Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The number8 really hates cops thread

The number8 really hates cops thread

I post so many "look at these fucking cops" news articles on the News thread that I figured it might be better to have its own thread. Easier to keep a tally on things, too, without having to wade through other news topics.

So here are articles just from the past week.

- Google continually refuses requests from law enforcement to remove police brutality videos from YouTube.

http://www.google.com/transparencyre...EMOVAL_REQUEST

- 16 NYPD cops arraigned for fixing tickets. Hundreds of cops stage rally to argue that cops shouldn't have to obey traffic laws as a "professional privilege." This has been pretty big news locally for the past few weeks.

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/29/cops...cu.php#photo-1

- NYPD covered up severe beating of a 50-year-old man as a favor to a cop who's best pals with the attacker.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...ticle-1.970938

- 21 year old girl in custody for 36 hours by NYPD officer because she forgot her wallet in her hotel and didn't have an ID with her. Other cops gossip about how what an awful thing it was, but didn't do shit to correct it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/ny...crimes.html?hp

- One of eight NYPD narcotics detectives charged with planting drugs on random innocent people to boost quotas and earn overtime (THE NUMBERS GAME!) convicted on Tuesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...ticle-1.970874

- Twin Rivers, CA police association sells t-shirt that depicts a child behind bars and says, "U Raise 'Em, We Cage 'Em."

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/31/402...puts-twin.html

- Spokane, WA cop finally convicted five years after beating a schizophrenic man to death. Homicide detectives from his department falsified witness reports to cover it up, which led to the FBI's involvement.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...zehm-decision/

- Cop mistakes a dude lying prone on the grass' cellphone for a gun, shoots at him SIXTEEN TIMES, killing him, while caught on video. Chicago PD rules it a justified shooting anyway.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...489,full.story

- Colorado cops use mace and rubber bullets on Occupy Denver protesters.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...testers/44320/

http://www.tannerspendley.com/occupydenver#hf56ca41

- I'm sure you've all heard about Scott Olsen, the Marine Iraq vet who had a teargas launcher fired directly at his head from 10 feet away that gave him brain damage, while police threw flashbang at the people trying to tend to his injuries. Oakland police is under investigation for this crime.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...?newsfeed=true

- Oops, they gassed protesters again last night anyway! From the livestream, it appears that they've learned their lesson and started taping up their badges so they can't be identified.

http://news.yahoo.com/occupy-oakland...101824932.html
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I wonder when we'll see the actual "good cops" Occupy movement, because there just has to be someone just doing their job out there who is constantly hated on because of these people...

I know one of the Denver PD ones. I should find some of the stuff that isn't on the news from the protesters. Signs that had cops in target signals, rewards for various cop beatings (cop killing also on there), etc.

With that, let me type my own story of "hates these cops" in a sec.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I didn't know 8 and Barty were the same person.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'd like to point out that I don't usually post stories about "one bad apple" cops. One thing in common in those articles I posted is that they're all either institutional problems, or a case of the entire department protecting the "bad apple" instead of firing them.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'd like to point out that I don't usually post stories about "one bad apple" cops. One thing in common in those articles I posted is that they're all either institutional problems, or a case of the entire department protecting the "bad apple" instead of firing them.
    Don't really see an issue with the Denver one. They've done a lot since last year in which you could find a bounty of articles on their awful treatment and tactics. My brother being a victim of one of them.

Although that could stem off from two years ago in which a gang had started doing acts of violence in the most crowded areas of Denver as a way of initiation. None of this hit the news because Mayor Hickenlooper didn't want people to be afraid of going out downtown. As a result, the cops had to be more violent, but unfortunately, too violent.

Last week was justified. Heck, one of them was knocked off a motorcycle by a protestor before things got unruly.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

While the severity of those articles is real and depressing, one of my bigger police-related peeves (because it relates directly to me, someone fortunate enough to never have had to experience a traumatizing police situation) is from that second article, about traffic laws. I HATE it when I see cops flagrantly disobeying traffic laws. Like when they don't want to stop at a red light, so they turn on their sirens for just a brief second while they cross.

It's comparatively insignificant to real personal damages, but it relates to a larger attitude of hubris that is poisonous.

I avoided the term on purpose, it's clear from the linked stories that it's institutional. I just feel that there's a huge number of good people and departments out there, and they're silent.

Like the old saying goes, 99% of cops give the rest a bad name.

Jokes aside, the silence is part of the problem and the reason why it's institutional. The culture of the police creates this sense of brotherhood and solidarity among them where you're expected to have each other's backs, which is infamously called The Blue Wall. I believe that that wall is the rotten core that allows the bad cops to continue doing what they're doing, believing that they'll be protected by their brethren.

Fundamentally, I think one of the main problems is that most cops see being a cop as a way to make a living instead of a public service, so doing the right thing becomes less important than keeping the job or having a comfortable work environment.
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't care that police go through red lights with their sirens on. I don't even mind this. (ignore the moron commentary) - That's the stuff that comes with the job. The stuff listed in the first post are mistakes, and should be punishable.

[youtube]ELZQ-Z6lASI[/youtube]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't care that police go through red lights with their sirens on. I don't even mind this. (ignore the moron commentary) - That's the stuff that comes with the job.
    Absolutely, categorically not. It is hubris and an abuse of public trust.

...Why the hell does that come with the job?
    Movie Theater Diary

It's a perk. They get to drive fast on the highway. So let them.

They should also be allowed to shoplift and occasionally rape people. But only occasionally.

They also get to taze people. I don't understand your logic.

Why do they get a perk? For what?
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    If it isn't dangerous when they do it (which it must not be if it should be OK), then why is it when I do it?

Are you really OK with the police getting away with illegal activity?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    While the severity of those articles is real and depressing, one of my bigger police-related peeves (because it relates directly to me, someone fortunate enough to never have had to experience a traumatizing police situation) is from that second article, about traffic laws. I HATE it when I see cops flagrantly disobeying traffic laws. Like when they don't want to stop at a red light, so they turn on their sirens for just a brief second while they cross.

It's comparatively insignificant to real personal damages, but it relates to a larger attitude of hubris that is poisonous.
    The best friend of my cousin growing up was run over and killed because a cop did this. Oh, except they didn't turn on their siren.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

There are pretty strict driving laws for police. If they are caught speeding through a red light or driving recklessly, they should be immediately reported.

Problem is, can't write down that license number...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Apparently not in the NYPD.

Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    The best friend of my cousin growing up was run over and killed because a cop did this. Oh, except they didn't turn on their siren.
    Exactly. Thinking about traffic laws as just a nuisance leads to recklessness. Speeding and running the red light increases the chance of accidents, PERIOD. It makes no difference if you're a cop or not.

Ha. There's specific trainings on it. Since I drive an ambulance, I get to be part of it, and it's pretty well stated that we are also at risk, and must follow driving laws or face potential repercussions. Oh well.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Like the old saying goes, 99% of cops give the rest a bad name.

Jokes aside, the silence is part of the problem and the reason why it's institutional. The culture of the police creates this sense of brotherhood and solidarity among them where you're expected to have each other's backs, which is infamously called The Blue Wall. I believe that that wall is the rotten core that allows the bad cops to continue doing what they're doing, believing that they'll be protected by their brethren.
    It's interesting how closely it resembles the "no snitching" unspoken rule of gangs and criminal enterprises.

And as much as we are poking fun at Duke (and rightly so) I think that sort of view is very highly held in society. People don't want to get involved with the cops. Partially because of fear of reaction from the police (especially among the white middle class who are most left in peace and not harassed), partially because of the naive belief that abuse of power is simply what happens in society and the status quo should not be messed with, and partially because of the idea that "oh, I would do the same thing in that sort of position." This last one in particular really disgusts me, but I've heard it vocalized.

Quote Quoting Glass Co. (view post)
    the idea that "oh, I would do the same thing in that sort of position." This last one in particular really disgusts me, but I've heard it vocalized.
    Someone saying that would anger me far less than if they say, "You would do the same thing if you were a cop."
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't know what the problem is. How many times have you seen a cop speed on the highway going 80-90 MPH and everyone gets out of their way? We don't know what their business is. It may not be an emergency. It may be something important. I don't have a problem with them using their power to go faster than most people.

You guys are silly to use the rape and shoplifting analogy.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast