View Poll Results: How should we proceed with the MC yearly database?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Status Quo: Yay or Nay

15 40.54%
  • Flexibility: Yay/Mixed/Nay

9 24.32%
  • Snooty: YAY/yay/mixed/nay/NAY

12 32.43%
  • I want to be difficult and have proposed a new system below.

1 2.70%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MC Yearly Database: What's Your Flavor of Choice?

Let somebody love you, desperado.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

:lol:

You know, I hate the Eagles but their version of that song is the best. Although Clint Black's is not that bad.

PS: Re on "Snooty: YAY/yay/mixed/nay/NAY." Did someone in this thread explain what the difference between a "nay" and a "NAY" is? Or a "YAY" and a "yay?" I like the word "Snooty," though. Has a nice ring to it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I voted for yay/mixed/nay, but would prefer the status quo to a five option system. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to say the snooty system wins on some kind of merger theory.

Let the debate rage on.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)

PS: Reported.
    I never thought that smiley looked anything like sarcastic.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I voted for yay/mixed/nay, but would prefer the status quo to a five option system. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to say the snooty system wins on some kind of merger theory.

Let the debate rage on.
    I'm with this. I voted yay/mixed/nay, though I would definitely prefer to keep things as they currently are than change to the five option format.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)

Let the debate rage on.
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I'm with this. I voted yay/mixed/nay, though I would definitely prefer to keep things as they currently are than change to the five option format.
    You guys do realize that if there was a 5-option system, you could still choose to only use the middle 3 (pro-mixed-con). Using the PRO and CON option is not forced. Same deal for people who don't want mixed, but like the idea of PRO-pro-con-CON. It kinda leaves room for everyone to use it how they want...

The problem with a "mixed" option, is that it would way overused. I mean, what qualifies as mixed anyway? I've never personally been mixed on a film. A 5/10 for me is nay and a 6/10 is yay.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The problem with a "mixed" option, is that it would way overused. I mean, what qualifies as mixed anyway? I've never personally been mixed on a film. A 5/10 for me is nay and a 6/10 is yay.
    We all have different ways the way we interpret ratings. A 5/10 for me is something that had potential, I enjoyed some elements, but there were also major continuity errors. That to me sounds like “MIXED”. Anything above the 50s is a YAY. Anything below the 50s is a NAY.

So I’d like to change my vote from the status quo to the three pronged approach.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I agree with this. That's why I would vote status quo over the other two. I'm pro-YAYs and NAYs but anti-mixed.

EDIT: Please don't mistake that for a pro- because I'm anti that as well.

Then simply don't use "mixed." I would use it quite rarely, perhaps never, myself, since I ultimately come down positive or negative on most movies.

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Then simply don't use "mixed." I would use it quite rarely, perhaps never, myself, since I ultimately come down positive or negative on most movies.
    Then why have it at all? What benefit does mixed have in a consensus, I guess is my big question? I believe it hinders the point of the thread. Take a stand one way or another.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    the moment I saw the poll just now I quickly voted status quo simply because ezee looks at our posts and changes it. Giving someone more work on a menial task that they are happily doing for free is no bueno.

I have 14 more options I am willing to add to my system if it will help.

Preview:
    Wrath of Con
    Wrath of Con -
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I have 14 more options I am willing to add to my system if it will help.

Preview:
    Wrath of Con
    Wrath of Con -
    Very CONfident-
    CONfident
    unCONfident+

?

Btw, I'm probably just going to do the 5-choice approach anyway and people who can't simply use whatever of those 5 options they like and ignore the others can stick with E's thread. I definitely don't feel the need to push everyone one way or the other, so both can co-exist if it's that big a point of contention.

I've created on online Excel doc and already have one person who's willing to help me update it. I can make it editable for anyone else who'd want to help out. Absolutely no pressure as you could simply use that to make sure all your votes are correct, add a few recent votes, add titles of upcoming films even before people have seen them (just to have them on the list, etc.) or help update whenever you have a couple spare minutes. In other words, I'd just give you access and you could help out as little or much as you want. It's easy since it saves changes instantly too.

As far as why "mixed" is a nice option - personally I'm 'mixed' on at least 1/4 of the films I see. Not meaning that I couldn't pick a side one way or the other in most cases, but that I don't feel strongly enough to have a 'yay' lumped in with someone elses 'yay' who thinks it's a masterpiece or to have a 'nay' grouped in with someone who thinks it's horrible shit.

It's also better for calculations - PRO's = 5, pro = 4, mixed = 3, con = 2, CON = 1. Add up the collective points, divide by 5 and voila, an accurate MC concensus rating that accounts equally for love, hate and sheer indifference.

Still tweaks to work out, but should have it ready to go towards the end of the week.

- - - - -
    Derek, you've obviously put some thought into this so I don't want to belittle your contributions.

But maybe take a step back & ask Ezee what he wants to do? It seems like that thread is his "baby" & he's put no small amount of work maintaining it.

I kinda hate the idea that he might be voted out of a job without having had any significant impact on the process.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I'm fine with the mixed option, that's where about two-thirds of my mild-affixed yay/nays belong.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Derek, you've obviously put some thought into this so I don't want to belittle your contributions.

But maybe take a step back & ask Ezee what he wants to do? It seems like that thread is his "baby" & he's put no small amount of work maintaining it.

I kinda hate the idea that he might be voted out of a job without having had any significant impact on the process.
    Like I said, both can still continue to exist and if people who feel strongly against having a mixed, PRO and/or CON option want to keep using E's thread, I'm perfectly cool with that. I also think it's the most egalitarian way of pleasing everyone as you can choose to use only 2 or 3 of the options and ignore the others while those of us who want all 5 can use them. People who disagree can stick with the yay/nay thread.

I like the 5-option way and believe it'll offer something that a 2-3 option consensus doesn't. I offered to help E out as much as he needed to make that happen and he said he doesn't want to go more than 3 because it's too much work. Again, that's fine and I totally understand, but it means the only way to have a consensus that a decent portion of MC think is a good idea is to start it myself. I already have offers from 2 other people for significant help, both on the updating and technical side, so it'll eventually be available for those who want to use it.

At this point, I see no reason to continue arguing over something that no one's going to budge on and that, to me, is kinda self-explanatory, so let's move on to other things...

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I've created on online Excel doc and already have one person who's willing to help me update it. I can make it editable for anyone else who'd want to help out.
    I'd be in on that. Love stats. Plus one of the disadvantages to the current system is that I see most films well into the year AFTER they were released, so I never get to add my vote to the consensus. I assume that this is a problem with many other people too - but an online database that can be kept and edited would continue to accumulate info even after all the awards stuff is done.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I would love to have the threads continue to be updated after the year is up also. I'm willing to help also. I have tons of freetime.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

So two threads?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    So two threads?
    So it would seem.

See which one gets the most traffic, and there's the answer to your poll question.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Can't you guys just work on this together in one thread? So that we can quickly make a post that says something like ...

Horrible Bosses - nay/con

Somebody take the first post and the other take the second post and you can edit at will.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Can't you guys just work on this together in one thread? So that we can quickly make a post that says something like ...

Horrible Bosses - nay/con

Somebody take the first post and the other take the second post and you can edit at will.
    Seems like the best of ideas.

Fairly sure the thread would get the more replies instead of the website. Just as Raiders mentioned with the unvisited wiki.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    I like the Metacritic way. Positive/Neutral/Negative.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast