Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A TV Show Is A Terrible Thing To Waste

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I promised more Moon Bloodgood.

6. Day Break

I actually watched this series just recently on Netflix. Another time travel show, this one is similar to Groundhog Day where the main character experiences the same day over and over again, but it has a little twist, in that if he is nice to someone the next go around they feel happier, if he's mean to someone they feel meaner and so on. So there's this great episode where he decides to cheat on his girlfriend and the next day he wakes up and she's like, "I feel like you're a lying cheating bastard."

This one aired in late 2006 and also starred Adam Baldwin having another show get cancelled. It only lasted 13 episodes but one of the nice things about it is the creator caught wind of the cancellation so he had enough time to pull together a really satisfying ending. Having the ending turns this show into an almost miniseries and it really flows well through it all.

Obviously as I've said before I love time travel and so this is no different but it's nice that they took the idea Groundhog day had and turned it into a TV show. I think it might still be on Netflix so check it out if you have a chance.

Heh they should just stop trying to make time travel shows. None of them since Quantum Leap have had any kind of success.

In the end I decided to leave Arrested Development off my list. It was easy mostly because I have only seen all of Season 1 and only some of Season 2, and besides its coming back anyways. Plus everyone knows about it regardless.

Hey we both hit #6. Wahoo.

6. Frisky Dingo

Man oh man was this one twisted Adult Swim show, lasting two funny yet crazy seasons and being the creation of the same people that have given you other great shows such as SeaLab 2021 and the hilarious Archer on FX. Really its quite fitting that I have another show featuring superheroes on this list, and it seems that superhero shows don't last very long, either. The Cape and Wonder Woman both failing come to mind, and of course Heroes burned out completely and faded away too. When people wonder why I find regular superheroes such as Superman and Batman boring, I point to shows like this, The Tick and Watchmen (graphic novel and movie) as to why, because these are shows/movies/etc. that depict superheroes as having problems people can actually relate to.

Yes they fight crime, but in this instance the main superhero is actually an entertaining and humorous moron, and the evil villain as having to deal with his weird son and his own set of endless problems. Well they do dial things up to insane heights, but they can get away with that since in the end it is really about superheroes. Also none of them are whinny or annoying like Spiderman in the Rami movies, either. Say what you will but you will never convince me that dude isn't emo.

Also this is another prime example of the second season being way stronger than the first. Having Killface and Awesome X run against each other for president during an actual election year was a stroke of genius, and I loved the satire present there. They even have a black president on the show, and the way the series ended has to be actually seen to be believed. There was supposed to be a spin-off titled The Xtacles, but that show probably would have sucked and its good that it failed.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Two episodes actually aired of the Xtacles but they got rid of why the Xtacles were good and gave them different faces and different voices completely ruining the anonymity that was so funny with them in the show.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    It only lasted 13 episodes but one of the nice things about it is the creator caught wind of the cancellation so he had enough time to pull together a really satisfying ending. Having the ending turns this show into an almost miniseries and it really flows well through it all.
    Was it not always going to be that way? I remember reading somewhere that the idea if they got a second season was to have a completely new story and a completely new guy repeating the same day.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Kings better be on this list.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Kings better be on this list.
    I can lie to you and say that its on my list....
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    6. Frisky Dingo
    Nice pick. Love that show.

[youtube]HB_IUtciAms[/youtube]

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Was it not always going to be that way? I remember reading somewhere that the idea if they got a second season was to have a completely new story and a completely new guy repeating the same day.
    Oh I haven't read that anywhere but if that is the case it would make sense. I am not as up to date on this show simply because I first watched it last year and didn't know it existed before I watched it.

Also in reply to Kings, I loved the first episode but didn't watch past it for no apparent reason. So no, it's not on here.

5. Mission Hill

In 1999 Mission Hill aired two episodes on the WB before going on hiatus. It returned the summer of 2000, aired four more episodes and was promptly canceled. The show was never able to see the light of day until after being cancelled appeared on Adult Swim where it did very well with the total of 13 episodes. It was yet another one of those immediate cancellations before the show had any time for anyone to watch it. I don't remember if I saw any of the episodes on the WB though it is possible, but I did watch all of the episodes when it reaired on Adult Swim and I fell in love.

It's a show about two brothers in an apartment together who also have a cool hippie chick roommate and a stoner fellow played by Brian Posehn. The show had a very interesting color scheme which almost over did it on the blues but they balanced it out by having some characters not fit the color scheme. It was a very odd choice but for the style of show it turned out to be it worked. What I mean by style of show is for a mainstream cartoon in 1999 it was actually decently edgy. They had next door neighbors who were a gay couple in their 60s, a Vietnam war vet and a film junkie, they were almost the odd couple as lovers.

It was quite a funny show and one I recently picked up on DVD. I remember in high school the character of Posey was one of my first cartoon crushes which does make sense since I crush hard on hippie chicks. Probably the most memorable episode was the spoof of MTV's The Real World in which the main character Andy becomes a part of the Real World until he realizes he's stuck and he needs to be freed from his torment.

I'm kind of hoping to see Wonderfalls. It gets underloved on MC.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm kind of hoping to see Wonderfalls. It gets underloved on MC.
    You know people, there's a reason those shows got canceled and also a reason why this thread exists :lol:

Although as I said in my initial post this thread can always be updated, re-opened, etc. I'm already planning a "Favorite Modern Shows" thread, which will be a sort of quasi-sequel to my "Favorite Shows" list that I finished here about two, maybe three years ago.

I saw some of Mission Hill on Adult Swim, and I really still don't know what to think of it. Weird comes to mind, quirky maybe.

Quote Quoting Derek
    Nice pick. Love that show.
    Thanks. Love that Tribute to Boosh clip you posted. Hilarious.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

7. The Drinky Crow Show

One of the strange things Adult Swim does is that they give shows a chance, and sometimes these shows only last one season for whatever reason or another. The Drinky Crow Show falls into that category, and actually I'll admit I never saw the last episode of the show's run, although I can't imagine it gave any type of closure or anything of the sort. Really though how the hell do you have closure with a show this twisted, random, and insane? You can't, so maybe that's the beauty of the whole thing, I guess. All I know is that the main two characters not only remind me of some folks I know who've had crazy misadventures (not as utterly outlandish as the ones on this show, mind you) but also of Dr. Gonzo and Raul Duke, those two misfits wrecking havoc upon the world.

Especially since Drinky Crow and his Uncle Gabby spend their entire time getting completely blitzed and then tearing ass around the countryside, doing who knows what and also doing other people. The animation on this show is incredibly unique, and I don't think I've really seen it elsewhere, although the show's tone and style are very much Aqua Teen Hunger Force, for example. Basically I'm highlighting this show instead of Arrested Development because Arrested Development is said to be coming back, and I think more people should check out this utterly magical, maniac journey into a fantasy land spawn from the dark nether regions of someone's twisted mind.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

4. Better Off Ted

This one is a bit of a cliche choice as I'm sure everyone here is familiar with this show at this point. But it's gotta go this high on my list considering I've watched the show all the way through about 4 or 5 times since it was cancelled in May of 2010. The show has a very unique brand of humor especially with the idea that the company all of the characters work for is pure evil. It turns it into a bit of a dark comedy making you love characters that ultimately create things which are harmful.

So perhaps I'll hit you with a couple of things about Better Off Ted you may not know, like how the series was created by Victor Fresco who previously created Andy Richter Controls the Universe and was nominated for an Emmy from his work on Mad About You. Did you know that Ted is played by Jay Harrington who speaking of cancelled shows appeared as the lead character Steve on the US version of Coupling, which even though it was pretty bad it had three other actors who have gone onto things. The character of Jeff was played by Christopher Moynihan who is on the decently funny Man Up. The character of Sally was played by Sonya Walger who we know as Penelope from Lost, and finally the character of Patrick was played by Colin Ferguson who we know as being the main character of Eureka.

Anyways, If you are one of the few who haven't watched Better Off Ted, it's a quick watch and very funny. It's currently available on Netflix Instant.

I'm rewatching Journeyman again thanks to this thread. Man, I'd forgotten how much I loved the theme song.

[youtube]viJqJqPZubA[/youtube]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So I watched the first seven episodes of Cowboy Bebop and I think it may not be up my alley. There's nothing wrong with it, but I don't feel any emotional connection to the characters and don't feel any particular urge to keep watching. Probably a perfectly good show, just not for me.

That opening credit sequence is killer, though.
    ...and the milk's in me.

No love for Ballad of Fallen Angels? That episode is near perfection as far as I'm concerned.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

No love for Ballad of Fallen Angels? That episode is near perfection as far as I'm concerned.
    I had a completely neutral reaction to it. I didn't dislike it. I just couldn't get involved.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Might be the best 30 minutes of television I've ever seen.

I had a completely neutral reaction to it. I didn't dislike it. I just couldn't get involved.
    No offense, but if that's the case then Cowboy Bebop just isn't your bag. Its okay, because in return for you at least giving it a shot I'm going to try and watch Better Off Ted since its on Netflix Instant Viewing and I feel guilty for reading your posts praising it all this time when I never gave it a chance.

Might be the best 30 minutes of television I've ever seen.
    Oh absolutely.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Its okay, because in return for you at least giving it a shot I'm going to try and watch Better Off Ted since its on Netflix Instant Viewing and I feel guilty for reading your posts praising it all this time when I never gave it a chance.
    It's not life-changing or anything, but it is very, very funny.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's not life-changing or anything, but it is very, very funny.
    I like funny. Sounds good to me.

8. Andy Richter Controls The Universe

Now I will admit I never saw the end of this show, although that could be due to Fox having completely given the show the shaft. In fact, until I did further research, I had completely forgotten that it had even lasted two seasons. Wow, Fox sure was generous In doing this list, and also looking at Thirdmango's as well, I've noticed that CW and Fox have a lot of shows on this list for some odd reason they continue this odd tradition of giving unique and different from the norm style TV shows a chance, then axing them when they (of course) fail to score huge ratings or find a wide audience. But I digress: this show made me laugh a lot, and was pretty entertaining. Andy Richter has always been funny, and it was cool that he at least got a show after leaving Conan's side for a while.

The main plot of this show isn't truly important, and its kind of basic. What works is the jokes, Andy and the cast's fairly good timing, and the fact that the show in some ways reminds me a bit of the American Office. Maybe its because it happens in office settings, or due to the fact that its brand of humor, although more odd ball than The Office, was kind of based on madcap happenings to Andy and the rest of the cast. I vaguely remember some of the guest stars, but this show was a bit too out there to gather a large audience, which is too bad. Netflix should really feature more shows like this one on Instant Viewing, if only so I can once again revisit it. I'm also reminded that Andy Richter had one more short lived show on NBC, although I never watched that one.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    4. Better Off Ted
    Yes! This was great. Endlessly rewatchable.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Hope there's some Sports Night love coming....

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    7. The Drinky Crow Show
    After I read a few of the comic strips this show was based on, I wanted to check out the show. But by the time I wanted to, it was cancelled. :frustrated:
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

8. Andy Richter Controls The Universe
    every fan of better off ted should watch this. i think it's just as good, if not better

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast