Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The Avengers (2012)

Here are the Mondo posters for Hulk, Iron Man and Thor. Cap and Black Widow are still the best.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This was Awesome!! More tomorrow as i'm about to go to sleep.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

What of it? (the last part was facetious)

Question for comic fans:

I'm a little bummed we won't see WWII era again in Captain America sequels, as I rather liked the portrayal in the first movie. Are there more good stories that take place in said era, or are we better off just going to present day?
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

Extended thoughts (pretty much spoiler-free):

(+)

The direction is first rate for this kind of picture. Given the epic destruction that goes down throughout the last half, and boy is it epic, Whedon's helming is incredibly coherent, visually pleasing, spatially correct and the man even throws in a bunch of visceral pov shots.

The protagonists are such an awesome bunch together. I was concerned that this movie was going to implode due to superhero overdose, but this gang, working together, was unbelievably cool and each one really gets his or her moments in the spotlight. Their banter together is frequently engaging, but there are moments of earnestness among them also. I'm really a convert as per this kind of premise and I started fantasizing about the likes of Blade and Ghost Rider added to the sequel. Which is never going to happen and would be shit anyway, but this is arguably the first time that a comic book movie has really unleashed the inner geek inside of me. What a motherfucking team we've got here. In fact, I think it would be a privilege to be able to see these guys simply go out and order pizza, get drunk and just doing regular things that regular folks do. They were fun together, the chemistry was undeniable.

The Humour was exactly right. Not overbearing so that it tips the balance in favor of sheer comedy, nor out of character so that we're left wondering where the hell that came from. Audiences in Belgium rarely cheer and clap hands, but Hulk has two moments, that, well, I'm not gonna say it. They're like 1,2 seconds long, but they're pitch perfect, gutbustingly funny, entirely spontaneous and yet completely logical when you think about him and his proclivities. Totally goddamn hilarious!

The FX were, given the complexity of it all, fantastic.

(+)/(-)

The villains were good enough I suppose. Hiddleston is clearly relishing every moment, and the alien invaders (espesh the big snake) are visually immense, massive, imposing, but despite the calamitous nature of the last half, I can't say I was ever truly on the edge of my seat as per the possible outcome. Speaking strictly in terms of the invasion angle, ID4 and even Skyline both offered a more formidable threat, a more persuasive sense of menace and of humanity being crushed, being exterminated. Still, not everyone lives to fight another day in The Avengers (sniff!) so there's definitely a sense of loss in this.

The Music was decent, but oh Alan what happened to you? There was a time when themes were clearly discernible amongst your output. The great Forrest Gump suite, the gloriously patriotic score for The Delta Force, your iconic theme for Back to the Future, but even the lesser likes of Eraser and Blown Away had a melodic rhythm to them, qualities that were undeniable even during the more action heavy moments. The Avengers might have done well with a rousing main theme - think Jablonsky's "Arrival to Earth" for Transformers - but alas your score was merely apt, propelling the action.

The Story was ok. There were definitely more personal issues at stake, but I've gotta say in the end this plays out as a standard invasion flick and whatever deeper themes there may have been, they're not what I ultimately remember from this. Still, like I said above, it's a great looking flick and within those narrative confines, The Avengers gets a lot mileage thanks to the direction, the cast, the writing, the kickass action scenes. Iron Man has a great moment at the end that was really fantastic to watch. Some randomness was still there such as the 1st appearance of Thor which was odd since there was no portal anywhere when he popped up. But then I figured he never went back to Asgard, but then how was he summoned during that sequence? There's a small sequence a little after the end credits have started that clearly sets up a new Avengers flick by introducing what must obviously be an important character, but I had never heard of him. If you want to know who it is, just ask.

(-)

N/A

==================

In the end, this is an easy •••½ rating for me. It really just oozes tremendous fun from start to finish and those 144 minutes pass rather quickly. It turns these heroes into absolute badasses, far more than they ever were in their own movies and seeing them do their stuff, working together, in spite of their egos, towards a common goal was exhilarating.

Final note: Stellan Skarsgård was in this. Last week I saw his son Alexander in Battleship. I fully expect to see Ma Skarsgård in American Reunion which is probably the next flick I'm gonna watch.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Neill Cumpston, we've missed you

First off, Iron Man isn’t even the only superhero in the movie. There’s like five other heroes – Mr. Hammer, Soldier Man, Leather Spider, Scowly Arrow and Green Ferrigno. And what’s really cool is that you first get to see them basically beat the shit out of each other for the first hour, and then they beat the shit out of this dude who looks like Zooey Deschanel wearing a magician costume and his army of alien penis-looking-dudes wearing armor and riding these flying space-scooters. So it’s basically two ass-kicking movies, and anytime there isn’t ass-kicking Sam Jackson comes in and yells at people, which should happen in every movie.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    HAHA Both Morris and Boner's post is what I liked to hear this morning.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Jesus from now on whenever I think of Hulk, I'm gonna think "Green Ferrigno".

Awesome!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Kiusagi (view post)
    Question for comic fans:

I'm a little bummed we won't see WWII era again in Captain America sequels, as I rather liked the portrayal in the first movie. Are there more good stories that take place in said era, or are we better off just going to present day?
    You can always get good adventure stories set in WWII, but the very thing that defines Captain America as most people know it in the comics is that he's an anachronistic man, so going present day is probably best. There's always flashbacks anyway.

Honestly, I think it's cool that we got one set entirely in WWII to begin with. I know they played around with the idea of having it half-and-half even in the first movie.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This is the best tv spot so far, imo. Great pace and music and editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=psiwi0l6DgY#!

EDIT: Ah, it's fan-made, scratch that. But what a nice job!
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

THE AVENGERS is pre-selling more tickets for the upcoming release than the online ticketing company sold for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, THOR, IRON MAN 2, and IRON MAN combined at the same point in the sales cycle for each film.
    !!!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I've been confused as to why for months leading up to the release, most box office analysts, major movie news outlets and even geekier blogs have seemed to expect this to make little more than the first Iron Man. Do they not think that anyone who's a fan of any one of the characters or their prior films would definitely be at least a little excited to see the big event where they come together? And even then, you have the people who will probably just be rushing to catch up with all of them because this is going to be such a big thing. Sure there's a significant overlap in the grosses of Iron Man with Thor and Captain America, so I'm not saying to conceive of the numbers of all of those to be combined for Avengers to be the biggest domestic release ever, but it's just that none of the standalone movies were the sort of thing that every single person I know including my mom were vocal about having to see in theatres.

But now that it's actually tracking strongly, coming out overseas and coming close to breaking records, I think everyone's starting to adjust their expectations upwards a little bit.

And even though it's just a week away, I still can't wait.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Going to hopefully buy my 12am tickets for Thurs night/Fri morning today. My theater doesn't do online ticket buying. :-|
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Right, let's close this thread. Having two simultaneous Avengers discussions will get way too schizo.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516