Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Much Ado About Nothing (Whedon)

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Sure you do. Doc from Firefly... Kellerman from Homicide... agent Coulson from the Marvel movies...
    Hmmm ... haven't seen the first two. I saw Iron Man and Thor, but I confess that I don't really remember that character very well.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I want someone to make a proper film version of Measure for Measure.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I want someone to make a proper film version of Measure for Measure.
    Apparently, it should be Neil Labute.

I don't think I would support that choice anymore. :lol:
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Apparently, it should be Neil Labute.

I don't think I would support that choice anymore. :lol:
    Nicholas Cage as Angelo!

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Shenanigans? We're to believe he simultaneously finished principal photography on a separate film while doing post on The Avengers? Google turns up nothing on this so-called "Bellwether Pictures". I'm calling hoax or inconsequential short right now.
    If it's a joke (and I could totally see Whedon & his gang pulling this), it's a pretty clever joke.

Right now I'm with you. I have a little trouble believing they shot even a fraction of the play in the same amount of time it took to produce Dr Horrible.

2 weeks, so twice the amount of time, and all in one location, which is Whedon's own house. It's a way easier shoot than Dr. Horrible.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's a way easier shoot than Dr. Horrible.
    Except that:

This is Shakespeare, not musical theater. Granted, more accessible Shakespeare but still... Shakespeare.

This isn't a classically trained cast with wide theater backgrounds. (If they actually did this, then it's a good bet a week+ was spent on rehearsals).

The original play runs ~3 hours. Horrible was 40 minutes.

Both of them were shot on a single location. (Horrible was done on a borrowed backlot).

Given the play's length (if nothing else), it would require 2-3 times as many setups as something like Horrible.

Apparently they do this all the time. Whedon is such a Shakespeare nut that he would invite actor friends over to do plays in his living room or something. They just finally decided to film it.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

What does the length of the play have to do with an adaptation? As 8 said, it's not like they just decided to do this thing, it's probably been in Whedon's head for a while now. Also, Dr. Horrible had props and even some special effects.... and a horse! No matter how much you improvise, it's still a pretty complicated shoot when it comes to logistics.

I have a number of friends that throw together impromptu Shakespeare productions all the time.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    If it's a joke (and I could totally see Whedon & his gang pulling this), it's a pretty clever joke.
    Why?

EW interview with Whedon... and Maher, and Acker.

If it's a joke, they're taking it pretty far.

- - - - -
    Apparently they do this all the time.
    Did you read that in the press release article talking about this film?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    What does the length of the play have to do with an adaptation?
    Because shooting 120+ pages of film script is not like shooting an episode of television (which is what Horrible essentially was). Especially if that script is based on a 3 hour play written in archaic language.

If they did this over 2 weeks, they'd have to schedule 8-10 pages a day, every day, for 12-15 days straight, That's more or less a tv-production pace. It doesn't leave much room for error. It leaves no time for rehearsals. It's also something like a 12-16 hour workday for the principals, most of whom, afaik, have fulltime jobs.

If they pulled it off at anywhere above a "Shakespeare in the Park" kind of level, kudos to them. But I'm skeptical.

Also take note, this is not a musical, which is more labor-intensive because you have to worry about recording, lip-syncing, etc.

Still, a lot of work. No wonder Joss has gotten so skinny.

I'm enjoying the LET'S PUT ON A SHOW! aspect of the whole thing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Aw, man, Anthony Head was going to be Leonato originally? I'm going to be totally sad about that for a minute.

Smart gimmick, keeping it a secret. That creates interest beyond the die-hards that were already going to see this (Whedon geeks, Shakespeare nerds.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Did you read that in the press release article talking about this film?
    We're fans, we know these things. And yes, Whedon's fans are more likely to know these things than most fans.

Hell, I even noticed when Fillion was absent, Maher and many others involved mentioned something coming up in passing, a photo with Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, Felicia Day, Fillion and Tony Head - all in Whedon's house (didn't make sense at the time, but they were probably visiting for the shoot, and Head was at one point going to replace Gregg) etc.

Oh, and regarding these long-term Shakespeare readings, I've been hearing about them since I watched a bunch of supplemental material on "Once More With Feeling."

They were talking about how all that came together, and how they would get the BtVS people over to Joss' house to do Shakespeare readings and music nights, which is when they figured out the cast could sing and it eventually became the musical episode. And that was about ten years ago.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I've heard of Nathan Fillion, but other than that, I don't know any of these people.
    In the Whedonverse, they're stars. In regular Hollywood, they're working actors with a look-it's-that-guy-from-that-thing quality.

I feel an intense desire to run them down for you.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I feel an intense desire to run them down for you.
    I've been fighting that urge. I think you'd do better. Do it!

QUICK CHEAT SHEET TO THE WHEDONVERSE ACTORS

Amy Acker, playing Beatrice

Inverse: Fred on Angel, Dr. Saunders on Dollhouse

Outverse: was on Alias, guest stars on several big shows, larger parts on several failed shows.

Known for being: adorable. Had a darker character in Dollhouse, but is generally beloved for her characters that are charming and awkward. Although she didn't play any of Whedon's more aggressively sexy characters, she is the object of many nerd crushes.

Alexis Denisof, playing Benedick

Inverse: Wesley on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Senator Perrin on Dollhouse

Outverse: Lots of guest or recurring spots on television shows, especially How I Met Your Mother with his wife, Alyson Hannigan. Actually, outverse, he might be most famous for being married to Alyson Hannigan and putting a baby in her.

Known for being: either English or American upon request, and fluctuating between nebbish and ineffectual, and action-hero badass.

Nathan Fillion as Dogberry

Inverse: Captain Mal on Firefly, Captain Hammer on Dr. Horrible, Caleb on Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Outverse: Castle on Castle, being Nathan Fillion all over the place

Known for being: nerdy, gregarious, charming.

Reed Diamond as Don Pedro

Inverse: Dominic on Dollhouse

Outverse: Homicide and other cop shows

Known for being: scary.

Fran Kranz as Claudio

Inverse: Topher on Dollhouse, the main guy in this.

Outverse: Hasn't done much yet, as Dollhouse was his breakout role. Deserves to be a star.

Known for being: distinctive in voice and mannerisms, funny, and being absolutely fantastic at showing inner turmoil and suffering without ever being overwrought.

Sean Maher as Don John

Inverse: Simon Tam on Firefly

Outverse: Several guest-starring roles, and main cast on The Playboy Club, which just got cancelled. Also just came out in EW, which got some press.

Known for being: stoic, serious, and nervous.

Tom Lenk as Verges

Inverse: Andrew on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Outverse: Guest spots all over the place.

Known for being: funny, nerdy, awkward.

These are good actors, but they're not well-known actors. And, they are mostly television actors, although I'm sure they have film and theater experience. I'm very intrigued.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Wow, you're like a Whedonverse agent.

I understand why most of the Whedon regulars get lost in the shuffle and I'm okay with them being niche actors, but I really think that in a just world, Fran Kranz and Enver Gnokaj should be MASSIVE movie stars.
    Movie Theater Diary

I understand why most of the Whedon regulars get lost in the shuffle and I'm okay with them being niche actors, but I really think that in a just world, Fran Kranz and Enver Gnokaj should be MASSIVE movie stars.
    Gjokaj. It's pronounced like the "Dj" in Djokovic.

And yeah, there are a number of guys who have created careers on film by doing what Kranz does, only worse. And Gjokaj has incredible versatility, while also being very physical. He could blend into so many roles perfectly.

That was actually just a typo.
    Movie Theater Diary

I know. I threw in the pronunciation on a whim.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast