Thread: A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Even though 2012 is still young, if this doesn't end up as my favorite movie of the yeal, I'll be much surprised.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Any of you has seen his previous films ?
    I saw About Elly, his previous film (2009), with all the same cast, almost set in a same place during all the film, lots of dialog, again very well acted.
    I guess the ones who didn't like A Separation won't like About Elly.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Li Lili (view post)
    Any of you has seen his previous films ?
    I saw About Elly, his previous film (2009), with all the same cast, almost set in a same place during all the film, lots of dialog, again very well acted.
    I guess the ones who didn't like A Separation won't like About Elly.
    No but added to queue!!

edit: Errrr I guess not since Netflix doesn't have it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Taut, morally complex, superbly writted/acted blah blah blah. Came with perhaps unreasonably high expectations so I was left a little less affected than otherwise, but I'm sure a second viewing would benefit.

The only real misstep I felt was the sleight-of-hand regarding [
    ] Any reason to keep it a last-act revelation? Seemed a little too 'gotcha'.

StanleyK's claims of misogyny are bizarre.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    The only real misstep I felt was the sleight-of-hand regarding

[
    ]

Any reason to keep it a last-act revelation? Seemed a little too 'gotcha'.
    [
    ]

Yeah it's not so much an issue on reflection (hence I've added the extra 1/2 star to my rating). Just found the cut from dad across the road w/ Razier on the other side to the group of 'em playing foosball a little bumpy at the time (I, err, actually wondered for a second if I was watching a flashback during the latter scene).

Interesting tidbit from Sicinski's review:

To wit: in order to be selected as Iran’s submission for the Oscars, A Separation had to garner a recommendation from the nine-member Farabi Cinema Foundation, a para-governmental arts-and-culture administration. Anyone concerned about the nefarious double-dealings of the MPAA should check out the language on the Farabi website which, remember, reflects the Islamist apparatchiks at their most benign. Farabi describes itself as having saved Iranian cinema from the “mystic cinema” of “the first decade of the 80s” [sic], when “the dominating aspects of the films produced by Andrei Tarkovsky and Sergei Paradjanov” as well as “leftist revisionists” essentially crippled the glorious cinema of Iran. (Where Is the Friend’s Home? [1987]; The Cyclist [1987]; The Tenants [1986]; Canary Yellow [1988]. I think we all remember those dark days!) “Such films,” say the Farabis, “repelled the spectators mainly choosing cinema to spend one to two hours having fun.”

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No but added to queue!!

edit: Errrr I guess not since Netflix doesn't have it.
    argh! I think it got an award at the Berlinale, something like a Silver Bear, so maybe one day...