View Poll Results: The Grey (Joe Carnahan)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

36 92.31%
  • Nay

3 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grey (Joe Carnahan)

The Grey (Joe Carnahan)

Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Dammit, did I fuck up the rating thread thingy idea already? Well if I did, my bad.

Any way, I quite enjoyed this. Exceeded my expectations and then some.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Dammit, did I fuck up the rating thread thingy idea already? Well if I did, my bad.

Any way, I quite enjoyed this. Exceeded my expectations and then some.
    Nope. Just vote and rate the thread here. Discussion can still take place in the other thread as well.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Actually the intent is to have this be the only discussion thread for the film. The Upcoming threads are to be closed once the film is released and a thread created here and if desired, we can link to the Upcoming thread in the first post.

I will move Skitch's post to this thread.

Also, not to be too demanding, but please keep the title of the poll as the name of the film and the votes to a simple yay and nay. This has to do with the database and how I run queries if and when we create a master tally thread.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

So... spoilers can be posted here without tags then? Whereas in the upcoming thread they should still be there. Right?

Gonna see this for sure.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think there should be spoiler tags here too.

Yeah, I think there should always be spoiler tags.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Actually the intent is to have this be the only discussion thread for the film. The Upcoming threads are to be closed once the film is released and a thread created here and if desired, we can link to the Upcoming thread in the first post.
    Good. I really like this system. No need to move my post, sir.

The Gray strikes me as a potential Raiders movie for some reason. Some of the good buzz this movie is getting makes me consider it as a strong rental. Plus of course Liam Neeson punching wolves.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So whoever said this movie was stunningly good, they weren't lying. Even with my increased expectations, this movie still surpassed them. Really, really legitimately good movie.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yup, really intense, emotionally gripping and overall just very well made. But I also liked Smokin' Aces and The A-Team just fine, so maybe I'm not as shocked as others that Carnahan's work here is as enjoyable as it is.

I was aware of the movie being promoted for a long time, but I went in only having seen a single TV spot and a short clip from a talk show. I'm so glad I avoided anything else (although mostly accidentally), because I was pretty shocked when my friends told me after the movie what the trailers showed.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

This was pretty freaking great. Neeson is the badass of badasses, but the violence was brutal and the psychology and philosophical questions were pretty interesting.

It was much more than I expected it to be from the trailers.

That is a very good thing.

Yeah, the trailer shows the final scene of the movie. It tempered the emotions of that scene a bit.

The film's only real flaw is that keeps flip-flopping between a standard horror film and a psychological drama. I could have dealt with less of the former. Though beyond that, it's pretty great. It definitely makes up for the horrendous Smokin' Aces.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I was a bit drunk when I saw this so I don't 100 percent trust my opinion, but I was also consistently impressed by how assured it felt throughout. Why is it a flaw to flip-flop between psychological and physical horror? How are those mutually exclusive? Anyway it worked best for me as a showcase for Liam Neeson. Even in the goofiest movies, that guy has such a presence to him. More of these types of films should star big hulking Irishmen constantly looking off into the distance giving wry, knowing half-smiles

Mixed, slightly more to the negative side, because it's all just a little too blunt and ragged on the surface, but pure factory-product underneath.

[
    ]
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yeah, the trailer shows the final scene of the movie. It tempered the emotions of that scene a bit.

The film's only real flaw is that keeps flip-flopping between a standard horror film and a psychological drama. I could have dealt with less of the former. Though beyond that, it's pretty great. It definitely makes up for the horrendous Smokin' Aces.
    I agree with this and I'm glad I didnt see that particular scene in the trailer the first time around. I enjoyed this a lot, and I don't think it was particularly the Neeson factor. I loved the environment, especially plots that revolve around a snowy environment . They're rare and when they're done right can come off more realistic than usual; something about a cold environment allows for me to relate more to what is happening on screen.

Beautiful touch
    [
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I didn't see the trailer and knew nothing except for that Neeson punches a wolf in the film, so it was nice to only have that (and knowing of the good reviews) to go on, which combined for one of the most pleasant surprises I've had at the movies in a while. My tweet:

Hey nearly every Oscar hopeful, a January release is better than you, how does that feel. Cant remember the last studio film with such a convincing (if blunt) existential bent. Gotta admit, it actually betters MEEK'S CUTOFF in the most crucial dept

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Cant remember the last studio film with such a convincing (if blunt) existential bent.
    Yes. It's like a bleaker version of Camus' Myth of Sisyphus: a raw depiction of life reduced to its brute elements, [
    ]
    I'm awaiting a Raiders review of this.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Did anyone know there's a final 2 second post-credits scene?

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

[
    ]
    Yeah, the guy at the ticket booth was informing people to stick around after the credits. Never had them do that for any other movie, and this isn't one where I would have thought to expect anything afterwards.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm glad I went and saw this before it left theaters it was fantastic.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

- - - - -
    This was solid. Neeson carries it & the rest of the cast is fine, if disposable.

There's a lot of stuff here that's shallow and on the nose, but just as much that works with some depth. Thought the ending was a pretty ballsy move.

I'm curious why the studio dumped this in January, and what might have caused them to lose faith. This isn't any kind of blockbuster action picture, but as a horror/drama kind of thing it easily holds its own with any of the releases from last year.

Maybe it didn't test well?

Beautiful touch
    [
    ]
    The really funny thing, there's a scene in the airplane right when the stewardess closes the curtains and the camera pans back across all the seats and there was this smoke emanating from all the passengers and I thought "what the hell kinda airline is this?!" But it was their breath.

Very strong movie. I liked it. When it aims for texture, pathos and philosophy it isn't always hit, but definitely more hit than miss. I guess Joe Carnahan is back! And so awesome to have one of the dudes [
    ]
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]