    16. Roald Dahl
    42. J. K. Rowling
    43. Philip Pullman

very amusing placement of those last two.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society