Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: ***Space Thread***

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It's apparently too cold (-10 to -30 celsius estimated) to sustain life though.
    Yes, currently.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    First Black Hole image live streamed here

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

SpaceX launch of the first commercial Falcon Heavy rocket is in about 8 hours from now. I really hope all three boosters stick the landing this time.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    SpaceX launch of the first commercial Falcon Heavy rocket is in about 8 hours from now. I really hope all three boosters stick the landing this time.
    I almost saw the launch on Sunday before it was pushed back.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Looks like the center core of the Heavy fell into the sea due to choppy sea...

Why did it take so long for them to drag it in?

It always takes a while, but the Heavy covers a larger distance so the landing on the ship happens waaay further from the shore than usual.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Doesn't this shot kinda blow your mind when you look at the sky as a flat thing?

Super convincing

50 yrs ago Apollo 13 launched.

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Launch of crew dragon aborted due to bad weather. Saturday a new attempt.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Launch of crew dragon aborted due to bad weather. Saturday a new attempt.
    I wish I knew why they literally couldn't wait 10 minutes until the weather cleared, which they indicated it would have. I'm sure there's a good reason that has to do with math and physics; I just don't get it.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I wish I knew why they literally couldn't wait 10 minutes until the weather cleared, which they indicated it would have. I'm sure there's a good reason that has to do with math and physics; I just don't get it.
    Humidity in the air creates more friction around the craft, thus more heat, thus more dangerous.

Simply put, they have to launch within seconds inside an extremely narrow window to be on the proper trajectory to reach the International Space Station. Ten minutes late would make a colossal difference, meaning that if they launched using set parameters, the Station would be nowhere near their position once they reach orbit.

So the Crew Dragon came back, splashed down near Pensacola. And among the first to approach the craft were a bunch of small private boats, including one with a Trump flag. Way to stay on brand, Florida.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Some Israeli space scientiest dude claims that several governments across the globe have been in contact with a "galactic federation" of aliens for some time now.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Some Israeli space scientiest dude claims that several governments across the globe have been in contact with a "galactic federation" of aliens for some time now.
    Aliens: Look ya'll, do something about Murica or we are never talking to you

SpaceX just pulled off an insane test with their Starship prototype.

I love how all the media is like "RIP SN8! Starship prototype explodes while trying to land" while the test was a complete success. The bloody thing only lost pressure in the auxiliary tank right at the landing, otherwise the whole crazy maneuver worked like a charm the first time it was tried. It even hit the bullseye upon landing, even though it ended in Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

Last edited by [ETM]; 12-09-2020 at 11:24 PM.

I don't think all the media is being like that, though admittedly I consume very little media. Read a couple stories; they seemed balanced.

I think it's remarkable that SpaceX broadcasts what are essentially development test flights. They are willing to share both their successes and failures and to celebrate them both (there's a compilation video on SpaceX's official youtube channel of their repeated failures to land rocket boosters that's been viewed over 24 million times). Even Falcon Heavy's inspiring mission that everyone viewed as a rousing success failed to land its center booster.

Maybe it isn't all that remarkable. Maybe they don't do it because they want to inspire people. Maybe they do it because Elon Musk is a glory whore who wants attention. But I'm choosing to see it from my perspective which is that, whether their intentions are pure or not - I am inspired. This is the first time I've had access to the progress of a company that seems to understand they are on the cutting edge of aerospace exploration and technology, and riding that edge requires you fail over and over and over again until you get it right.

The amount of engineering and math that is needed for such a thing breaks my brain.

I know some of the media is balanced, but so, so many have no clue what happened. I've seen some put a disclaimer that "no human was on board".

As for why the broadcast: there is SO MUCH INTEREST. There are whole YouTube channels dedicated entirely to chronicling the Starship development and posting daily minutiae online. Mary Pointer is an Air Force veteran who lives in the village right next to the complex and she takes her photo equipment out every morning before sunrise and shoots photos and video of everything that goes on for thousands of enthusiasts to dissect online every day. She is associated with the channel Nasa Space Flight and they are so well supported by donations that they hire a plane weekly to shoot aerial views and they had like five different automated cameras on site following the launch. Those guys were online, keeping the chat and the live stream going, every single day there was the possibility of the test happening, from the start to the end of the launch window. They had almost as many viewers on their stream as SpaceX did.

I am severely disappointment in Musk as a human being and most of what he does since he became a billionaire, but the renewed excitement when it comes to space research and technology is one of the few things keeping many of us going in 2020.

Guys. This looks straight out of the Expanse, especially towards the landing. This is incredible.

Between that and Microsoft Mesh, we're getting closer to the 1950s' idea of what 2020 would be like!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast