Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday / Cyber Monday Stuff

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Black Friday / Cyber Monday Stuff

Not sure if anyone participates in Black Friday. I know the economy sucks and sometimes it's worth standing out in the cold for a couple hours for some great deals. I've done it once back in 2009. It wasn't too bad of an experience and I ended up leaving with three TVs!

Anyway, Amazon launched their black Friday store today.

Use this thread to post other good BF deals.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Anyone who sees good Cyber Monday deals, I like those as well.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I really, really hope that the Walmart workers strike on Black Friday like they say they're going to. It's disgusting what people do to save a few bucks. Mobs of people fighting over items, trading their dignity for dollars - totally bizarre behavior.

I've been trying to think of a way in which people could sponsor the WM workers, and pay their wages for a day(s). I know this doesn't help much, because there is a good chance they will be fired after striking, but I want to do something beyond just encouraging them to stand up for themselves and the value as employees and human beings.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Not sure if anyone participates in Black Friday.

I would rather be shot in the face at point-blank range.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

I won't physically go to stores, but I'll order stuff online if it's a good deal.
    ...and the milk's in me.

How many people will be trampled to death this year? We should start a pool.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I won't physically go to stores, but I'll order stuff online if it's a good deal.
    Yep. The whole stampede thing...no thanks.

In a weird twist of scheduling, due to some theater season tickets I have, I always have a show on Black Friday, for the last three years. It's become my mini-tradition. I make turkey leftovers, play board games with my family, then haul myself out to a play.

It's actually really nice.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I only use Black Friday for small stuff like games and blu-rays which most retail stores put their deals online.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I work at a mall for my full-time gig. Luckily, my store doesn't really do anything on Black Friday, so no stampedes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Stampedes in Detroit will happen. For sure.

Standing inline at a Maine Best Buy is pretty calm.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'd rather shoot somebody in the face at pointblank range than participate in black Friday.

Once I went to the Target in the Atlantic Center in Brooklyn on Black Friday. Biggest mistake of my life.

"I've made a huge mistake," said Sven.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    That's what I always do.

And for once, there's something I actually NEED - My HDTV blew last month and my electronics wizard of a dad couldnt fix it, so I'm looking out for a replacement.

Better believe it will be on line though. I am NOT braving those crowds.

(What I hope is that I can buy online and pick it up at the store later).

Unless you guys live in Detroit or Cleveland I don't know what you're worried about.

I'd rather brew beer on Black Friday than be out in the stampedes. So I do.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Unless you guys live in Detroit or Cleveland I don't know what you're worried about.
    No matter where you are, you lose dignity, and say, "I've made a big mistake."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I work on Fridays, so I won't be out there anyways. But I've never stood in line for a Black Friday sale, and I never will. Its just not worth my time.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Excuse me?

I participate in Black Friday shopping...but I don't wait in any lines. I mosey in when I get around to it, and if something is there I want, I buy it.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    No matter where you are, you lose dignity, and say, "I've made a big mistake."
    And especially if you're in Detroit. Those guys can't even win a single world series game.

- - - - -
    You guys are nuts. Going to the physical stores is the best part. I love just standing off to the side and watch the enormous crowds and sheer craziness of the whole thing.

The trick to enjoying the entire experience is not to buy anything outside a snack at the food court or curbside pretzel stand.

Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    You guys are nuts. Going to the physical stores is the best part. I love just standing off to the side and watch the enormous crowds and sheer craziness of the whole thing.

The trick to enjoying the entire experience is not to buy anything outside a snack at the food court or curbside pretzel stand.
    TOTALLY on board with this, though I think you can buy something of substance and still enjoy the experience so long as the experience is the real point of going. Let the shopping be secondary with no goal to get in and get out to another store in time to catch any deal. Don't NEED anything - leave the essential items for Cyber Monday and the comfort of your own home. Assume that any hot ticket item is going to be gone by the time you get there and avoid wanting it. If there is any bit of pressure or time constraint, it's a set up for being miserable out there.

I just stroll in later in the day to marvel at the spectacle of consumerism at its zenith and browse around for a great deal I wasn't expecting to run across. Thus, I always come out having enjoyed the show and maybe gotten a cool scarf or DVD as a bonus.

Though you can still get really great stuff shopping this way. Last year I went to Walmart at around 11am (again, with NO expectations). Didn't pick up anything from the ad for one reason or another but I happened upon a wireless HP color printer/scanner/copier/fax machine for about $50. Wasn't even planning to get it but seeing it while browsing reminded me that I desperately needed a printer replacement upgrade. And it was a great deal!

I don't go out at 5 or 6am and wait in line, but I still don't miss Black Friday if I can help it.

Have you people not watched Dawn of the Dead? Consumerism is bad and you should feel bad.

And especially if you're in Detroit. Those guys can't even win a single world series game.
    If K-Fan was still alive he would be all over this post like Pablo Sandoval on a Justin Verlander fastball.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast