Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story

I was a little caught off guard when the show used the theme from Bram Stoker's Dracula during flashback scenes to the guy who originally built the house.

Also the whistling song during Tate's flashbacks is familiar but I can't place it. Kill Bill?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

From the movie Twisted Nerve.

Kill Bill used it too, but the way it's used on the show is an obvious reference to this movie. They even gave Tate a similar haircut.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's a surprisingly beautiful show - very well shot.

Lots of memorable imagery.

Jen and I are having bets on who is actually "real" in the show (as in, who are real, living people, and who are manifestations in/of the house).

And the girl who plays Adelaide is very good. One of the highlights of the show.

This show unabashedly borrows and rips from previous sources but never feels stale or tried. Maybe it's just my rose tinted glasses for it. The exorcism tonight has been done countless times, even a handful of times in the recent years, but it was tense and served its story better than most films manage in 90 minutes.

While I think it could have been proof-read and reworked a bit in the writing stage to iron out some major logic inconsistencies, season 1 was by and large pretty fantastic stuff.

Problems with inconsistent logic and "rules" of the house grow larger in hindsight, and I'm still left feeling that the scripts could have been looked at a bit more before shooting.

It all felt a lot like they were writing as they went along, never looking back and just hoping their memories served them well.

It was still a bloody fantastic show, incredible performances from most everyone, but it could have been something truly incredible if they had ironed out a few wrinkles.

Like what, Meg? I don't remember details of S1 too well, but I might once I hear what you mean.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Like what, Meg? I don't remember details of S1 too well, but I might once I hear what you mean.

For example...

[
    ]

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    For example...

[
    ]
    Right, right. The only counterargument I can propose from my memory is...

[
    ]

Right, right. The only counterargument I can propose from my memory is...

[
    ]

That's true, but that also introduces some semblance of "control", which I thought the show was very much against - these people, "spirits", have absolutely no control over their being there in the house.

If he can decide to leave, that goes against a strong prevalent theme in the show, of people having no control over the events in their lives and where they end up because of these events.

EDIT: Another thing that bothered me greatly was...

[
    ]

I can watch Jessica Lange and James Cromwell argue all fucking day.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

lol Anne Frank. This show is fucking awesome bananas.
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Not to mention the stellar, continued insanity for all things James Cromwell. I was even stunned at how the show managed to hire such a spitting image of him for the potential young version of his character in the Nazi flashback.

Of course, in the credits I see that actor's name was John Cromwell. His son. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less of a shock.

Either way, this show is just fucking ludicrous, and I'm loving every minute.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Yet another crazy episode. Loved the last ten minutes, even though the whole episode was pretty damn good.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This show.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Curious as to what Bloodyface's motives are.

Curious as to what Bloodyface's motives are.
    Furnishing.
    Movie Theater Diary

Haven't popped in to mention how much I'm loving this season in a while. So yeah... Still am!

I almost wish that they'd been more vague with who McDermott's Bloody Face actually thinks he's the son of and developed a mystery of us not yet knowing amongst the 1964 drama if Walker or Thredson ended up having the charges put on them.

After the two pregnancies were revealed, I even watched the opening scene over again to make sure it wasn't just my own story knowledge filling in blanks, but 2012 Bloody Face clearly says he's Thredson's son, so not sure how they could still have a dueling possibilities. Oh well, it's not like there isn't anything else tantalizing happening at any given moment in this weekly dose of hysteria.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Well. . .that's one way to come back after a two-week break.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Well. . .that's one way to come back after a two-week break.
    Umm, yeah. I wish I liked the musical break more. I liked the premise, but I actually wish Lange was more over the top. She kind of ho-hummed her way through it like she forgot to switch character from her boozy lounge singer. And then...[
    ]

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm finally caught up so I can now enter this thread! Loved the last couple episodes.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

That episode was fantastic.

Well, a step down from last year, but the last few episodes of the season were a peak. This season's story just didn't stay tight. There were too many irrelevant side stories and characters that never paid off -- the aliens, the experimental creatures, the Nazi doctor, and even the possessed nun was anticlimactic. Sarah Paulson really got my attention during the final swing of episodes, and Jessica Lange brought more pathos to her character than the show warranted. Her final scene with the kids really struck me, and their bond was only established minutes before. I'm glad the show managed to pull itself (mostly) out of that midseason hole. I'm still a big fan and look forward to next year.

"Spilt Milk" was the standout ep.

I gotta completely disagree about this being the weaker season. There were points last year where I almost didn't stick with it, and not even entirely due to my confusion as to how they were going to continue it for years to come.

Asylum, on the other hand, was one of the shows I've looked forward to most week-to-week for these past few months. Only a couple of times did I let a few episodes pass because I was too busy with other things, but even then, watching some in back-to-back blocks gave the show's claustrophobic, doom-ridden atmosphere an even more consuming and resonating feel.

Sure, a bunch of its dangling, ridiculously ballsy plot threads didn't really seem to find ways of connecting to a larger arc by the end, but that doesn't mean that it detracted from the overall, thrillingly insane journey for me.

I can't wait to see what they do next year, but I might just watch this all over again before then.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

This show lost me 3/4 into the season, but what a finale. Tremendously written (Tim Mineaaaar yo) and acted. Scary, touching and satisfyingly absurd. I think as soon as they killed off the Satan storyline and went back to be about Bloody Face, the season found its legs again.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast