Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The number8 really hates cops thread

I think it speaks to how deeply it goes that we do (or I do at least) experience some fear of reprisal for talking out of turn and/or criticizing our institutions. Once in a while I post this kind of stuff (about cops abusing power etc) on facebook and it honestly makes me a little nervous that perhaps I'm painting a target on my back for the executive branch.

Or maybe it's just paranoia.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Someone saying that would anger me far less than if they say, "You would do the same thing if you were a cop."
    Good point. That would send me over the edge. I guess I just get annoyed by people's own lack of faith in themselves at times. If you really believe that about yourself, then do you also steal any time you know you'll get away with it? Do you take advantage of someone emotionally for your own gain if they are not mature enough to handle it?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't know what the problem is. How many times have you seen a cop speed on the highway going 80-90 MPH and everyone gets out of their way? We don't know what their business is. It may not be an emergency. It may be something important. I don't have a problem with them using their power to go faster than most people.

You guys are silly to use the rape and shoplifting analogy.
    I think what people are saying is that they should only use the power to speed when they absolutely have to. It's like using deadly force in a war zone. Only push the moral boundaries when it's absolutely required.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Glass Co. (view post)
    Good point. That would send me over the edge. I guess I just get annoyed by people's own lack of faith in themselves at times. If you really believe that about yourself, then do you also steal any time you know you'll get away with it? Do you take advantage of someone emotionally for your own gain if they are not mature enough to handle it?
    Do you like to drive fast?

Stop making up scenarios and think about something you enjoy doing right now, rather than some made up stereotypical hyperbole.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I think what people are saying is that they should only use the power to speed when they absolutely have to. It's like using deadly force in a war zone. Only push the moral boundaries when it's absolutely required.
    Well I don't think those analogies work at all. Everyone (ok I'll correct myself before this sentence gets raped)... Most people like to drive fast, at least here in MA. Imagine you had the power, to drive fast and not have to worry about looking in your rear view mirror? Would you do it? FUCK YES I'd do it. I'm not saying I'd weave in and out of traffic like a douche. I'm saying I would consistently drive 80-90 MPH on open highways, in a car I don’t own, with an excuse that gives me the right to do it, without needing to have sirens on.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I don't know what the problem is. How many times have you seen a cop speed on the highway going 80-90 MPH and everyone gets out of their way? We don't know what their business is. It may not be an emergency. It may be something important. I don't have a problem with them using their power to go faster than most people.

You guys are silly to use the rape and shoplifting analogy.
    You were saying something about silly analogies?

The examples in this thread quite clearly state that the cops in these instances were either not signalling, using their sirens to run lights and then turning them off immediately afterward and so forth. In what world would these be used to "serve and protect"? Does it make the officers less stressed not having to worry about basic road rules and thus better able to keeper a calmer head in their job? That is about the only argument I can think of, and it's a terrible one.

Can't say I've ever seen police cars drive above the speed limit without lights/sirens. If anything, they sure like the power of having everyone slow down to the actual speed limit (maybe 2-3 less even) and they cruise down, making everyone nervous.

I have seen them go through red lights with it (also illegal to do).

I actually do not like driving the ambulance. Would much rather be in the back with the patient. When driving emergent, I'm amazed at how people will veer into the left lane (my lane), instead of heading right. Or those in my lane will simply stop completely. Then there's the intersetions which are a whole other deal. We use the red light as a stop sign essentially, but when we do go to a stop, that confuses the drivers and they start to advance... Ugh...

And highway driving emergent.... Gross. Keep in mind, I have to drive extremely steady in the back for my Paramedic who's pacing around back there and/or trying to do an IV.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

We don't know what their business is. It may not be an emergency. It may be something important.
    We trust that it is an emergency. Siren and speeding = urgency. When you see a cop do it just to get through a stop sign, that trust evaporates. They become opportunists then. And that's the last kind of person you want in a position of legal authority.

Slippery slope, I know, but it's the hubris. Plus, Qrazy's story. And E's assurance. They should abide by the laws they enforce.

[youtube]hBHOTK4sQPY[/youtube]

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/0...s-driving.html

Listen to what she said at the end of the video.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I actually do not like driving the ambulance. Would much rather be in the back with the patient. When driving emergent, I'm amazed at how people will veer into the left lane (my lane), instead of heading right. Or those in my lane will simply stop completely. Then there's the intersetions which are a whole other deal. We use the red light as a stop sign essentially, but when we do go to a stop, that confuses the drivers and they start to advance... Ugh...
    I went to traffic school (speeding ticket) and saw a video from the point of view of an ambulance. It was revelatory. Now whenever I witness emergency runs, it's impossible NOT to see just how poorly drivers handle the situation.

Do you like to drive fast?

Stop making up scenarios and think about something you enjoy doing right now, rather than some made up stereotypical hyperbole.
    Okay. I enjoy playing music very loudly. Say I am a landlord that lives with my tenants, and they have already signed a twelve month lease. I live on my own floor and have my own exit, so I don't have to have any interaction with any of them if I don't want to or unless a situation comes up where I am forced to meet (say there is a disagreement over something).

Now, since I am not friends with these people and have as little contact as possible, I could blare my awesome new stereo system whenever I wanted. Hell, they've signed their lease, and there was nothing stated about noise in this lease on my end. The best they can do is come complain, and I don't really have to listen to them nor care. Now, I am not going to crank House music at random hours of the day, even though there is nothing stopping me aside from my own will to not be a douchebag.

[youtube]hBHOTK4sQPY[/youtube]

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/0...s-driving.html

Listen to what she said at the end of the video.
    Quite amazing really.

One, do the State Troopers not have Radio Communication with Miami PD? All PD/FD in my area are able to talk to each other through radio communication.

Two - Why is the Miami PD officer driving a PD Vehicle off-duty? This should absolutely not be happening. And he's in uniform on top of that. Ridiculous.

Three - I was curious why the gun was drawn. She thought it was stolen. Um... Dispatch should be notifying you of that when you report the license number, but I kind of understand that.

Four - The Miami PD Officer IS correct in that she's being excessive in handcuffing a cooperative person.

Five - The Miami PD Officer is weaving in and out of traffic at those high speeds. Simply unbelievable. I've never seen that personally, and my city's PD would be in uproar about that.

There's opportunities all around. Wow.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, guys! Cops should be allowed to break the law because HEY, THEY LIKE TO and HEY, WHY NOT?

:|
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Duke, do you not believe that the speed of your driving affects the danger you pose to yourself and others?

I think that video perfectly shows the incredible arrogance of it all. That cop was SHOCKED that another cop would pull him over for speeding. I didn't stop because I didn't think you meant me! ME?! But -- But I'm a police officer too! I commend that highway patrol officer for the line, "To me right now, you are a criminal."

It's a sickness. These thugs are convinced that because they have a badge, then they're always on the side of the law, and that gives them the privilege of making it work to their convenience, and no one would DARE to call them out on it. Look at the rhetoric that the NYPD are throwing at the ticket-fixing scandal. They're calling the prosecutors "pieces of shit." Why? For uncovering a grossly criminal activity? No, it's for daring to uphold cops to law and order when clearly it should be no big deal if cops want to use their power to make their lives a little easier.

And you know what? It starts with Duke's mentality of "If I'm allowed to do it, then fuck yes, I'm going to do it." Because that implies that your only motivation for following laws is because you think you're going to get caught. When you're a cop and you feel invincible from (at the very least traffic) laws, then what the hey, bend a few more?

What about the times when cops are drunk driving, or slap their wives, and all they have to do is flash a badge and promise that they're sorry and the other cops only give them a slap on the wrist?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Well I don't think those analogies work at all. Everyone (ok I'll correct myself before this sentence gets raped)... Most people like to drive fast, at least here in MA. Imagine you had the power, to drive fast and not have to worry about looking in your rear view mirror? Would you do it? FUCK YES I'd do it. I'm not saying I'd weave in and out of traffic like a douche. I'm saying I would consistently drive 80-90 MPH on open highways, in a car I don’t own, with an excuse that gives me the right to do it, without needing to have sirens on.
    If you are a cop and doing it on your off hours then you should be held accountable. If you are a cop and doing it on your on hours for no other reason than that you want to then you should try to be as safe as possible.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quite amazing really.

One, do the State Troopers not have Radio Communication with Miami PD? All PD/FD in my area are able to talk to each other through radio communication.

Two - Why is the Miami PD officer driving a PD Vehicle off-duty? This should absolutely not be happening. And he's in uniform on top of that. Ridiculous.

Three - I was curious why the gun was drawn. She thought it was stolen. Um... Dispatch should be notifying you of that when you report the license number, but I kind of understand that.

Four - The Miami PD Officer IS correct in that she's being excessive in handcuffing a cooperative person.

Five - The Miami PD Officer is weaving in and out of traffic at those high speeds. Simply unbelievable. I've never seen that personally, and my city's PD would be in uproar about that.

There's opportunities all around. Wow.
    He was driving 120 mph and weaving in and out, and it's night time. It was probably impossible for her to read the plate. I assume this is what she meant when she said the Miami PD cars do this all the time and they could never catch them.

And really, some guy refusing to pull over for four minutes? I think she had every reason not to give the guy any benefit of the doubt.
    Movie Theater Diary

In my opinion, cops should be held to a higher standard of the law than regular citizens.

Why should citizens feel that the laws are just and should be followed if the police enforcing them feel they're not worthy of their own attention?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

He was driving 120 mph and weaving in and out, and it's night time. It was probably impossible for her to read the plate. I assume this is what she meant when she said the Miami PD cars do this all the time and they could never catch them.

And really, some guy refusing to pull over for four minutes? I think she had every reason not to give the guy any benefit of the doubt.
    Once pulled over, the cop reads the plate to Dispatch, and Dispatch looks up the info. That's standard procedure. Driving while reading the plate is well... unsafe, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In a way, I could understand why an officer would be confused if another officer is pulling them over. But if the following is for over four minutes... Well...

Which is also why I ask about radio communication. Lots of questions there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    In a way, I could understand why an officer would be confused if another officer is pulling them over. But if the following is for over four minutes... Well...

Which is also why I ask about radio communication. Lots of questions there.
    I'm pretty sure in a high speed chase, which this was, the officer isn't required to run the plates when they finally get the car to stop. Generally they jump out with guns drawn to quickly subdue the suspect.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I'm pretty sure in a high speed chase, which this was, the officer isn't required to run the plates when they finally get the car to stop. Generally they jump out with guns drawn to quickly subdue the suspect.
    Fair point.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That's true. I didn't think of that. They generally jump the fuck out of the vehicle and start running on foot once the car stops.
    Movie Theater Diary

Look I don't hate the police, but so many cops make it really easy to hate the police. I'm sure in many cities Internal Affairs has their hands busy.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So the lawsuit is finally starting in the Jose Guerena case. 14 defendants named.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/11/03/41176.htm

If you didn't hear about this horrible incident earlier this year, here is the Wiki page about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Guerena_shooting

To summarize: SWAT team looking for an alleged pot dealer entered the wrong guy's home (his Marine brother), failed to identify themselves properly, saw the Marine holding his rifle, and fired over 70 shots into the house, 20 of them hitting and killing him. His wife and 4-year-old kid were inside the house, hiding in a closet (they all thought it was a home invasion, not cops). Sheriff Department kept changing their stories over what happened, and they were all cleared of wrongdoing a month later after the obligatory bullshit investigation. Turns out the whole thing was because the warrant messed up, so when that got out and the press started asking to see it, the Sheriff requested a Judge to seal it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast