Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Space Thread***

***Space Thread***

Don't know if it's worth a thread but why not ?
    When I was a child I wanted to be an astronaut and with a friend we drew sketches imagining our spaceship and made stories out of it.

I'm not a scientist, something I wish I studied more science, I'm mostly ignorant. However, I love looking at amazing pictures of stars, asteroids, new planets and so on... Kind of made me dream again...

Anyway, this summer I read an article about the discorevy of new planet orbiting two suns, which presents double sunset... doesn't make you remember of something...
    Well, unlike of Star Wars’ Tatooine, the planet is cold, gaseous and not with possible life.

see 2 videos of the planet here on NASA site

A picture I've just looked today, which I found really beautiful :

Asteroid Lutetia. Some parts of its surface are around 3.6 billion years old. (information can be read here)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    i love space discussions... but i dont like trying to comprehend the size of our universe. To help me convey this point, I bring you my favorite youtube video.

[youtube]mcBV-cXVWFw[/youtube]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Don't know why but the video made me remember of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... :P

Russian Mars probe stuck in Earth's orbit after engines fail to fire
    Spacecraft was to visit Martian moon of Phobos and bring back soil sample but looks like joining list of failed red planet missions

read more here

The probe’s plan was to circle Mars for a few months and then land on Phobos to take samples of a couple hundred grams of soil and finally return to Earth in 2014.
    It's also carrying China’s Yinghuo-1 satellite and a load of micro-organisms in order to examine how they could survive in the pressures of space.

Phobos (Fear in Greek), discovered in 1877, and whose origin is still unknown, is one of Mars moons (the other one, being Deimos). At a distance of 5826 miles (9380 km) from Mars, it takes a bit more than 7 hours to orbit Mars.

Here's that thread I was trying find last week. After playing through Mass Effect 2, I was just web surfing... and was blown away by this graphic. Crazy stuff

[]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wow, the picture is so big!
    Actually, there are some amazing pictures about Earth taken from space...
    http://www.spaceimages.com/earth.html
    http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/

There's nothing like recording a super nova over a decade

Also

Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Is this the 2040 one?

Edit: No. There's one thats double that size that's supposed to hit us in 2040. Now, 150 feet doesn't seem that big to me, but a nuclear blast? Hopefully it hits in the Siberia .

Director
    The SpaceX rocket took off this morning and barring a catastrophe will be the first non-governmental spacecraft to dock with the ISS. SpaceX was started about 10 years ago by the co-founder of PayPal and Tesla Motors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/sc...e-station.html

This article was confusing as they stated that was "unmanned" but that NYtimes article says they were astronauts on board.

edit: shit it is unmanned. duh.

I still don't get how space is infinite. In fact, I don't think it is. I'm sure that if you were to travel from one end of the galaxy to another, you'd run into a wall Truman Show-style.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I still don't get how space is infinite. In fact, I don't think it is. I'm sure that if you were to travel from one end of the galaxy to another, you'd run into a wall Truman Show-style.
    By "galaxy" I assume you mean "universe." Considering that space is rapidly expanding and the current edge of the observable universe is about 47 billion light years away, does it really matter if you can comprehend it being infinite?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Please see post number 5. I will never wrap my head around this. It's too mind boggling.

Awesome work by NASA this morning. If the last two rovers were active for 6 years on Solar, I hope the nuclear power source on this new one doubles the life span.

Can you imagine this thing working until 2024??

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I believe Curiosity is only scheduled to be active on Mars for approximately two years. Its job is far more important than other rovers, as it will be taking samples of soil and rock from the layers of a crater impact to determine if the planet was ever able to sustain life.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I believe Curiosity is only scheduled to be active on Mars for approximately two years. Its job is far more important than other rovers, as it will be taking samples of soil and rock from the layers of a crater impact to determine if the planet was ever able to sustain life.
    Yes and Spirit and Opportunity were only supposed to be 90 day missions and they lasted 6 years.

It is also specifically designed to survive at least one Martian winter, which the previous rovers weren't. However, Curiosity is not solar powered - it has a nuclear power source that replenishes two Li-Ion batteries, and I'm not certain how long that was designed to last.

Yeh tha'ts crazy. How the fuck were they able to take a picture of that? Boggles my brain.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh tha'ts crazy. How the fuck were they able to take a picture of that? Boggles my brain.
    Why?

Yeah, I read about it today, it's cool!
    I remember reading about Curiosity and its launch about 9 months ago... Unfortunately, almost at the same time, Phobos's launch failed.

There are some good pictures and videos on the nasa site.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms...dexEvents.html

a video

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast