Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: The Academy Awards Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Is that still a thing?
    In Australia, yes. Ours was actually the (stastically proven!) lowest earning Blockbuster store in Sydney until we moved to a smaller space, sharing with a sports goods store through a door entrance, and a loud gym on the floor above knocking the rent down even further. It's ridiculously quiet much of the time. I love it.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    In Australia, yes. Ours was actually the (stastically proven!) lowest earning Blockbuster store in Sydney until we moved to a smaller space, sharing with a sports goods store through a door entrance, and a loud gym on the floor above knocking the rent down even further. It's ridiculously quiet much of the time. I love it.
    Do people still complain about letterboxing, etc. or have widescreen tv's finally wiped that particular scourge from the earth?

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Do people still complain about letterboxing, etc. or have widescreen tv's finally wiped that particular scourge from the earth?
    Most of the customers likely don't know what letterboxing is. I assume the ones with that level of savvy have no use for a Blockbuster nowadays.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Sinister or cynical? Because I actually think I'm less cynical than I was in my 20s. I've been trying to be more sinister though. I bought a cauldron.
    That's the joke. (a poor one I suppose). I feel like as MC ages, we become not just more critical, but take great pleasure in it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I am really kind of confused about the way "red stater" is being thrown around in this thread.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I am really kind of confused about the way "red stater" is being thrown around in this thread.
    Red Stater = people who live in the middle of the country and love The Blind Side. Of course, it's reductive and not completely lacking in meanspiritedness, so I assumed it would confuse you.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    In Australia, yes.
    Is that still a thing?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I seriously do not understand the decision to expand the Best Picture nominees. I am 90% convinced that it was a backend deal between the Academy and the studios with absolutely no other goal other than to be able to boost the dwindling market by giving more movies the opportunity to market itself as a Best Picture nominee.
    I actually kinda dig it. Hearkens back to classic Hollywood times, gives a few more films exposure, showcases a larger variety of film styles and stories.

Even when we had five nominees, it's usually a two-horse race due to earlier award ceremonies, so why not make the whole thing a larger celebration of the medium? (On that note, I liked the testimonials with actors and directors talking about the films that they first saw.)

I have no doubt there were corporate considerations as well.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324